Quark Degeneracy? String Degeneracy? (and the effect on Black Holes)

In summary, there are theories that suggest there are smaller degenerate states than the state reached in a neutron star, but it's not clear if this would affect the classical definition of a black hole. Additionally, it's possible that these theories could lead to the creation of wormholes and portals to other dimensions.
mjacobsca
Are there any theories that suggest that there are smaller degenerate states than the state reached in a neutron star? For example, is there a degenerate state for quarks? For strings? (should they exist)

For theories that suggest such possibilities, do they discuss what would happen to the classical definition of a black hole? I imagine we would still have a black hole, but the center of the black hole isn't a singularity, but rather an extremely dense, degenerate core made of quarks or strings that prevents the full collapse to infinity, yet still also prevents the escape of photons outside the event horizon.

And if such a degenerate state exists, does it end all discussion on wormholes and portals to other dimensions via black holes? I've seen endless models of black holes pinching off baby universes. I don't know if I believe in these theories (although I have no reason not to), but it seems to me that these models could not exist if a black hole doesn't end in a singularity.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Black holes are predicted to rotate which means the degenerate matter collapses to a ring. I have seen some diagrams that imply the ring is actually made up of degenerate neutrons and it's the centrifuge that stops the matter from collapsing any further. Whether the matter collapses to a singularity, Planck density, quark or neutron degenerate matter, the edge of the ring is still r=0 and the interior of the ring is predicted to be r<0 which would imply the throat of a worm hole.

On the subject of degenerate states, quark stars have been predicted and there are a few candidates with mass equal to a neutron star but with half the radius. There is also a hypothetical preon which is predicted to be much smaller than a quark. This paper looks at a hypothetical preon star-

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0410417

mjacobsca said:
Are there any theories that suggest that there are smaller degenerate states than the state reached in a neutron star? For example, is there a degenerate state for quarks? For strings? (should they exist)

Time dilation probably prevents a singularity - and there seems also to be a problem with the potential energy realized when matter collapses to a point. If you take a black hole of one solar mass (swartzchild radius 3Km), the gravity is about 1.5 trillion times that of Earth at the event horizon. Thus falling by 1 meter yeilds 15 terajoules per Kg which is 1/6000 of the mass energy equivelence. This is fine but further in the gravity is higher by the inverse square law and quickly reaches the point where each meter of fall realizes energy far greater than the mass energy equivelance. To get to zero meters an infinite amount of potential energy has been realized which strikes me as odd. And most probably it is even worse because the matter would be traveling so close to the speed of light that it would be trillions of times its rest mass which would presumably execerbate the effect. This is where time dilation comes in. Matter spiralling in would never actually reach the center. (come back Zeno - all is forgiven)

Related to Quark Degeneracy? String Degeneracy? (and the effect on Black Holes)

What is quark degeneracy?

Quark degeneracy is a concept in physics that describes the state of matter at extremely high densities, such as those found in the cores of neutron stars. In this state, the quarks are so tightly packed together that they can no longer be considered as individual particles, but rather form a degenerate gas.

How does quark degeneracy affect black holes?

Quark degeneracy plays a crucial role in the formation and behavior of black holes. As matter collapses under its own gravity, it becomes denser and denser until it reaches a point where quark degeneracy sets in. This prevents the matter from collapsing any further, leading to the formation of a black hole.

What is string degeneracy?

String degeneracy is a theoretical concept in string theory, which is a candidate for a theory of quantum gravity. It describes a state of matter in which the fundamental building blocks of the universe are vibrating strings, and these strings are so tightly packed that they cannot be distinguished from one another.

How does string degeneracy relate to black holes?

String degeneracy is thought to play a role in the behavior of black holes, particularly in the context of the holographic principle. According to this principle, the information about a black hole is encoded on its surface, and string degeneracy is one of the mechanisms proposed to explain this phenomenon.

Is there a connection between quark degeneracy and string degeneracy?

While both concepts describe states of matter at extreme densities, quark degeneracy and string degeneracy are not directly connected. Quark degeneracy is based on the properties of quarks, while string degeneracy is a concept within string theory. However, both are important in understanding the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in black holes.