Question about curvilinear coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Cartesian coordinates and unit vectors in defining curvilinear coordinates. While some standard formulas use Cartesian coordinates for ease of calculation, it is possible to define curvilinear coordinates without any reference to Cartesian coordinates. The conversation also raises the question of whether it is possible to define curvilinear coordinates without introducing Cartesian coordinates at all, and how properties such as inner product, angles, and metric would be defined in that case. The conversation ends with the speaker admitting their confusion and questioning where their reasoning may be incorrect.
Lajka
Just a quick little question.

I was reading a wikipedia article about curvilinear coordinates, as well as some others, and a question popped into my head. Although we take this for granted (at least I do), now I have to ask this.

From what I've seen as an engineer, we always define curvilinear coordinates as some functions of Cartesian coordinates, and we always use Cartesian unit vectors to derive various properties of unit vectors in our new coordinate system. So, in a way, we are always depending on Cartesian coordinate system. It looks like we must define Cartesian coordinates and Cartesian unit vectors first in an affine space we were given, and only then can we start defining some other coordinate system (polar, cylindric, spherical) in there.

Now, I'm no physicist, so I don't know much about manifolds (but I would like to learn, tho), and it seems to me that Cartesian coordinate system cannot be a good choice for some arbitrary manifold, but it also seems to me like that's a mandatory starting point (the thing I explained above).

Is there any way to define curvilinear coordinates without introducing Cartesian coordinates whatsoever? And how do you define inner product, angles, metric etc. in that case?
I hope there's some easy answer for this.

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I really do not understand your question. The standard defintions of, say, polar coordinates, and spherical coordinates do not use Cartesian Coordinates. Of course, the formulas connecting them are typically given for ease in going form one to the other.

If we pick a point in the plane to be the "origin", and choose a direction to correspond to theta= 0, then we can define the polar coordinates of any point in the plane without any reference to Cartesian Coordinates. Given the two points (r1, theta1) and (r2,theta2), the lines connecting them to the origin, together with the line between them gives a triangle in which I know that two of the sides have lengths r1 and r2 and the angle between them is theta2- theta1. I can then use the "cosine law" to find the distance between the two points, the "metric". Angles can be defined geometrically and calculated with trigonometry. And, of course, the "inner product" of two vectors u and v is |u||v|cos(theta)- that is, the product of the lengths of the two vectors multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them. No Cartesian Coordinates need there.

Hm, okay, you have a point there. But riddle me http://planetmath.org/?method=l2h&from=collab&id=83&op=getobj".

What we have here is a derivation of unit vectors in curvilinear coordinates, pretty standard stuff I'd say. And this is the starting point, which is essential for the rest of the text:
ftvRr.png

As you can see, the use of Cartesian unit vectors is obligatory here, they must figure somehow in formulas for expressing curvilinear unit vectors. Personally, I've never seen any different derivations, other than the ones like these, for curvilinear unit vectors.
This makes me think that, if I don't have Cartesian unit vectors (therefore, Cartesian coordinate system), I cannot express curvilinear unit vectors (therefore, curvilinear coordinate system), which returns me to my point that Cartesian coordinate system is necessary as a starting point.

I also believe that I'm mistaken :D But alas, I also cannot find where exactly, in my reasoning, is the error.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Question about curvilinear coordinates

1. What are curvilinear coordinates?

Curvilinear coordinates are a system of coordinates used to describe points in a space that is curved, such as a sphere or a curved surface. They are defined by a set of orthogonal coordinate lines that follow the curvature of the space.

2. How are curvilinear coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are used to describe points in a flat, rectangular space, while curvilinear coordinates are used for points in a curved space. In Cartesian coordinates, the coordinate lines are straight and perpendicular to each other, while in curvilinear coordinates, the coordinate lines follow the curvature of the space.

3. What are some examples of curvilinear coordinate systems?

Some examples of curvilinear coordinate systems include polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates. These coordinate systems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe points in a curved space.

4. What are the advantages of using curvilinear coordinates?

One advantage of using curvilinear coordinates is that they can simplify mathematical calculations for problems involving curved spaces. They can also provide a more intuitive understanding of the geometry of a space, as the coordinate lines follow the curvature of the space.

5. How are curvilinear coordinates used in real-world applications?

Curvilinear coordinates are used in various real-world applications, such as navigation systems, satellite imaging, and computer graphics. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the motion and behavior of objects in curved spaces, such as planets orbiting around a sun.