Question about Laplace(Potential) equation of disk.

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary: Ok. You have f(x) of period 2p and you know how to calculate FS for functions of period 2π. So you let g(x) = f(\frac p \pi x) so g has period 2π. So we knowg(x) \sim \sum a_n\cos{(nx)} + b_n\sin{(nx)}whereb_n =\frac 1 \pi \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} g(x) \sin{(nx)}\ dxand similarly for an. Now substitute x = \frac \pi p t in the series:g(\frac \pi p t) \sim \sum a_n\cos{(\frac {n
yungman
Laplace equation:

[tex]\frac{R''}{R} + \frac{1}{r}\frac{R'}{R} + \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\Theta''}{\Theta} =0 [/tex]

Which give:

[tex]r^2\frac{R''}{R} + r\frac{R'}{R} - \lambda R =0 \;and\; \Theta '' + \lambda \Theta =0 [/tex]

[tex]\theta \;is\; 2\pi \;periodic\; \Rightarrow\; \Theta \;is\; 2\pi \;periodic\;[/tex]

My question is: Why then [tex]\theta \;is\; 2\pi \;periodic\; \Rightarrow\;\lambda = n^2[/tex] where n= 0,1,2,3...

AND

[tex] \Theta = a_n cos(n\theta) + b_n sin(n\theta)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
Laplace equation:

[tex]\frac{R''}{R} + \frac{1}{r}\frac{R'}{R} + \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\Theta''}{\Theta} =0 [/tex]

Which give:

[tex]r^2\frac{R''}{R} + r\frac{R'}{R} - \lambda R =0 \;and\; \Theta '' + \lambda \Theta =0 [/tex]

[tex]\theta \;is\; 2\pi \;periodic\; \Rightarrow\; \Theta \;is\; 2\pi \;periodic\;[/tex]

What do you mean by [itex]\theta[/itex] is periodic? It obviously isn't. Maybe you mean the solution is periodic in [itex]\theta[/itex]?

My question is: Why then [tex]\theta \;is\; 2\pi \;periodic\; \Rightarrow\;\lambda = n^2[/tex] where n= 0,1,2,3...

AND

If the solution is periodic in [itex]\theta[/itex] than

[tex]u(r,\theta) = u(r, \theta + 2\pi)\hbox{ and }u_\theta(r,\theta) = u_\theta(r,\theta+2\pi)[/tex]

and those boundary conditions on your [itex]\Theta[/itex] will give you the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

As a side note, I find the your use of gigantic font size in your posts to be very annoying.

LCKurtz said:
What do you mean by [itex]\theta[/itex] is periodic? It obviously isn't. Maybe you mean the solution is periodic in [itex]\theta[/itex]?

If the solution is periodic in [itex]\theta[/itex] than

[tex]u(r,\theta) = u(r, \theta + 2\pi)\hbox{ and }u_\theta(r,\theta) = u_\theta(r,\theta+2\pi)[/tex]

and those boundary conditions on your [itex]\Theta[/itex] will give you the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

As a side note, I find the your use of gigantic font size in your posts to be very annoying.

Because [tex]0< \theta< 2\pi[/tex]. which is periodic of [tex]2\pi[/tex].

Yes, [tex]u(r,\theta) = u(r, \theta + 2\pi)\hbox{ and }u_\theta(r,\theta) = u_\theta(r,\theta+2\pi)[/tex]

I want to clarify, I understand Eigen values. I want to know the physical meaning. I have been working on this myself and I come up with this explanation:

[tex]\Theta '' + \lambda \Theta =0 [/tex]

Let [tex]\lambda = \mu^2[/tex]

[tex]\mu=\frac{n(\hbox{ Radian in a Period})}{(\hbox {Length of Period(length or radian)})}[/tex]

In this case, (Radian in a Period ) is [itex] 2\pi[/tex]. Length of the period is [itex] 2\pi[/tex]. Therefore [itex] \mu=\frac{n(2\pi)}{2\pi}=n[/itex]

For period in length instead of radian in case of string with length of L and fixed at x=0 and x=L:

[tex]\mu=\frac{n(\hbox{ Radian in a Period})}{(\hbox {Length of Period(length or radian)})}=\frac{n\pi}{L}[/tex]

[tex] \Theta = a_n cos(\frac{n\pi}{L}) + b_n sin(\frac{n\pi}{L})[/tex]

Can anyone comment on my understanding?

Last edited:
yungman said:
I want to clarify, I understand Eigen values. I want to know the physical meaning. I have been working on this myself and I come up with this explanation:

[tex]\Theta '' + \lambda \Theta =0 [/tex]

Let [tex]\lambda = \mu^2[/tex]

[tex]\mu=\frac{n(\hbox{ Radian in a Period})}{(\hbox {Length of Period(length or radian)})}[/tex]

In this case, (Radian in a Period ) is [itex] 2\pi[/tex]. Length of the period is [itex] 2\pi[/tex]. Therefore [itex] \mu=\frac{n(2\pi)}{2\pi}=n[/itex]

For period in length instead of radian in case of string with length of L and fixed at x=0 and x=L:

[tex]\mu=\frac{n(\hbox{ Radian in a Period})}{(\hbox {Length of Period(length or radian)})}=\frac{n\pi}{L}[/tex]

[tex] \Theta = a_n cos(\frac{n\pi}{L}) + b_n sin(\frac{n\pi}{L})[/tex]

Can anyone comment on my understanding?

