Question About AP Physics B Scoring

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding a problem from the 2006 Form B AP Physics B test. The person answering the question used the coefficient of restitution as a solution, but was unsure how it would be scored. The scoring guidelines were provided and it was determined that the answer would most likely receive full credit. The conversation also touches on the use of the coefficient of restitution in solving problems involving momentum.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

I was doing d and had a question because I believe my response is perfectly acceptable but yet it does not reflect the scoring guidelines at all. By the way I believe this is free response #2 on the 2006 Form B AP Physics B test

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2172/problemf.jpg

Homework Equations

I answered using the coefficient of restitution. I use it all the time when I'm asked for the type of collision
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/995/coefficentofrestitution.jpg
click on link and zoom in once to read what the coefficient of resitution is if you do not know what it is

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my response
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4104/myresponse.jpg

Here's the scoring guidelines
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5879/scoringm.jpg

so my question is how would my response be scored? My response is not wrong at all it is as AP would put it "Alternate Solution" as I often see on scoring guidelines. I do not if AP likes people using e when responding to problems of momentum but it's a perfect valid solution...

so what do you think? how would my response be scored?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd guess you would get full credit, but when I took AP physics C, my teacher never went over that mumbojumbo e. I'd use the more natural and understandable explanation involving kinetic energy.

Part of your answer does not make sense. What does "the bodies did not stick together" have to do with anything? If the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, that means the collision is inelastic. That's it. No ifs, ands, or buts.

ohhhh really thanks i didn't know that

Related to Question About AP Physics B Scoring

1. What is the scoring system for AP Physics B?

The scoring system for AP Physics B is based on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest score. Students must earn a minimum of 3 out of 5 to pass the exam and potentially earn college credit.

2. How is the AP Physics B exam structured?

The AP Physics B exam consists of two parts: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section is worth 50% of the total score, while the free-response section is worth the other 50%.

3. What topics are covered on the AP Physics B exam?

The AP Physics B exam covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and optics. It also incorporates concepts from algebra and trigonometry.

4. How are the free-response questions graded on the AP Physics B exam?

The free-response questions on the AP Physics B exam are graded on a 0-9 scale, with 9 being the highest score. Each question is evaluated based on the accuracy, reasoning, and presentation of the response.

5. Is there any penalty for guessing on the AP Physics B exam?

No, there is no penalty for guessing on the AP Physics B exam. Students are encouraged to answer every question, even if they are unsure of the answer.