Question about linear order relations

In summary, The dictionary order, denoted by \preceq, is defined on the linearly ordered set (X, \leq) as follows: (x,y) \preceq (x', y') if x=x' or if x=x' and y \leq y'. This order is also known as lexicographic order. To prove that \preceq is a linear order relation on XxX, we need to show that it is reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive. This can be done by brute force, starting with proving reflexivity and then moving on to antisymmetry and transitivity. Since XxX is just a set and not already linearly ordered, we cannot assume
podboy6
Okay, so I have a homework problem I'm a little confused about,

Let (X,[tex] \leq ) [/tex] be a linearly ordered set. Define the dictionary order, [tex] \preceq [/tex] on XxX by (x,y) [tex] \preceq [/tex] (x', y') if x=x' or if x=x' and y[tex] \leq [/tex]y'. Prove that the dictionary order is a linear order relation on XxX.

The textbook is pretty useless and we didn't go into types of orders very much in class. So, am I to show that the dictionary order is reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive on XxX, since XxX is already linearly ordered? I hadn't even heard of the dictionary order until I saw this problem, so I'm a little confused as to how to start it off.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've usually heard it called "lexicographic order". Anyways...

since XxX is already linearly ordered?
No it's not! XxX is just a set!

Your goal is to show [itex](X \times X, \preceq)[/itex] is a total order...
So, am I to show that the dictionary order is reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive on XxX
which means you have to do this.

I'm a little confused as to how to start it off.
Just plow forward and do it. There's no trick to it, no cleverness is required: you just brute force your way through the logic. You know you're supposed to prove this ordering to be reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive. So, just start trying to prove it reflexive! What does it mean for this ordering to be reflexive?

Last edited:

Related to Question about linear order relations

1. What is a linear order relation?

A linear order relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two elements in a set. It specifies the order in which the elements occur, with one element being "before" or "less than" the other.

2. How is a linear order relation different from other types of relations?

A linear order relation is different from other types of relations because it follows a specific set of rules and properties. It is a strict ordering, meaning that it is transitive, antisymmetric, and total. This means that it is always possible to compare two elements and determine which one comes first in the ordering.

3. What are some real-life examples of linear order relations?

Linear order relations can be found in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, the order of events in a timeline, the ranking of items in a list, and the ordering of numbers on a number line are all examples of linear order relations.

4. How are linear order relations represented in mathematics?

In mathematics, linear order relations are typically represented using symbols and mathematical notation. The most common notation is the "less than" symbol (<), where a < b means that a comes before b in the ordering. Other symbols, such as ≤ (less than or equal to) and > (greater than), can also be used to represent a linear order relation.

5. What is the importance of studying linear order relations?

Studying linear order relations is important in many areas of mathematics, such as algebra, calculus, and graph theory. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science and economics. Understanding linear order relations allows us to make comparisons and organize information, making it a fundamental concept in many areas of study.