Quantum SHO Ladder Operator in Mathcad

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with graphing the first 15 states of a simple harmonic oscillator using the ladder operator in a Quantum I problem set. The speaker mentions using mathcad to create a function, but is having trouble getting it to return a function. They later discover the issue and suggest assigning the result of the function to an intermediate function before assigning it back to psi. The conversation then shifts to a new problem where graphing psi 3 (x) takes a long time to process, but applying simplify to psi n of x and pasting it into the graph significantly reduces the processing time. The speaker asks if there is a way to automate this process.
bugbug
A Quantum I problem set asks me to graph the first 15 states of the simple harmonic oscillator. Our department uses mathcad heavily, so I think I should write a function that applies the ladder operator repeatedly to generate the wave function. I'm having trouble getting it to actually return a function to me though. Enclosed is the little loop I have written. Any advice on making this actually work?

Attachments

• quantumsholadder.GIF
    quantumsholadder.GIF
    1.8 KB · Views: 485
Computer science news on Phys.org
I figured out the problem. I need to assign the result of the application of the wave function to an intermediate function before assigning it back to psi:

Attachments

• quantumsholadderfix.GIF
    quantumsholadderfix.GIF
    2.1 KB · Views: 494
All right. Now I have another problem. When I attempt to graph psi 3 (x) it takes an extraordinarily long time to process. But if I apply simplify to psi n of x and then paste that into the graph it evaluates in much, much less time. Is there any way to automate this process?

Related to Quantum SHO Ladder Operator in Mathcad

What is a Quantum SHO Ladder Operator?

A Quantum SHO (Simple Harmonic Oscillator) Ladder Operator is a mathematical tool used to describe the energy levels and transitions of a quantum mechanical system, such as an atom or molecule. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and utilizes the concept of raising and lowering operators to represent the energy states of the system.

What are the components of a Quantum SHO Ladder Operator?

The two main components of a Quantum SHO Ladder Operator are the raising operator (a+) and the lowering operator (a-). These operators act on the wavefunction of a quantum system and change the energy level of the system by one unit (e.g. from n to n+1 or n-1). The operators are defined in terms of the position and momentum operators of the system.

How is the Quantum SHO Ladder Operator used in Mathcad?

In Mathcad, the Quantum SHO Ladder Operator is typically used in conjunction with the Schrodinger equation to solve for the energy levels and wavefunctions of a quantum system. The operators are represented using the a+ and a- symbols, and the equations can be manipulated and solved using the built-in mathematical functions and tools in Mathcad.

What are the applications of the Quantum SHO Ladder Operator?

The Quantum SHO Ladder Operator has a wide range of applications in quantum mechanics, including in the study of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. It is used to calculate energy transitions, determine selection rules for spectroscopic transitions, and analyze the behavior of quantum systems under various conditions.

Are there any limitations to using the Quantum SHO Ladder Operator?

Like any mathematical tool, the Quantum SHO Ladder Operator has its limitations. It is primarily used to describe simple systems and may not accurately predict the behavior of more complex quantum systems. Additionally, it is based on certain assumptions and approximations, which may not hold true in all cases.