Quantum states as normal vectors

In summary: Consider the following scenario. There are two particles, each of which can be in one of two states, A and B. The states are represented by vectors in an abstract vector space.The reason states are positive operators of unit trace is because they are the projections of the wave functions of the particles onto the positive real line. The wave functions are complex vectors and so the projections are complex vectors too. But since the projection operators are positive definite, they must be positive operators of unit trace. This is an important fact because it means that the expectation value of any observable (or any function that depends on the state of the particles) is always the same as the probability of finding the particles in that state.
jimmycricket
Are all quantum states represented by normal vectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every quantum state is represented by a vector in an abstract vector space.

What exactly do you mean by "normal"?

Nugatory is correct about the usual states talked about in QM - they are called pure.

But in more advanced work states are in fact positive operators of unit trace. Pure states are those of the form |u><u|. Mixed states are convex sums of pure states ie of the form ∑pi |bi><bi| where pi are positive numbers that sum to 1. It can be shown all states are mixed or pure.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Nugatory said:
Every quantum state is represented by a vector in an abstract vector space.

What exactly do you mean by "normal"?
Major slip of the brain there, I should have read my post properly. What I meant to ask is: Are all quantum states represented by unit vectors in some complex vector space?

They are represented by vectors, not necessarily unit vectors. If I were to be picky about it, I would say that they are represented by rays, where a ray is a set of all vectors that are a complex constant multiple of one another (same "direction", different magnitudes).

Of course if I'm going to calculate the probability of an outcome of an observation I'll want to normalize the vector to be a unit vector... so the answer to the question that I think you meant to ask is "yes". :smile:

Likes jimmycricket
No, pure states are never represented by unit vectors but by unit rays (i.e. by unit vectors modulo an arbitrary phase factor) or, equivalently, by projection operators
$$R_{\psi}=|\psi \rangle \langle \psi|$$
where ##|\psi \rangle## is a normalized Hilbert-space vector.

A general state is represented a positive semidefinite trace-class operator, the statistical operator (see also posting #3).

Likes jimmycricket
vanhees71 said:
No, pure states are never represented by unit vectors but by unit rays (i.e. by unit vectors modulo an arbitrary phase factor)
Is this what is referred to as a global phase factor?

Nugatory said:
I would say that they are represented by rays, where a ray is a set of all vectors that are a complex constant multiple of one another (same "direction", different magnitudes).
So is the direction of a vector component the defining feature for a pure state? This makes sense because two rays with the same direction but different magnitude would give the same expectation value with respect to the same observable since they are identical unit vectors once normalized. Right?

Last edited:
Roughly speaking, it's the global phase factor. It is an important point to make clear that pure states are represented as rays not as vectors in Hilbert space. Equivalently you can say that a statistical operator represents a general state, which is more simple to deal with in practice. From this point of view the pure states are defined as the special case of the statistical operator being a projection operator with trace 1.

This issue is important, because it explains, e.g., why there are particles with half-integer spin. E.g., a spin-1/2 spinor changes sign under 360-degree rotations. Now, since not the spinor represents a spin state but the corresponding ray, the rotated state is the same as the original one as it must be for 360-degree rotations. If you'd falsely assume that the spinor itself would represent the state, you'd come to the conclusion that all half-integer representations of the rotation group are not allowed, which for sure is wrong, because all the matter around us consists of spin-1/2 particles (quarks and leptons).

Likes jimmycricket
I must admit I've had a difficult time getting to grips with these global phase factors. I am currently writing a project on the basics of quantum information and quantum computing and they crop up everywhere. I understand that global phase factors are essentially irrelevant since they do not affect the expectation values for any observables. My proffesor has brushed over the toic when I hav mentioned it. So what exactly are they there for or why do they appear?
vanhees71 said:
It is an important point to make clear that pure states are represented as rays not as vectors in Hilbert space.
I thought that pure states corresponded to points on the bloch sphere which are defined by unit vectors aren't they?

jimmycricket said:
So what exactly are they there for or why do they appear?

They appear because in reality states are positive operators of unit trace - not elements of a vector space. By definition pure operators are of the form |u><u|. The |u> are elements of a vector space and can, and usually are, thought of that way. But note |cu><cu| = |u><u| where c is any complex number of unit length ie a phase factor. Thus phase factors are unimportant.

