Question about a conducting sphere in a varying magnetic field

In summary, a spherical conducting shell placed in a time-varying magnetic field will produce eddy currents along the equator due to the changing magnetic field. However, the presence of magnetic shielding implies that the currents within the shell will produce a magnetic field to oppose the change in the external magnetic field. Therefore, there will not be an induced current along the equator.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

3. A spherical conducting shell is placed in a time-varying magnetic field. Is there an induced current along the equator?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what is the right answer. I mean...why not? Is the magnetic field is changing, there should be eddy current around the equation.. I don't see why won't there be an induced current along the equator..

Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:

Homework Statement

3. A spherical conducting shell is placed in a time-varying magnetic field. Is there an induced current along the equator?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what is the right answer. I mean...why not? Is the magnetic field is changing, there should be eddy current around the equation.. I don't see why won't there be an induced current along the equator..
I believe you are on the right track, but you might be able to offer a better explanation.

I suggest doing a slight bit of research on magnetic shielding (or electromagnetic shielding). Given that this sort of shielding exists, what does that imply about the currents within a conducting shell in the presence of a changing, external magnetic field?

Likes Clara Chung and Charles Link
collinsmark said:
I believe you are on the right track, but you might be able to offer a better explanation.

I suggest doing a slight bit of research on magnetic shielding (or electromagnetic shielding). Given that this sort of shielding exists, what does that imply about the currents within a conducting shell in the presence of a changing, external magnetic field?
The currents will produce a magnetic field to oppose the change in magnetic field?

Clara Chung said:
The currents will produce a magnetic field to oppose the change in magnetic field?
Yes, that pretty much sums it up in my opinion. :smile:

Likes Clara Chung

Related to Question about a conducting sphere in a varying magnetic field

1. What is a conducting sphere?

A conducting sphere is a spherical object made of a material that allows electric charges to move freely, such as metal.

2. How does a conducting sphere behave in a varying magnetic field?

A conducting sphere placed in a varying magnetic field will experience a changing magnetic flux, which will induce an electric field. As a result, charges within the sphere will move and create an induced current.

3. What is the significance of the magnetic field being varying?

The varying magnetic field is important because it is what causes the induction of an electric field and current in the conducting sphere. A constant magnetic field would not cause any changes in the sphere.

4. How does the behavior of a conducting sphere in a varying magnetic field differ from a non-conducting sphere?

A non-conducting sphere does not allow charges to move freely, so it will not experience an induced current in a varying magnetic field. It may experience a slight force due to the changing magnetic flux, but it will not exhibit the same behavior as a conducting sphere.

5. What applications does the behavior of a conducting sphere in a varying magnetic field have?

The behavior of a conducting sphere in a varying magnetic field is important in various applications such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in experiments to study electromagnetic induction and its effects on conductive materials.