Question about absorbance (beer's law)

In summary, the conversation discusses determining phosphate in a sample using molybdate and the resulting complex formed. The concentration of the sample is equal to the concentration of phosphate due to stoichiometry. The absorbance of the complex is proportional to the concentration of phosphate, making optical measurement possible.
Rujano

Homework Statement

Hi. I know this will sound silly, but I really don't get it.Let's say that I want to determine phosphate in a given sample by using molybdate.

After plotting the calibration curve using the absorbance and concentration of the phophate standard, I calculate the concentration of phosphate in the sample like this :

Csample = Asample - intercept/slope

But... why does the concentration of the sample is equal to the concentration of phosphate?

I know that when molybdate is added to phosphate a complex is formed... so, why does this happen?

In fact I found this: Phosphate will readily react with ammonium molybdate in the presence of suitable reducing agents to form a blue coloured complex, the intensity of which is directly proportional to the concentration of phosphate in the solution... Why is it proportional to the concentration of phosphate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the reaction stoichiometry. Conditions are selected in such a way phosphate is a limiting reagent and equilibrium is shifted far to the right.

Hi. Thank you for your reply. What would be the stoichometric reaction, though? (I mean, why is to proportional to the concentration oF Phosphate instead of the whole complex?)

Last edited:
Google for the phosphate molybdate determination. I am not sure about the exact product - some kind of phosphomolybdate, I don't have time to check the details at the moment.

Thanks again. When I google that I get a bunch of labs reports that show experimental data about it. However, my question is why do I only have to take into account the phosphate instead of the whole complex that is formed? Take a look at this please:

The monitoring of phosphate involves the addition of a chemical
reagent solution to the sample under constant temperature
conditions. The result is a chemical complex, in solution, which
has a predetermined color. The absorbance of this colored
complex is proportional to the concentration of the phosphate in
the original sample (WHY?), thus making it possible for the measurement
to be made optically.

Last edited:
I already told you it is a matter of stoichiometry. Amount of phosphomolybdate created is directly proportional to the amount of phosphate present, just like amount of water produced is directly proportional to the amount of hydrogen reacting with oxygen.

Borek said:
I already told you it is a matter of stoichiometry. Amount of phosphomolybdate created is directly proportional to the amount of phosphate present, just like amount of water produced is directly proportional to the amount of hydrogen reacting with oxygen.

Thanks! I got it now

Related to Question about absorbance (beer's law)

What is absorbance and how is it related to Beer's Law?

Absorbance is a measure of how much light is absorbed by a solution. It is directly proportional to the concentration of the absorbing species in the solution, as stated in Beer's Law: A = εlc, where A is absorbance, ε is the molar absorptivity coefficient, l is the path length of the light through the solution, and c is the concentration of the absorbing species.

How is absorbance measured in a solution?

Absorbance is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which passes a beam of light through the solution and measures the amount of light that is absorbed. The result is a numerical value for absorbance, which can then be used to calculate the concentration of the absorbing species using Beer's Law.

What are the limitations of Beer's Law?

Beer's Law assumes that the solution is dilute and that the absorbing species does not interact with other molecules in the solution. It also assumes that the path length of the light through the solution is constant. If these assumptions are not met, the calculated concentration may not accurately reflect the true concentration in the solution.

How can Beer's Law be used in practical applications?

Beer's Law is commonly used in chemistry and biochemistry to determine the concentration of a specific species in a solution. This can be helpful in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental monitoring, and food analysis. It can also be used in research to study the kinetics of chemical reactions and to determine the purity of a substance.

What factors can affect absorbance measurements?

The accuracy of absorbance measurements can be affected by factors such as the type of light source used, the quality of the cuvette or container holding the solution, and the presence of impurities in the solution. Additionally, changes in temperature or pH can also impact absorbance measurements.