Question about eigenvector and identity matrix

In summary, the matrix became an identity matrix when performing row operations for the second eigenvector.
Umayer

Homework Statement

I was doing this practice exam and I had to calculate the eigenvalues en vectors. The matrix had two eigenvalues, I calculated one eigenvector. But when I was performing row operations for the second eigenvector, the matrix with the second eigenvalue substitued became an identity matrix, which kinda blew my mind.

So my question is what does this mean? Does it mean that the matrix doesn't have any eigenvectors? And is it possible that it can become an identity matrix? Also I'm pretty sure that I didn't make a mistake, I put the matrix on my calculator and used the funcion "Rref" on it and the result was the identity matrix. Any help would be appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Every vector is an Eigenvector of the identity matrix. Perhaps I do not understand what your saying. . .

Umayer said:

Homework Statement

I was doing this practice exam and I had to calculate the eigenvalues en vectors. The matrix had two eigenvalues, I calculated one eigenvector. But when I was performing row operations for the second eigenvector, the matrix with the second eigenvalue substitued became an identity matrix, which kinda blew my mind.

So my question is what does this mean? Does it mean that the matrix doesn't have any eigenvectors? And is it possible that it can become an identity matrix? Also I'm pretty sure that I didn't make a mistake, I put the matrix on my calculator and used the funcion "Rref" on it and the result was the identity matrix. Any help would be appreciated!

Homework Equations

When you solve for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of some square matrix A, you are trying to find nonzero vectors x for which Ax = λx. That's the same as saying (A - λI)x = 0, for some nonzero vector x. This can happen only if det(A - λI) = 0. In your row reduction, you should have ended up with a matrix with one or more rows of zeros.

It would help if you showed us the matrix you started with, and what you ended with after row reduction.

Umayer said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Please show us the actual matrix.

Homework Statement

Actually I figured it out, I forgot to put a minus when calculating the determinant. But I'll write down the matrix. This is the matrix given: [tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & 2\\
4 & 0 & 2\\
-2 & 1 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

So when determining the eigenvalues the matrix will become: [tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1-λ & 1 & 2\\
4 & -λ & 2\\
-2 & 1 & 1-λ
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

This is how I calculated the determinant:

[itex]A11: (1-λ)([-λ(1-λ)]-2)=(1-λ)(λ^2-λ-2)[/itex]
[itex]A12: -1([4(1-λ)]-[2*-2])=-8+4λ[/itex] (This is where I forgot the minus in front of the 1.)
[itex]A13: 2([1*4]-[-2*-λ])=8-4λ[/itex]

A12 and A13 cancels each other out so:

[itex]detA = 0 → (1-λ)(λ^2-λ-2)=0[/itex]

So the eigenvalues are: [itex]λ=1[/itex], [itex]λ=2[/itex] , [itex]λ=-1[/itex]

I then had to calculate two eigenvectors, I chose 1 and 2 which are respectively:[tex]\frac{√6}{3}
\begin{pmatrix}
0,5\\
1\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{√35}
\begin{pmatrix}
-3\\
-5\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

I believe this is the correct answer.

So now my question is when I was calculating the determinant, I forgot the minus so my answers became this: [itex]λ=2[/itex], [itex]λ^2=9[/itex]

I inserted [itex]λ=3[/itex] into the eigenvalue matrix, it became this:[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
-2 & 1 & 2\\
4 & -3 & 2\\
-2 & 1 & -2
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Performing row operations the matrix will become:[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Can a situation like this ever occur? I hope this clears a little bit up.

Related to Question about eigenvector and identity matrix

1. What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by a specific square matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the direction of the eigenvector remains the same, but the magnitude changes.

2. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is the scalar multiple that results when an eigenvector is multiplied by a square matrix. It represents the amount by which the eigenvector is scaled.

3. How is an identity matrix related to eigenvectors?

An identity matrix is a special type of matrix where the main diagonal consists of 1s and all other elements are 0s. When an identity matrix is multiplied by an eigenvector, the resulting vector is the same as the original eigenvector, but scaled by its eigenvalue.

4. Why are eigenvectors and eigenvalues important in linear algebra?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of a linear transformation. They also have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. How are eigenvectors and eigenvalues calculated?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues can be calculated using various methods, such as the characteristic polynomial or eigendecomposition. Generally, the process involves finding the roots of a characteristic equation and then solving for the corresponding eigenvectors.