Quantum Theory for an Armchair Physicist?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good book on quantum theory for a layperson. The recommendation is Amir Aczel's book or learning about Bell's Theorem, which can be understood through a simple math page or a talk by Sidney Coleman. The importance of understanding Bell's Theorem is emphasized as it helps in understanding the richer meaning of Relativity and Quantum Theory.
EskWIRED
Hi.

I'm looking for a good "popular press" treatment of quantum theory for a bright and interested layman. Specifically, something that will explain to me Bell's Inequality in a manner that I can grok, with an emphasis on concepts and (if at all possible) a minimum of mathematics.

Can anybody suggest a book or three to get me going?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure how deep you want to go, but I can recommend Amir Aczel's book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0452284570/?tag=pfamazon01-20

On the other hand, I would definitely say you are cheating yourself by skipping the math. It's not that hard, and it really is necessary to properly understand why the EPR paradox is resolved against EPR's viewpoint.

Bell's Theorem with Easy Math

This is a page I put up for exactly this purpose. The upshot is that if you assume there are local hidden variables, you cannot get certain combinations of those to match observation. Specifically, at 0, 120 and 240 degrees there are no sets of hidden variables which yield the matches predicted by Quantum Mechanics of 25%. You can try all you like, the best you can do is an average of 33%. Ergo, the assumption of local hidden variables is wrong.

-DrC

Last edited by a moderator:
DrChinese said:
Not sure how deep you want to go, but I can recommend Amir Aczel's book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0452284570/?tag=pfamazon01-20

On the other hand, I would definitely say you are cheating yourself by skipping the math. It's not that hard, and it really is necessary to properly understand why the EPR paradox is resolved against EPR's viewpoint.

Bell's Theorem with Easy Math

This is a page I put up for exactly this purpose. The upshot is that if you assume there are local hidden variables, you cannot get certain combinations of those to match observation. Specifically, at 0, 120 and 240 degrees there are no sets of hidden variables which yield the matches predicted by Quantum Mechanics of 25%. You can try all you like, the best you can do is an average of 33%. Ergo, the assumption of local hidden variables is wrong.

-DrC

Thanks for the pointers and for the advice. I'll check it out.Edit: I'm struck by the following sentence near the beginning of your article: "If you want to understand the richer meaning of Relativity and Quantum Theory, you will also want to learn about Bell."

That is precisely what I want to do, and I'm happy that I stumbled upon the realization that learning more about Bell was a good path to follow. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Bell's Theorem, check out this video of a talk by Sidney Coleman:

http://media.physics.harvard.edu/video/?id=SidneyColeman_QMIYF

The middle part of the talk is on the Greenberger-Horne-Zeilinger-Mermin (GHZM) experiment, which is much easier to grasp than the original Bell's Theorem.

Last edited:

I highly recommend reading "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. This book explores the fascinating world of quantum theory, including Bell's Inequality, in a way that is accessible to a layman. Greene does an excellent job of explaining complex concepts and theories in a clear and engaging manner, without relying heavily on mathematics. He also provides historical context and real-world examples to help readers understand the significance of quantum theory. I believe this book would be a great starting point for anyone interested in learning more about quantum theory and its implications. Other recommended books include "Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed" by Jim Al-Khalili and "The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

Related to Quantum Theory for an Armchair Physicist?

1. What is Quantum Theory all about?

Quantum Theory is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles interact with each other and with energy, and how they can exist in multiple states at the same time.

2. How is Quantum Theory relevant to everyday life?

Quantum Theory has many practical applications in technology, including transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a role in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. Additionally, our understanding of quantum mechanics has led to advancements in medical imaging and cryptography.

3. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is due to the fact that the act of measuring one of these properties affects the other, making it impossible to determine both accurately at the same time.

4. Can you explain the concept of superposition?

Superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that describes how particles can exist in multiple states at the same time. This means that a particle can be in two or more places or states simultaneously until it is observed or measured.

5. How does Quantum Theory challenge our understanding of reality?

Quantum Theory challenges our traditional views of reality by showing that at a microscopic level, particles behave in ways that are counterintuitive to our everyday experiences. For example, particles can be in two places at once or can influence each other's behavior at a distance. This challenges the notion of a solid, predictable world and raises philosophical questions about the nature of reality.