Question about how two fundamental constants are measured

In summary, the permittivity of free space, \epsilon_0, and the magnetic permeability in vacuum, \mu_0, are not fundamental constants and are not measured. They are defined as unit-conversion factors and their values are determined by our choice of units for electric charge and current, and the electric and magnetic fields. The speed of light, c, is defined as 299 792 458 m/s exactly and is used to define the meter. The values of \epsilon_0 and \mu_0 can also be calculated from the electromagnetic wave equation. However, c was first measured electrically in 1856 and its value was chosen to best match the existing second before the new definition of the meter was
dand5
How is the permittivity of free space, [tex]\epsilon_0[/tex], and the magnetic permeability in vacuum, [tex]\mu_o[/tex], measured?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
They're not fundamental constants and are not measured. They're sort of like unit-conversion factors, and can be defined exactly.

Because of the way the ampere is defined, [itex]\mu_0 = 4 \pi \times 10^{-7}[/itex] N/A^2 exactly.

The speed of light [itex]c[/itex] is defined as 299 792 458 m/s exactly.

From the electromagnetic wave equation,

[tex]c = \frac {1} {\sqrt {\mu_0 \epsilon_0}}[/tex]

from which you can calculate [itex]\epsilon_0 = 8.8541878... \times 10^{-12}[/itex] C^2/N.m^2 to as many decimal places as you like, in principle. (limited only by how many decimal places you have for [itex]\pi[/itex])

Last edited:
Ok, I understand how the permiability is defined now. But I thought that the permitivitty of free space existed before the speed of light was defined. Also, I always thought the reason c could be "defined" was because the permiability and the permitivitty appeared in the Maxwell's equations out of which comes that relation for vacuum? But you are saying that c is defined first, then the permitivitty is determined. Is that right?

Thanks

dand5 said:
Ok, I understand how the permiability is defined now. But I thought that the permitivitty of free space existed before the speed of light was defined.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this statement.

Also, I always thought the reason c could be "defined" was because the permiability and the permitivitty appeared in the Maxwell's equations out of which comes that relation for vacuum?

No, [itex]c[/itex] is defined as a specific constant because (a) the speed of light is constant, as a fundamental principle of relativity which has been verified repeatedly by experiment, and (b) we can thereby define the meter as the distance light travels in 1/299792458 second. (We do this rather than define the second as the time it takes light to travel 299792458 meters, because we can measure time more precisely than distance, under the "old" definitions.)

But you are saying that c is defined first, then the permitivitty is determined. Is that right?

The values of [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex] are determined by our choice of units for electric charge and current, and the electric and magnetic fields. Advanced E&M textbooks, and theorists, commonly use Gaussian units, which eliminate [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex] completely from electromagnetic equations. Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics has a good discussion of this.

Last edited:
Ok, I understand it now. Thanks. Just out of curiosity, why was 1/299792458 chosen? Did it best match the existing second?

Ok, I understand how the permiability is defined now. But I thought that the permitivitty of free space existed before the speed of light was defined.

What, I meant by this was that the permittivity was used in Maxwell's equations before the advent of relativity, i.e. before it was known that the speed of light is frame independent.

mu0 and epsilon0 have nothing to do with the permeability and permittivity of free space. Those terms are completely wrong misnomers.
Each number comes from a mismatch of units. They were introduced by an Italian engineer named Giorgi in the early 1900's and somehow became internationally recognized in SI units due to the political activity of Georgi and his followers. The number for c was first measured electrically in 1856. Its close equality to the known speed of light was an early indication that light was an EM wave. After relativity, it was recognized that c was just the conversion between the space and time axes in space-time, so even c can no longer be measured. Its value is determined by definition of the meter using the distance light travels in one second. When this was done (not too long ago), they picked the best known value of c. Too bad, they didn't just pick 3.

dand5 said:
Ok, I understand it now. Thanks. Just out of curiosity, why was 1/299792458 chosen? Did it best match the existing second?

Basically, yes. Before that definition was made, the speed of light was directly measurable in terms of the earlier standard definitions of the meter and the second. The new definition of the meter was chosen to agree with the most precise value of the speed of light at that time, averaging together the best existing measurements and taking into account their experimental uncertainties. Thus the new definition would not disrupt any earlier measurements.

Related to Question about how two fundamental constants are measured

1. How are fundamental constants measured?

Fundamental constants are measured using a variety of methods, such as experiments that involve precise measurements of natural phenomena or theoretical calculations based on physical laws and principles. Some constants, like the speed of light, can be measured directly, while others may require more complex techniques.

2. What are the two fundamental constants being referred to?

The two fundamental constants typically referenced in this context are the speed of light (c) and the gravitational constant (G). These constants play a crucial role in describing the behavior of the universe and are used in various scientific equations and theories.

3. Why is it important to accurately measure fundamental constants?

Accurate measurements of fundamental constants allow scientists to better understand the laws and principles that govern our universe. They also help in developing and testing scientific theories, as well as in technological advancements and applications.

4. How have the measurements of fundamental constants changed over time?

The measurements of fundamental constants have improved and become more precise over time as scientific instrumentation and techniques have advanced. For example, the measurement of the speed of light has increased in accuracy from 0.0001% in the 17th century to 0.000000000000000000001% in modern times.

5. Are there any uncertainties in the measurements of fundamental constants?

Yes, there are always uncertainties in any scientific measurement. Factors like experimental error, limitations of technology, and the complexity of the phenomena being measured can contribute to these uncertainties. Scientists strive to minimize these uncertainties through rigorous testing and verification methods.