Quantum Physics: observables, eigenstates and probability

In summary: For the later part of the question my attempted answer is so far from the solution that I am clueless on how to approach it at this point. I am hoping that with some insight into this first part of the question I might understand how to approach the rest of the question. I would very much appreciate any guidance.In summary, the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of an observable are related by: v_{+} = (u_{+} + u_{-})/\sqrt{2} and v_{-} = (u_{+} - u_{-})/\sqrt{2}. The equation \widehat{C} =\widehat{A} + \widehat
sgsurrey

Homework Statement

Observable [itex]\widehat{A}[/itex] has eigenvalues [itex]\pm[/itex]1 with corresponding eigenfunctions [itex]u_{+}[/itex] and [itex]u_{-}[/itex]. Observable [itex]\widehat{B}[/itex] has eigenvalues [itex]\pm[/itex]1 with corresponding eigenfunctions [itex]v_{+}[/itex] and [itex]v_{-}[/itex].

The eigenfunctions are related by:

[itex]v_{+} = (u_{+} + u_{-})/\sqrt{2}[/itex]
[itex]v_{-} = (u_{+} - u_{-})/\sqrt{2}[/itex]

Show that [itex]\widehat{C}[/itex] =[itex]\widehat{A}[/itex] + [itex]\widehat{B}[/itex] is an observable and find the possible results of a measurement of [itex]\widehat{C}[/itex].
Find the probability of obtaining each result when a measurement of [itex]\widehat{C}[/itex] is performed on an atom in the state [itex]u_{+}[/itex] and the corresponding state of the atom immediately after the measurement in terms of [itex]u_{+}[/itex] and [itex]u_{-}[/itex] .

Homework Equations

[itex]\widehat{A}u_{\pm}=\pm u_{\pm}[/itex]
[itex]\widehat{B}v_{\pm}=\pm v_{\pm}[/itex]
[itex]v_{+} = (u_{+} + u_{-})/\sqrt{2}[/itex]
[itex]v_{-} = (u_{+} - u_{-})/\sqrt{2}[/itex]
[itex]u_{+} = (v_{+} + v_{-})/\sqrt{2}[/itex]
[itex]u_{-} = (v_{+} - v_{-})/\sqrt{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Showing that C is an observable I have assumed is as simple as the fact that it is a linear combination of the A and B operators, which are observables matching the requirement to have real eigenvalues.

I'm slightly puzzled by the measurement part of the question; I have tried simply:
[itex]\widehat{C}v_{+} = \widehat{A}v_{+} + \widehat{B}v_{+}
= \widehat{A}(u_{+} + u_{-})/\sqrt{2} + v_{+} = v_{-} + v_{+} = \sqrt{2}u_{+}[/itex]

I'm not sure I fully understand this however; I expected a result of the format:
[itex]\widehat{C}v_{+} = c_{+}v_{+}[/itex]
...where c is a 'result of the measurement', the eigenvalue of C. I'm not sure if it is correct to say that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is the eigenvalue if the resulting eigenfunction is not the same as the starting eigenfunction.

The answer I have been given for this part of the question is [itex]\pm\sqrt{2}[/itex], but I feel I have now simply found the simplest way to get this in an answer, without understanding why (had I not been lost from the outset I would have avoided looking at the answer in the first place).

For the later part of the question my attempted answer is so far from the solution that I am clueless on how to approach it at this point. I am hoping that with some insight into this first part of the question I might understand how to approach the rest of the question. I would very much appreciate any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sgsurrey.

Since the question wants you to express the outcome of a measurement of [itex]\widehat{C}[/itex] in terms of [itex]u_{+}[/itex] and [itex]u_{-}[/itex] it might be a good idea to work in the basis [itex]u_{+}[/itex], [itex]u_{-}[/itex].
Can you find the matrix representations of [itex]\widehat{A}[/itex], [itex]\widehat{B}[/itex] , and [itex]\widehat{C}[/itex] with respect to the [itex]u_{+}[/itex], [itex]u_{-}[/itex] basis?

Once you have the matrix representation of [itex]\widehat{C}[/itex], you can use it to find the possible results of a measurement of [itex]\widehat{C}[/itex] and the probability of each of those results if the initial state is [itex]u_{+}[/itex].

