Quantum Teleportation for Fiction: Exploring Possibilities

• Thread starter Quentin Nokov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the two former participants of a teleportation program teleportation themselves to this evening's talk.
Quentin Nokov
Before I start I just wanted to point out that I have pretty much no background in physics even quantum. Why I'm here is I'm writing a novel and instead of relying on 'magic' I'd like to have scientific explanations. Characters of mine can teleport and I was always fascinated with the quantum aspect of it. My question is could this be explained through quantum mechanics or would there be flaws? It's fiction so I suppose there would be room for theories. (I'm dumb so speak in small words :biggrin:).

Second, this probably belongs in some astrophysics board, but would there be any flaw in using black-holes as a prison for my evil spirits? That's were I plan on keeping them by time the story is over so them escaping isn't even an idea. Could quantum teleportation explain how they're put there though?

Your input is appreciated and please be gentle, I'm not smart like you guys.

ETA: My novel has Christian elements, as I view through other threads I noted 'controversial' theorems that Quantum Mechanics may prove the existence of a God.

Also to note, the characters teleport without machines; they just *poof* and that's it. It's more fantasy than science-fiction, really but I still like scientific explanations rather than blaming everything on magic.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Many have preceded you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleportation_in_fiction

And the 'technology":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

The fictional idea seems to be moving objects from one location to another faster than light [ftl]...like starship enterprise does. Another version might copy particles at one location at a distant location via entanglement ...anything like either of these is WAAAY beyond any terrestrial [human] technology. Speculation and sci fi exists that 'UFO's pop in and out of existence via such methods...or maybe that they have 'cloaking' technology which serves to hide them in place. Another possible, but unlikely, technology, would be to use wormholes to circumvent vast distances...Oh and warpspeed seems a version of ftl
transport...take your pick...

This might not help out but I wanted to know about this book of yours. It seems quite interesting from what you have said about it.

Would it be possible to use the uncertainty principle at all? Remember, I'm no scholar. I've read some articles on the net so I don't know how these things work, but could my characters like. . .collapse into wave form and travel as a wave to the next location and then reappear as a particle? Or would that not work because human bodies aren't made of photons? Like I said, I'm an idiot. I don't know stuff, it's why I need your help!

@Beaniebot: The premise of the story is about a girl who will eventually destroy the 'Satan' of the universe and he'll be imprisoned in a black-hole where he can rule his own little universe by himself. She has to learn illusion first, though. All Illusionist can teleport, however I don't know how to explain teleporting. I figured I'd explain their visual tricks by their ability to control photons--I think that would be a simple but clear way of explaining, right?

Teleportation? Necessarily, I guess, if you want to choose where to have the object next. Otherwise isn't there a finite chance the object ends up there upon 'measurement'?

To put it in simple words:

No, quantum mechanics can't really provide you with an explanation here, because whenever we talk about teleportation in QM we talk about teleportation of information, not of matter.Some background to my statement: The reason teleportation of information is important in QM is because quantum information is inherently different than classical information, in the way that there exists states that cannot by copied (see no-cloning theorem). If you possesses such a state of information, then in order to move that information to another place you have to perform something like a teleportation, which destroys the information on the original place and recreates it at the new place, such that the no-cloning theorem is not violated.
EDIT: even though it's also a bit far fetched, your best best to explain what you want is probably to invoke bending of the space-time. This is probably the most popular way of explaining faster-than-light travel in sci-fi in general, see for example worm-hole travel of the warp engines of star trek. This may also fit your theme of "illusionist" as light could be bent by the same mechanic (curved space-time).

Last edited:
In regards to your question on teleportation I have this information to offer.
This is part of an article I found on this site, the whole article is rather long so I am only copying the first 3 paragraphs here. feel free to follow the link if you find it interesting.
Also lectures are being given on this subject in Vancouver by the same author of this article.

link to article http://exopolitics.blogs.com/exopol...-confirm-barack-obama-traveled-to-mars-1.html

link to lectures http://exouniversity.org

By Alfred Lambremont Webre, JD, MEd

Two former participants in the CIA’s Mars visitation program of the early 1980’s have confirmed that U.S. President Barack H. Obama was enrolled in their Mars training class in 1980 and was among the young Americans from the program who they later encountered on the Martian surface after reaching Mars via “jump room.”

Andrew D. Basiago, 50, a lawyer in Washington State who served in DARPA’s time travel program Project Pegasus in the 1970’s, and fellow chrononaut William B. Stillings, 44, who was tapped by the Mars program for his technical genius, have publicly confirmed that Obama was enrolled in their Mars training class in 1980 and that each later encountered Obama during visits to rudimentary U.S. facilities on Mars that took place from 1981 to 1983.

Their astonishing revelations provide a new dimension to the controversy surrounding President Obama’s background and pose the possibility that it is an elaborate ruse to conceal Obama’s participation as a young man in the U.S. secret space program.

I hope this is of interest to you.
chris

Mathematically, couldn't I just change the probability of the manifolds of space to correlate so say, 1000000 light years from a certain spot so that when I entered one part of that localized space that space's probability would exist 1000000 light years away and thus "teleport" me faster than light could travel without breaking any of the rules of physics?

What is quantum teleportation?

Quantum teleportation is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics that involves transferring information or properties of one particle to another instantaneously, without any physical connection between the two particles. It is based on the principle of quantum entanglement, where two particles become intrinsically linked and share a connection that transcends the limitations of space and time.

Is quantum teleportation possible?

While quantum teleportation has been successfully demonstrated in laboratory settings, the process is still in its early stages and is not yet feasible for practical use. The current methods require highly specialized equipment and controlled environments, making it difficult to scale up for larger objects or longer distances. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may one day make quantum teleportation a reality.

What are the potential uses of quantum teleportation in fiction?

Quantum teleportation has been a popular topic in science fiction, with many authors exploring its potential uses in their stories. Some common themes include instant transportation over long distances, time travel, and communication across vast distances. Other possibilities include the creation of quantum networks for secure communication, or the ability to transfer consciousness or memories between individuals.

Are there any ethical considerations with the use of quantum teleportation in fiction?

As with any new technology, there may be ethical considerations to consider when exploring the possibilities of quantum teleportation in fiction. Some potential concerns include the potential for misuse of the technology, the impact on personal identity and privacy, and the implications for societal structures and norms. These themes can be thought-provoking and add depth to fictional narratives that incorporate quantum teleportation.

What are the limitations of quantum teleportation in fiction?

While quantum teleportation may seem like a limitless technology in fiction, it is important to consider its potential limitations. As mentioned before, the current methods are not yet practical for everyday use, and there may be unforeseen consequences or challenges that arise with its implementation. Additionally, the laws of physics and the principles of quantum mechanics may still impose certain limitations on the possibilities of quantum teleportation, even in a fictional setting.