Question About Derivative Notation

In summary, the conversation revolves around the physical quantity Iν, which relates to the radiation field and is measured in units of energy per area, solid angle, time, and frequency. This quantity is also known as specific intensity and is often used by astronomers. The equation Iν = dE/dAdΩdtν describes the energy arriving at an observer's position due to an incident radiation field, and is a function of position, orientation, time, and frequency. The question of why partial derivative notation is not used is raised, but it is clarified that the equation is not a derivative, but rather a "fraction" of differentials.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In my radiative processes in astrophysics course I'd often see something like this:

[tex] I_\nu (\mathbf{r}, \mathbf{k}, t, \nu) = \frac{dE}{dAd\Omega dt d\nu} [/tex]

Where E is energy. So, whatever you want to call it, Iν is the physical quantity relating to the radiation field that is measured in units of:

W*m-2*Hz-1*sr-1

or, if you like:

ergs*s-1*cm-2*Hz-1*sr-1

or, if you like:

Jy*sr-1

Astronomers tend to use the name specific intensity for this quantity.

If I understand what is being said here correctly, we are saying that the energy, E, arriving at the position of an observer due to an incident radiation field is a function of his:

position (x,y) (i.e. where he is)

orientation (θ, φ) (i.e. the direction in which he looks)

time (t) (i.e. when he looks)

frequency band (ν) (i.e. the range of frequencies over which he observes).

If this is true, then here is my question: Aren't we saying that E (energy arriving) is a function of several variables, and that Iν is a mixed fourth-order partial derivative of this function? If so, why isn't the partial derivative notation used?

Although it may seem to you that my question is frivolous, I am asking because I want to know whether this is just sloppy notation, or whether I am missing something conceptual.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't that just like writing dq = (charge density)dxdydz? I don't see how this can be written in partial derivative notation like you suggest.

Aha! So I was making a conceptual mistake. But now that you've drawn that analogy, it makes perfect sense. What is being written is not a derivative of E, but a "fraction" of differentials. Okay, thanks.

Related to Question About Derivative Notation

What is the notation for a derivative?

The notation for a derivative is f'(x) or dy/dx, which represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable.

What does the prime symbol in derivative notation mean?

The prime symbol in derivative notation indicates the first derivative of a function, which represents the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the function's graph.

How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function is calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which involves finding the slope of a secant line as the distance between two points on the function approaches zero.

What does the notation f''(x) mean?

The notation f''(x) represents the second derivative of a function, which is the derivative of the first derivative. It represents the rate of change of the slope of the function's graph.

Why is derivative notation important in mathematics?

Derivative notation is important because it allows us to express and manipulate the concept of instantaneous rate of change, which is essential in calculus and other areas of mathematics such as physics and economics.