Calculate the radius of this rotating wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the radius of a rotating wheel based on the linear speeds of two points on the wheel. The correct answer is 8.33cm. The individual attempted to solve the problem using an equation system and Cramer's rule, but made a mistake in their calculations. The correct solution is a=8.33 and b=3.33.
MisterP

Homework Statement

Calculate radius of rotating wheel. Linear speed of point "a" (red dot) is 2.5 times faster than linear speed of point "b"(blue dot) that is 5cm closer to center of wheel. Right answer is 8.33cm. I drew a sketch without linear line.
rotating-wheel.sized.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I tried to make this equation system consisting 2 equations..
a - b = 5
a - 2.5b = 0

I used Cramer`s rule to solve this.
wheelrotationab.sized.jpg

Attachments

• rotating-wheel.sized.jpg
    rotating-wheel.sized.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 768
  • wheelrotationab.sized.jpg
    wheelrotationab.sized.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
As for the rotating wheel angular speed is constant at all points, use 2.5v/r=v/(r-5).Answer obtained is 8.333334

But the way I calculated is not right?

How did you get the second equation??

Dunno, just felt like that :D

You have done something wrong , the solution you calculated ##a=5,b=3.33## does not satisfy the first equation which is ##a-b=5##. It doesn't satisfy the second equation too which is ##a-2.5b=0##. Check again your work for calculating a, it should be ##a=8.333## the value for b seems correct to me.

So, what is the best solution? I cannot get through..

The solution is ##a=8.33,b=3.33##. You have made a mistake in calculating ##\nabla_a##,this determinant is equal to 12.5 and not 7.5

Likes MisterP
Yes :) Thank You

MisterP said:
So, what is the best solution? I cannot get through..
Your question should not be "what is the best solution?" Your question should be "what is the correct way to analyze this problem?"

Related to Calculate the radius of this rotating wheel

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of a rotating wheel?

The formula for calculating the radius of a rotating wheel is R = v/ω, where R is the radius, v is the linear velocity, and ω is the angular velocity.

2. How do you determine the linear velocity of a rotating wheel?

The linear velocity of a rotating wheel can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for linear velocity is v = d/t, where v is the linear velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the radius of a rotating wheel?

The unit of measurement for the radius of a rotating wheel is typically in meters (m) or centimeters (cm), depending on the size of the wheel.

4. How does the radius of a rotating wheel affect its speed?

The radius of a rotating wheel directly affects its speed. A larger radius will result in a higher linear velocity, while a smaller radius will result in a lower linear velocity.

5. Can the radius of a rotating wheel change?

Yes, the radius of a rotating wheel can change if the wheel is altered in any way, such as being inflated or deflated, or if it experiences wear and tear over time. Additionally, the radius can also change if the wheel is rotating at different speeds.