Question about implicit differentiation

In summary, implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that cannot be solved explicitly for one of its variables. The chain rule is used to find the derivative of the composite function, and in the case of $y^2$, the derivative is $2y \frac{dy}{dx}$. This is crucial in solving problems involving implicit differentiation, as shown in the example of finding the slope of a tangent line to the curve $xe^y + y = 0$.
find_the_fun
Say you want to find the slop of a tangent line of the circle \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=25\)

I was following the directions here. I don't completely understand how the derivative of \(\displaystyle y^2\) becomes \(\displaystyle 2y\frac{dy}{dx}\). Shouldn't it become 0 if we are taking the derivative with respect to \(\displaystyle x\)? The website explains
Recall that the derivative (D) of a function of x squared, (f(x))2 , can be found using the chain rule
but to me that's not really saying anything; while I can see they used the chain rule why DID they use the chain rule, it seems like they just pulled it out of thin air.

Physics news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:
Say you want to find the slop of a tangent line of the circle \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=25\)

I was following the directions here. I don't completely understand how the derivative of \(\displaystyle y^2\) becomes \(\displaystyle 2y\frac{dy}{dx}\). Shouldn't it become 0 if we are taking the derivative with respect to \(\displaystyle x\)? The website explains but to me that's not really saying anything; while I can see they used the chain rule why DID they use the chain rule, it seems like they just pulled it out of thin air.

Since $y^2$ varies with $x$, you can expect $\frac{d(y^2)}{dx}$ to be nonzero. They computed $\frac{d(y^2)}{dx}$ by the chain rule:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d(y^2)}{dx} = \frac{d(y^2)}{dy} \frac{dy}{dx} = 2y \frac{dy}{dx}\).

In problems involving implicit differentiation, you are usually given an equation of the form $F(x,y) = 0$ where $y$ depends on $x$, and you are asked to find $\frac{dy}{dx}$. If $F(x,y) = 0$ can't be solved explicitly for $y$, it is crucial to use the chain rule to find $\frac{dy}{dx}$. For example, consider the equation

\(\displaystyle xe^y + y = 0\).

This equation can't be solved explicitly for $y$, but we can find $\frac{dy}{dx}$ as follows:

$\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(xe^y + y) = \frac{d}{dx}(0)$,

$\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(xe^y) + \frac{dy}{dx} = 0$,

$\displaystyle e^y + xe^y \frac{dy}{dx} + \frac{dy}{dx} = 0$,

$\displaystyle (xe^y + 1)\frac{dy}{dx} = -e^y$,

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{e^y}{xe^y+ 1}$.

Hence, we know the slope of the tangent line to the curve $xe^y + y = 0$ at the origin; it is

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}|_{(x,y) = (0,0)} = -1$.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm saying is for me the equality
Euge said:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d(y^2)}{dx} = \frac{d(y^2)}{dy} \frac{dy}{dx}\).
is not apparent. Can you please explain how \(\displaystyle \frac{d(y^2)}{dx} = \frac{d(y^2)}{dy} \frac{dy}{dx}\)?

find_the_fun said:
I guess what I'm saying is for me the equality

is not apparent. Can you please explain how \(\displaystyle \frac{d(y^2)}{dx} = \frac{d(y^2)}{dy} \frac{dy}{dx}\)?

Let $y = u(x)$ and $f(u) = u^2$. Then $y^2= f(u(x))$. So by the chain rule,

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dy}(y^2) = \frac{d}{du}(f(u)) \frac{du}{dx} = 2u(x) \frac{du}{dx} = 2y \frac{dy}{dx}\).

I finally got it. Here's how I understood it:
We know \(\displaystyle y\) is a function of \(\displaystyle x\), we just don't know what that function is. So \(\displaystyle y^2\) is a composite function and that's why we use the chain rule.
\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(y^2)=\frac{d}{dx}((f(x))^2\) and by the chain rule that becomes \(\displaystyle frac{d}{dx}(x^2) \cdot \frac{dy}{dx}\)

Related to Question about implicit differentiation

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of an implicitly defined function. This means that the function is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable, but rather as an equation involving both the independent and dependent variables.

2. When should implicit differentiation be used?

Implicit differentiation is typically used when it is difficult or impossible to explicitly solve for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable. This often occurs when the function is in the form of an equation instead of a function notation.

3. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

In explicit differentiation, the dependent variable is written explicitly as a function of the independent variable, making it easy to take the derivative. In implicit differentiation, the dependent variable is not written explicitly, so the chain rule must be used to find the derivative.

4. What is the process for performing implicit differentiation?

The process for implicit differentiation involves taking the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. Then, the chain rule is used to find the derivative of the dependent variable. Finally, the derivative of the dependent variable is solved for.

5. Can implicit differentiation be used for any type of function?

Implicit differentiation can be used for any type of function, as long as it is differentiable. However, it is most commonly used for implicit functions that cannot be easily solved for the dependent variable, such as equations involving logarithms, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.