Question about Learning Quantum Physics

In summary, the group discusses the question of what math and physics courses are necessary for a better understanding of quantum mechanics. The suggested background includes pre-calculus, calculus I-III, differential equations, linear algebra, probability and statistics, and university physics I and II. It is recommended to also have knowledge in classical mechanics. Some suggested books for self-study include "Quantum Mechanics" by Ohanian and "Atoms and Molecules" by Karplus and Porter. The group also discusses the development of linear algebra and its relation to quantum mechanics. The Dirac method is also mentioned as a good starting point for studying quantum mechanics.
alirezaz
Hi quantum people :smile: ,

I am so interested in quantum physics. I want to study this subject on my own. I have taken these math classes:

Pre-Calculus
Calculus I
Calculus II
Calculus III
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Probability and Statistics

And these physics courses:

University Physics I
University Physics II

What kind of math and physics courses I need to have for better understanding of QM?

Any Suggestions would help.

Thanks.

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
This is too obvious of a question not to be asked.

If you are planning on taking a QM class in college, shouldn't a description of that class also contain the prerequisites to take that class? This should tell you exactly the level you need.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is too obvious of a question not to be asked.

If you are planning on taking a QM class in college, shouldn't a description of that class also contain the prerequisites to take that class? This should tell you exactly the level you need.

Zz.
The questioner clearly stated it was for self study.

That is a good background (at least for a start).
There with no doubt gaps in mathematics. A basic book of applied mathematics would be helpful.

lurflurf said:
The questioner clearly stated it was for self study.

That is a good background (at least for a start).
There with no doubt gaps in mathematics. A basic book of applied mathematics would be helpful.

Oops. I missed that part.

Zz.

pick up a book

Given your background I would get a book on Modern physics or
an intro book to quantum.

Quantum Mechanics by Ohanian
is a good intro.
A book that is applied to spectroscopy might also be a good start
because it applies QM directly to more tangible problems.

Look at Atoms and Molecules by Karplus and Porter

dgiznya said:
Given your background I would get a book on Modern physics or
an intro book to quantum.

Quantum Mechanics by Ohanian
is a good intro.
A book that is applied to spectroscopy might also be a good start
because it applies QM directly to more tangible problems.

Look at Atoms and Molecules by Karplus and Porter

Thanks for help

I would recommend getting a firmer background in some classical mechanics, such as Lagrange's equations and Hamilton's equations. You don't need a lot of depth, but it makes the intuition about the problems a little firmer.

All you really need to know to do QM is linear algebra and calculus (basic QM that is)

I was wondering if linear algebra was developed because of QM.

That is a good question. I think linear algebra already existed at the end of the 19th century (therefore, before QM). The most important theorems had already been put forth by Jacobi, Calley etc.

I think Heisenberg periodicaly asked Jacobi for help

It is fairly common that the mathematical theory exists before the physicists want to use it... but after that point, the needs of physicists often become one of the many factors that contribute to the direction in which the theory is developed.

you may want to start with the dirac method

Related to Question about Learning Quantum Physics

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the smallest scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles behave and interact with each other, and how they can be manipulated and controlled.

2. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics has led to many groundbreaking discoveries and technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and nuclear energy. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of the universe and the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales.

3. How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of larger objects in our everyday world, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Unlike classical physics, quantum physics allows for particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously and can exhibit properties of both particles and waves.

4. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are physically separated. This is a key concept in quantum physics and has been studied for its potential applications in communication and computing.

5. How can I learn quantum physics?

Learning quantum physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as a willingness to think abstractly and question traditional notions of reality. There are many resources available, such as textbooks, online courses, and educational videos, to help you learn about quantum physics and its applications.