Quantum states and complex numbers - newbie question

In summary, the qubit is a two-state quantum-mechanical system represented by a quantum state and a two-dimensional vector space over the complex numbers. This means that vectors in this space consist of two components, which can be added, subtracted, or multiplied by scalars. In a real vector space, the components and scalars are real numbers, while in a complex vector space, they are complex numbers.
carmatic
this wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qubit says
The qubit is described by a quantum state in a two-state quantum-mechanical system, which is formally equivalent to a two-dimensional vector space over the complex numbers.

i am kind of comfortable with the physics of it, but i am totally lost on the thing about vector space over the complex numbers

can someone please lend me a hand? it seems that the more i try to read about it, the less i know

Physics news on Phys.org
In general a vector space consists of vectors with scalar multipliers. In two dimensions vectors are of the form (x,y) where x and y are numbers (scalars). For a real vector space x and y will be real numbers and the scalars are real numbers, while for a complex vector space x and y will be complex numbers and the scalars may be complex.. Vectors can be added or subtracted and multiplied by scalars.

For example Let (x,y) and (u,v) be vectors and a and b scalars, then
a(x,y) + b(u,v) = (ax+bu,ay+bv).

Related to Quantum states and complex numbers - newbie question

1. What are quantum states?

Quantum states are mathematical representations of the physical states of a quantum system. They describe the probability of finding a particle in a certain state or location.

2. Why are complex numbers used in quantum mechanics?

Complex numbers are used in quantum mechanics because they are the most suitable mathematical tool for describing the behavior of quantum systems. Complex numbers allow for the representation of both real and imaginary components, which are necessary for describing the wave-like behavior of particles in quantum states.

3. How are quantum states and complex numbers related?

Quantum states are represented by complex numbers, specifically through the wave function. The wave function is a complex-valued function that describes the state of a quantum system at a given time.

4. Can you give an example of a quantum state and its corresponding complex number?

One example is the spin state of an electron, which can be represented by the complex number (1/√2)(|↑> + |↓>). This complex number shows the probability amplitudes of finding the electron in either an "up" or "down" spin state.

5. Are all quantum states represented by complex numbers?

Yes, all quantum states are represented by complex numbers. This is due to the fact that complex numbers are necessary for describing the wave-like behavior of particles in quantum mechanics, and all quantum states exhibit this behavior.