Quartic with two stationary points of inflection

• Thread starter hmvince
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: Thanks for the correction. I guess that explains why it wasn't working out. In summary, the question is asking for a quartic equation with two inflection points and a y-intercept of 24. However, the provided information is not enough to solve for the equation as there are multiple unknowns. It is possible to have a quartic with two inflection points, but the provided information does not specify the exact form of the equation.
hmvince
Hey everyone!
Recently got a question in maths which asks:
"Use integral calculus to find the equation of the quartic that has stationary points of inflection at (1, 23) and (3, 15) and a y-intercept of 24"
This means that the second derivative has the form (as inflection points are x-intercepts in the second derivative):
f''(x) = k(x-1)(x-3)
I integrate this and get an answer for f'(x), all fine and dandy. But then I say, since there are two stationary points, f'(1) = 0, and f'(3) = 0, and it all breaks down!

Is it even possible to have a quartic with TWO stationary points of inflection, or am I just screwing something up (haha)?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmvince said:
Hey everyone!
Recently got a question in maths which asks:
"Use integral calculus to find the equation of the quartic that has stationary points of inflection at (1, 23) and (3, 15) and a y-intercept of 24"
This means that the second derivative has the form (as inflection points are x-intercepts in the second derivative):
f''(x) = k(x-1)(x-3)
I integrate this and get an answer for f'(x), all fine and dandy. But then I say, since there are two stationary points, f'(1) = 0, and f'(3) = 0, and it all breaks down!

Is it even possible to have a quartic with TWO stationary points of inflection, or am I just screwing something up (haha)?

Cheers.

This should be in the homework section.

And sorry, but what is a stationary point of inflection? There are inflection points (f '' = 0), there are stationary points (f ' = 0), but a stationary point of inflection?

Anyway, I'll assume you mean just an inflection point. Of course quartics can have two stationary points, because clearly if you take the second derivative of a general quartic [itex]f(x)=ax^4+bx^3+cx^2+dx+e[/itex] you'll end up with a quadratic, which can have anywhere from 0 to 2 roots based on its discriminant.

Thankyou, and sorry, I should have explained. a stationary point of inflection is a point of inflection at which the rate of change is zero. Like this: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/eps-gif/InflectionPoint_700.gif

I've been sitting here trying to sketch a quartic with two of these points (of course a quartic with two points of inflection is possible :smile:) and the only thing I can come up with is one which looks like a quadratic, but really fat. Like this: http://www.math.brown.edu/UTRA/polynomials/quartic.gif
where the central max/min forms a line with the other two, but I still cannot get the math to work.
[itex]f'(x) = \int k(x-1)(x-3) = k(\frac{x^{3}}{3} - 2x^{3} + 3x) + c[/itex]
Then, f'(3) = 0 which results in:
[itex]k(9-54+9) + c = 0[/itex]
[itex]∴ c = 54k[/itex]
and f'(1) = 0
results in c = (4/3)k

How can c = both things, i don't understand! If k = 0, then I have nothing to integrate to get f(x)

Have I done something, or they have the question wrong?

Last edited:
But then I say, since there are two stationary points, f'(1) = 0, and f'(3) = 0, and it all breaks down!

Show your working. Why would it break down?

Edit: argh cross post.

Why aren't you starting with a "generic" quartic as Mentallic post above, and differentiate twice, and solve for a and b?

Last edited:
Mentallic said:
There are inflection points (f '' = 0)

Err, no. An inflection point means that the second derivative changes sign. It's not enough that the second derivative vanish there.

Either way I do it, if I work back from the general form, I have unknowns on both sides, the k in front of one lot, and the a, b, and c in front of the second derivative of the general form.
Please help me

Solving for A, b, and c I get:
k = 12a
k = -1.5b
k = (2/3)c

hmvince said:
Either way I do it, if I work back from the general form, I have unknowns on both sides, the k in front of one lot, and the a, b, and c in front of the second derivative of the general form.
Please help me

Solving for A, b, and c I get:
k = 12a
k = -1.5b
k = (2/3)c

What's k?
You really need to show your working. We aren't mind readers.

[itex]f''(x) = k(x-1)(x-3) = kx^{2} - 4kx + 3k[/itex]
and
[itex]f''(x) = 12ax^{2} + 6bx + 2c[/itex] (differentiating from general formula)

[itex]∴12a = k[/itex]
[itex]∴6b = 4k[/itex]
[itex]∴2c = 3k[/itex]

Okay so substitute back into ##f(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2+dx+e## and go from there.

pwsnafu said:
Err, no. An inflection point means that the second derivative changes sign. It's not enough that the second derivative vanish there.

Ahh so it is. It's such a warm feeling knowing that I've had that wrong all these years.

Related to Quartic with two stationary points of inflection

1. What is a quartic function with two stationary points of inflection?

A quartic function is a type of polynomial function with a degree of four. It is also known as a fourth-degree function. Two stationary points of inflection refer to points on the graph where the concavity changes from concave up to concave down or vice versa, and the derivative is equal to zero.

2. How can you determine the number of stationary points of inflection in a quartic function?

The number of stationary points of inflection in a quartic function can be determined by finding the inflection points of the function. This can be done by finding the second derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. The number of distinct roots of this equation will give the number of inflection points.

3. What is the significance of having two stationary points of inflection in a quartic function?

Having two stationary points of inflection in a quartic function can indicate a change in concavity twice on the graph of the function. This can help in analyzing the behavior of the function and understanding the shape of the graph.

4. Can a quartic function have more than two stationary points of inflection?

Yes, a quartic function can have more than two stationary points of inflection. The maximum number of stationary points of inflection that a quartic function can have is four, which is equal to its degree.

5. How can the behavior of a quartic function with two stationary points of inflection be described?

The behavior of a quartic function with two stationary points of inflection can be described as having two changes in concavity. It can also have a local minimum or maximum at the points of inflection, depending on the values of the function at those points.