Why are states positive operators of unit trace? Usually its simply stated its an axiom and axioms don't have reasons beyond that. But in this case there is a deeper reason associated with a theorem called Gleason's theorem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleason's_theorem

Thanks
Bill

Likes jimmycricket
Yes, that's the special case of a two-dimensional Hilbert space, realized, e.g., by the spin of a spin-1/2 particle or the polarization of a photon.

Here, it is easy to characterize all possible Statistical operators. These are represented by postive semidefinite Hermitean (in finite-dimensional spaces equivalent to self-adjoint) ##\mathbb{C}^{2 \times 2}## matrices. All these matrices can be written as real linear combinations of the identity matrix and the three Pauli matrices:
$$\hat{\rho}=\frac{1}{2} (\hat{1}+\vec{r} \cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}}.$$
Since the Pauli matrices are trace-less you have ##\mathrm{tr} \hat{\rho}=1## for any ##\vec{r} \in \mathbb{R}^3##.

Further the eigenvalues must be positive semidefinite. From the explicit form of the Statistical Operator,
$$\hat{\rho}=\frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix}
1+r_3 & r_1-\mathrm{i} r_2 \\
r_1+\mathrm{i} r_3 & 1-r_3
\end{pmatrix},$$
you find the eigenvalues
$$\lambda_1=\frac{1}{2}(1+|\vec{r}|), \quad \lambda_2=\frac{1}{2}(1-|\vec{r}|).$$
This implies that ##|\vec{r}| \leq 1##.

This provides a one-to-one mapping of all possible states of a two-level system to the compact unit ball in ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

For a pure state, the Statistical Operator must be a projection operator to a one-dimensional sub-space of ##\mathbb{C}^2##, i.e., you must have one eigenvalue to be 0, which implies that ##\hat{\rho}## represents a pure state for all ##\vec{r}## with ##|\vec{r}|=1##, and thus all possible pure states are parametrized by a unit vector in ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

It's also easy to check that the projector property
##\hat{\rho}^2=\hat{\rho}##
is fulfilled exactly for all ##\vec{r} \in S_2##.

Note that the Bloch sphere characterizes pure states with their Statistical Operators not as vectors in ##\mathbb{C}^2##. Of course, again this characterization of a pure state as a trace-1 projection operator is equivalent to its characterization as the ray, determined by the eigenvector with eigenvalue 1 of this projection operator.

jimmycricket said:
I must admit I've had a difficult time getting to grips with these global phase factors. I am currently writing a project on the basics of quantum information and quantum computing and they crop up everywhere. I understand that global phase factors are essentially irrelevant since they do not affect the expectation values for any observables. My proffesor has brushed over the toic when I hav mentioned it. So what exactly are they there for or why do they appear?

Because a pure state is a ray, when you write a unit vector representing the state, there is more than one way to write it, and all states that differ by a global phase factor are different ways of writing the same state. It is analogous to the electric potential in electrostatics - only the potential difference is physical - physical situations described by potentials that differ by a global constant represent the same physical situation. Since the global phase factor of the wave function and the global constant to the potential can be freely chosen according to taste, convention and convenience.

Related to Quantum states as normal vectors

1. What are quantum states as normal vectors?

Quantum states as normal vectors are mathematical representations of the state of a quantum system. They describe the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, and can be used to calculate the outcome of measurements on the system.

2. How are quantum states represented as normal vectors?

Quantum states are represented as normal vectors in a mathematical space known as Hilbert space. Each possible state of a quantum system is represented by a different vector in this space, with the length and direction of the vector corresponding to the probability of finding the system in that state.

3. What is the significance of using normal vectors to represent quantum states?

Using normal vectors to represent quantum states allows for the use of mathematical tools, such as linear algebra, to describe and analyze quantum systems. This approach also allows for the application of principles from classical mechanics, making it easier to understand and study quantum phenomena.

4. How do quantum states as normal vectors differ from classical states?

Unlike classical states, which can only have definite values for properties such as position and momentum, quantum states can exist in a superposition of multiple states. This means that a quantum system can have multiple possible outcomes when measured, whereas a classical system would have a single definite outcome.

5. How do quantum states evolve over time?

The evolution of quantum states over time is described by the Schrödinger equation, which determines how the state vector changes in response to interactions with other systems. This evolution is continuous and deterministic, but the measurement process can cause the state to "collapse" into a definite outcome, in a way that is not fully understood.