Question About Hilbert Space Convention

In summary, the inner product in a Hilbert space is linear in the first argument and anti-linear in the second argument, which is opposite of the usual convention in non-relativistic quantum mechanics. The Wikipedia article is correct, but physicists should be corrected as their convention goes against the functional analysis convention established by mathematicians. However, the Dirac notation used in physics is addictive and even mathematicians find it useful, especially in Rigged Hilbert Spaces.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
According to Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_space the inner product [itex]\langle x | y \rangle[/itex] is linear in the first argument and anti-linear in the second argument. That is:

[itex]\langle \lambda_1 x_1 + \lambda_2 x_2 | y \rangle = \lambda_1 \langle x_1 | y \rangle + \lambda_2 \langle x_2 | y \rangle[/itex]

[itex]\langle x | \lambda_1 y_1 + \lambda_2 y_2 \rangle = \lambda_1^* \langle x | y_1 \rangle + \lambda_2^* \langle x | y_2 \rangle[/itex]

That's just the opposite of what I always thought. I thought it was, for the usual Hilbert space of non-relativistic quantum mechanics:

[itex]\langle \psi | \phi \rangle = \int \psi^*(x) \phi(x) dx[/itex]

So it's the first argument, [itex]\psi[/itex] that is anti-linear.

Is the quantum mechanics convention the opposite of the usual Hilbert-space convention, or am I confused?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. Someone should correct the wikipedia.

You're right in mathematics it is the opposite convention. I should actually say that in physics it is the opposite convention. The wiki article is correct, the physicists should be corrected.

Yes, this made me crazy when I took the lecture "Topological Vector Spaces" by a mathematician. Their convention spoils all the intuitive things due to the Dirac convention. For the exercises I used to calculate everything in terms of the physicist's convention and then translated to by just flipping the order of the scalar products, when it came to special case of the Hilbert space ;-).

Likes bhobba
This is a well-known topic. I think wiki articles should follow the functional analysis convention ever since the first known book by MH Stone in 1932, then Riesz & Nagy 1954, etc.

vanhees71 said:
Yes, this made me crazy when I took the lecture "Topological Vector Spaces" by a mathematician. Their convention spoils all the intuitive things due to the Dirac convention.

Aren't that the truth.

I learned about Hilbert spaces in a math class - then had to unlearn it in physics :-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p

I simply learn't to live with it.

But I have to say the Dirac notation is addictive - even when mucking around with math stuff I use it - especially for Rigged Hilbert Spaces.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Question About Hilbert Space Convention

1. What is a Hilbert Space Convention?

A Hilbert Space Convention is a set of agreed upon principles and definitions for the mathematical concept of a Hilbert space. These conventions help unify and standardize the understanding and use of Hilbert spaces in various fields of mathematics and physics.

2. What are the key components of a Hilbert Space Convention?

The key components of a Hilbert Space Convention include defining the properties of a Hilbert space, such as completeness, orthogonality, and inner product, as well as establishing rules for operations and transformations within a Hilbert space. Additionally, conventions may also address specific applications of Hilbert spaces, such as in quantum mechanics or signal processing.

3. Why is a Hilbert Space Convention important in mathematics and physics?

A Hilbert Space Convention is important because it provides a standardized framework for working with Hilbert spaces, which are a fundamental concept in many areas of mathematics and physics. Without a convention, there may be inconsistencies or confusion in the use of Hilbert spaces, making it difficult to communicate and build upon previous work.

4. How does a Hilbert Space Convention impact research and experimentation?

A Hilbert Space Convention can have a significant impact on research and experimentation in mathematics and physics. By providing a common set of definitions and principles, it allows for more efficient communication and collaboration among researchers. It also enables the development of new theories and applications using a shared understanding of Hilbert spaces.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the Hilbert Space Convention?

There have been some debates and disagreements about certain aspects of the Hilbert Space Convention, particularly in regards to the use of certain axioms or definitions. However, these controversies are typically resolved through discussion and further research to refine and improve the conventions. Overall, the Hilbert Space Convention is widely accepted and considered to be a valuable tool in mathematics and physics.