It is hard to tell what you understand from what you have written. Do you know how to solve the [itex]\Theta[/itex] boundary value problem to derive the [itex]\mu_n[/itex] and the sine and cosine eigenfunctions?

LCKurtz said:
It is hard to tell what you understand from what you have written. Do you know how to solve the [itex]\Theta[/itex] boundary value problem to derive the [itex]\mu_n[/itex] and the sine and cosine eigenfunctions?

Yes I do, I have no problem with the BVP:

[tex]\Theta '' +\lambda \Theta = 0 [/tex] is a constant coef. which give:

[tex] \Theta(\theta)=acos(\sqrt{\lambda}\theta) +bsin(\sqrt{\lambda}\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\lambda = \mu^2[/tex]

From periodic,[tex] \lambda = \mu^2 = n^2[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \Theta_n(\theta)=a_n cos(n\theta) +b_n sin(n\theta)[/tex]

All I want to do is to verify my understanding of the eigen value intepretation since this is respect to [tex]\theta[/tex] instead of respect to length on x-axis where [itex] \mu_n=\frac{n\pi}{L}[/itex].

I guess I am trying to define [itex]\mu_n[/itex] in English.

Last edited:
I did further digging. This basically boil down to the Fourier series expansions of function of arbitrary period:

For period of [itex]2\pi[/itex]

[tex] \Theta = a_n cos(n\theta) + b_n sin(n\theta)[/tex] (1)

For function of arbitrary period of 2p:

[tex] \Theta = a_n cos(\frac{n\pi}{L}) + b_n sin(\frac{n\pi}{L})[/tex] (2)

I looked through a few textbooks, most don't even have any derivations. Only Asmar gave some sort of steps:

For f(x) is a function of period of T=2p, Let [itex]g(x) = f(\frac{p}{\pi}x) [/itex]:

[tex]g(x+2\pi) = f(\frac{p}{\pi}(x+2\pi)}) = f(\frac{p}{\pi}x+2p) = f(\frac{p}{\pi}x)=g(x)[/tex]

I still don't see the connection how this derive from (1) to (2).

Ok. You have f(x) of period 2p and you know how to calculate FS for functions of period 2π. So you let [itex]g(x) = f(\frac p \pi x)[/itex] so g has period 2π. So we know

[tex]g(x) \sim \sum a_n\cos{(nx)} + b_n\sin{(nx)}[/tex]

where

[tex]b_n =\frac 1 \pi \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} g(x) \sin{(nx)}\ dx[/tex]

and similarly for an. Now substitute [itex]x = \frac \pi p t[/itex] in the series:

[tex]g(\frac \pi p t) \sim \sum a_n\cos{(\frac {n\pi} p t)} + b_n\sin{(\frac {n\pi} p t)}[/tex]

But [itex]g(\frac \pi p t) = f(t)[/itex] so we have

[tex]f(t) \sim \sum a_n\cos{(\frac {n\pi} p t)} + b_n\sin{(\frac {n\pi} p t)}[/tex]

Now let's make the substitution [itex]x =\frac \pi p t,\ dx =\frac \pi p dt[/itex] in the formula for bn

[tex]b_n =\frac 1 \pi \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} g(x) \sin{(nx)}\ dx=\frac 1 \pi\int_{-p}^pg(\frac{\pi t} p )\ \frac \pi p\,\sin{\frac{n\pi t}p}\ dt
=\frac 1 p\int_{-p}^p f(t)\sin{\frac{n\pi t}p}\ dt[/tex]

The same thing works for the an. This shows how you can get the formulas for 2p from those for 2π. And, of course, putting p = π in these new formulas gets the old ones.

Thanks, that really clear it up.

Have a nice day.

Related to Question about Laplace(Potential) equation of disk.

1. What is Laplace's equation of a disk?

Laplace's equation of a disk is a mathematical equation that describes the potential field generated by a circular disk. It is a partial differential equation that relates the second derivatives of the potential function to its spatial coordinates.

2. How is Laplace's equation of a disk derived?

Laplace's equation of a disk can be derived using the method of separation of variables. This involves breaking down the equation into simpler parts and solving them separately before combining them back together to obtain the final solution.

3. What are the boundary conditions for Laplace's equation of a disk?

The boundary conditions for Laplace's equation of a disk are that the potential function must be continuous and have a continuous first derivative at all points on the boundary of the disk.

4. What are some applications of Laplace's equation of a disk?

Laplace's equation of a disk has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in electrostatics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer. It is used to model various physical phenomena, including the electric potential around a charged disk and the temperature distribution on a circular plate.

5. How is Laplace's equation of a disk solved numerically?

Laplace's equation of a disk can be solved numerically using various methods, such as the finite difference method, the finite element method, and the boundary element method. These methods involve discretizing the domain and solving the resulting algebraic equations to approximate the solution.