Question about Binomial expansion.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of m, n, and p in order to solve a mathematical problem involving fractions and square roots. The speaker suggests choosing values where p is small compared to m and n, and where the result will be a fraction or integer. They also provide a hint to use the values m=100, n=400, and p=1 and to remember that \sqrt{0.25}=0.5. The other person expresses gratitude for the help and understanding of the problem.
Sanosuke Sagara
I have my question and my problem in the attachment that followed.

Attachments

• Doc6.doc
    18 KB · Views: 249
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sanosuke Sagara said:
I have my question and my problem in the attachment that followed.

Looks like you've already done the tough part. Hint: You want to choose m, n and p so that p is really small compared to m and n. Also, you want the result to be a fraction, so you want [tex]\sqrt {\frac{m}{n}}[/tex] to come out to a fraction or integer. See if you can choose m, n and p now.

You will say "doh!" :wink:

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{101}{401}} = \sqrt{\frac{100+1}{400+1}}[/itex]

Use your formula with m=100, n=400 and p=1 and the fact that [itex]\sqrt{0.25}=0.5[/itex]!

Thanks for your help.I think I now can understand what the question want.

Related to Question about Binomial expansion.

1. What is the binomial expansion?

The binomial expansion is a mathematical formula used to expand binomial expressions, which are expressions with two terms. It involves raising a binomial expression to a certain power and simplifying the resulting expression.

2. How do you find the coefficients in a binomial expansion?

The coefficients in a binomial expansion can be found using the binomial theorem, which states that the coefficient of the kth term in the expansion of (a + b)^n is given by n choose k, or n!/(k!(n-k)!), where n is the power and k is the term number starting from 0.

3. What is the purpose of the binomial expansion?

The binomial expansion is used to simplify and solve complex mathematical expressions involving binomials. It is also used in probability and statistics, as it can be used to calculate the probability of certain outcomes in a binomial distribution.

4. Can the binomial expansion be used for expressions with more than two terms?

No, the binomial expansion is specifically for expressions with two terms. However, there are other expansion formulas, such as the multinomial theorem, that can be used for expressions with more than two terms.

5. How is the binomial expansion used in real-world applications?

The binomial expansion has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, finance, and engineering. It is used to model and solve problems involving binomial phenomena, such as coin flips and stock market fluctuations. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.