Question about emailing future advisor.

In summary, the person is starting a Phd program in three weeks and is considering emailing their advisor with basic questions about what to read and how to prepare. They are worried about coming across as bothersome and are seeking advice on how to approach their advisor. Suggestions are to follow the completed staff work approach, read papers written by the advisor, consult with previous advisor for recommendations, and write a well-thought out email introducing themselves and asking relevant questions. It is also important to show respect and prepare for periodic meetings with the advisor.
nukapprentice
So I will be starting my Phd program in three weeks as a graduate intern. I was thinking of emailing my advisor with basic questions such as what I should be reading up on, relevant papers, what he would like me to get started on once I get there. However, I am worried that it will be perceived as bugging him. I was therefore wondering if it is alright to do this, and if it is, how I should go about doing it, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't start grad school with an adviser, but I did email my professors who were teaching the classes I was going to take and all of them replied in a time matter. Like any formal email, be respectful, introduce yourself, explain what information you would like and be sure to thank the person for their time. Just keep it short and readable :).

nukapprentice said:
So I will be starting my Phd program in three weeks as a graduate intern. I was thinking of emailing my advisor with basic questions such as what I should be reading up on, relevant papers, what he would like me to get started on once I get there. However, I am worried that it will be perceived as bugging him. I was therefore wondering if it is alright to do this, and if it is, how I should go about doing it, thanks.

Well you can follow the completed staff work approach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Completed_Staff_Work

http://partnersinexcellenceblog.com/completed-staff-work/

Find papers written by your new advisor and read them and follow his.her paper references.

Find other relevant papers, email your old advisor and ask him/her about papers/books to read.

Now having done one or more of the above write an intelligent email to your new advisor, introducing yourself
and mention you read up on his/her area of study and ask some questions based on what you've read.

This shows you have the initiative and drive to study on your own and with his/her guidance you'll do well in your work.

Also you're going to have to talk with your advisor on a periodic basis and each time you need to prepare so you don't walk in and have little to show or nothing to say that will put you on the track to be sidelined.

Yeah, too true about showing respect, Marnemath. So when did you end up getting your advisor? That stuff looks great Jedishrfu, I'll have to check it out. Yeah, what you said about reading their papers is really good advice (something I should have thought of), so I will definitely get on it. Anyways, thanks for the great words of wisdom.

I can understand your concerns about emailing your future advisor. However, it is completely normal and expected for graduate interns to reach out to their advisors before starting their program. In fact, it shows initiative and a desire to be prepared for your role. Your advisor will most likely appreciate your proactive approach and will be happy to provide guidance and resources for you to start your program on the right foot.

When drafting your email, make sure to be respectful and professional. Start by introducing yourself and briefly mentioning your excitement for starting the program. Then, explain your intentions for reaching out and ask for any recommendations or suggestions your advisor may have for you to prepare for your role. You can also mention any specific areas or topics you are interested in and would like to focus on during your program.

It is important to keep in mind that your advisor is there to support and guide you, and they want to see you succeed. So do not hesitate to ask questions and seek guidance from them. However, make sure to also respect their time and workload by not bombarding them with constant emails. If you have multiple questions, try to consolidate them into one email or schedule a meeting with your advisor to discuss them in person.

Overall, it is perfectly acceptable and even encouraged to email your future advisor before starting your Phd program. Just make sure to be professional, respectful, and concise in your communication. Best of luck in your program!

Related to Question about emailing future advisor.

1. What is the appropriate way to email a future advisor?

The appropriate way to email a future advisor is to introduce yourself, explain your interest in their research, and request a meeting to discuss your potential collaboration. It is important to be polite, professional, and concise in your email.

2. How should I address the future advisor in the email?

You should address the future advisor with their appropriate title and last name. For example, "Dear Dr. Smith" or "Dear Professor Johnson." It is important to use a formal and respectful tone in your email.

3. How much information should I include in the email?

You should include enough information to introduce yourself and explain your interest in their research, but not so much that it becomes overwhelming or difficult to read. Be concise and to the point, and save more detailed information for a potential in-person meeting.

4. Should I attach my resume or other documents to the email?

You can attach your resume or other relevant documents to the email, but make sure to keep them brief and relevant. Your email should serve as an introduction and request for a meeting, not a complete overview of your qualifications.

5. What should I do if I don't receive a response from the future advisor?

If you don't receive a response from the future advisor, you can follow up with a polite email after a reasonable amount of time has passed. If you still do not receive a response, it may be best to move on and reach out to other potential advisors.