Issue with Binomial Expansion Formula

In summary, there was a discussion about the binomial expansion in Leonard Susskind's book The Theoretical Minimum. The issue was with the notation of the final term and whether it was necessary to include it. It was clarified that the term is included to show where the expansion ends and it is more convenient to write it as b^n instead of using the binomial coefficient.
Reingley
Working through Leonard Susskind's book The Theoretical Minimum, I noticed an issue with his expansion for the Binomial Expansion (he was missing factorials in the denominators). This led me to some confusion about the final term that is generally written (bn).

(a+b)n = an + nan-1b + n(n-1)/2! an-2b2 + ... + bn

My issue with this is that if one were to solve for n = 2, the b2 term comes out from the 3rd term (2! term) and there is no need to add the bn=2 term at the end.

Is my problem that if I am using n = 2, I shouldn't even bother to include the 3rd term (and all higher order terms that incidentally go to zero anyways)? It seems to me that the bn term is simply unnecessary at the end.

Thanks for any input!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For ##n=2## the third term and ##b^2## are identical. So the notion of ##b^n## is there to show where the expansion ends.
Of course you are free to write it as ##\binom{n}{n}a^{n-n}b^n## instead, but ##b^n## is more convenient.

In its closed version ##(a+b)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k}a^{n-k}b^k## the last term is written the way you want it to be.

Thanks! That makes sense. I figured it was confusion on my part with the notation, but I wanted to check that I hadn't overlooked something obvious.

Related to Issue with Binomial Expansion Formula

1. What is the Binomial Expansion Formula?

The Binomial Expansion Formula is a mathematical equation used to expand a binomial expression raised to a certain power. It is used to find the coefficients of each term in the expanded expression.

2. What is the issue with the Binomial Expansion Formula?

The main issue with the Binomial Expansion Formula is that it can only be used for binomial expressions, which have exactly two terms. It cannot be used for polynomials with more than two terms.

3. How do you solve an issue with the Binomial Expansion Formula?

To solve an issue with the Binomial Expansion Formula, one can use other methods such as the Pascal's Triangle or the Binomial Theorem, which can expand polynomials with any number of terms.

4. Can the Binomial Expansion Formula be used for negative or fractional exponents?

No, the Binomial Expansion Formula can only be used for whole number exponents. Negative or fractional exponents would require the use of more advanced mathematical techniques.

5. How is the Binomial Expansion Formula used in real life?

The Binomial Expansion Formula has many practical applications in fields such as statistics, probability, and engineering. It is used to solve various problems involving combinations and permutations, and to approximate values in data analysis and modeling.