Last edited:
Thank you for your response.

I'm a few weeks into this QM module, I've yet to cover the matrix representations and thus my understanding is lacking in this approach. Since you've suggested this I have realized that this method is outlined a few pages after what I had previously studied in my textbook so far; I will read this now. I'll hopefully then proceed with an attempt at the solution.

It's possible to get the answer to this question without matrix representations of the operators. The matrix approach is just kind of a nice way to go about it in my opinion.

The matrix method sounds useful, so I'm reading up on it.

As far as I can see so far I can represent each eigenfunction as a vector in terms of the 'u' basis:

[itex]u_{+} = \left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \end{array}\right)[/itex]
[itex]u_{-} = \left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 1 \end{array}\right)[/itex]
[itex]v_{+} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array}\right)[/itex]
[itex]v_{-} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ -1 \end{array}\right)[/itex]

Then it seems I can express operator A as:

[itex]\widehat{A} = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array}\right)[/itex]

Now stuck on operator B...

Are my above assumptions correct?

It would appear that B is:

[itex]\widehat{B} = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

and thus C:

[itex]\widehat{C} = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

There is probably a much easier way to obtain those matrices than the way I just used (trial and error)...

Yes, that looks correct. Formally, you can get the matrix elements for C by noting that the C11 element is <u+|C|u+> = <u+|A|u+> + <u+|B|u+>. To evaluate <u+|B|u+>, express u+ in terms of the v vectors. Likewise, the C12 matrix element is <u+|C|u->, etc.

Sorry, it's easier to first find the matrix for B and then just add A and B to find C as you did! You can find the matrix elements for B using the method I described for C.

I'm now struggling to understand what this means.

If I operate C on u+, or rather matrix multiply C with the vector, I get the vector:

[itex]\widehat{C}u_{+} = \left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

Which clearly has a magnitude [itex]\pm\sqrt{2}[/itex] (which I have in the solutions for this problem)

I'm unsure of how I find the state that the 'atom' is now in... any hints? I feel I am out of my depth with this problem, perhaps I should return to it at a later stage.

Operating on u+ with C does not correspond to measuring C when the systems is in the state u+, so that's not going to be of much help.

Can you fill in the blank here:

A fundamental postulate of QM is that the result of a measurement of an observable C is always one of the ___________ of C.

Ah.. got it, sorry, matrix notation getting me confused.

A measurement of an observable will be one of the eigenvalues:

[itex](A-λI)\psi = 0[/itex]

[itex]\left|\begin{array}{cc} 1-λ & 1 \\ 1 & -1-λ \end{array}\right| = 0[/itex]

λ = ±√2

Right. And what will the state of the system be after the measurement?

Then get:

[itex]ω_{+}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4-2\sqrt{2}}}\left(\begin{array}{c} 1-\sqrt{2} \\ 1 \end{array}\right)[/itex]
[itex]ω_{-}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4+2\sqrt{2}}}\left(\begin{array}{c} 1+\sqrt{2} \\ 1 \end{array}\right)[/itex]

and probabilities:

[itex]\left(\left<ω_{+}|u_{+}\right>\right)^2 = 0.146[/itex]
[itex]\left(\left<ω_{-}|u_{+}\right>\right)^2 = 0.854[/itex]

In the solution I have:
[itex]ω_{+}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4-2\sqrt{2}}}\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ -(1-\sqrt{2}) \end{array}\right)[/itex]
[itex]ω_{-}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4+2\sqrt{2}}}\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ -(1+\sqrt{2}) \end{array}\right)[/itex]
and the probabilities for ω+ and ω- are opposite...

Do you know if this is equivalent; or have I made a mistake?

Last edited:
I'm now aware that I have made a mistake and will hopefully figure this out later.

sgsurrey said:
[itex]\left(\left<ω_{+}|u_{+}\right>\right)^2 = 0.146[/itex]
[itex]\left(\left<ω_{-}|u_{+}\right>\right)^2 = 0.854[/itex]

In the solution I have:
[itex]ω_{+}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4-2\sqrt{2}}}\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ -(1-\sqrt{2}) \end{array}\right)[/itex]
[itex]ω_{-}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4+2\sqrt{2}}}\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ -(1+\sqrt{2}) \end{array}\right)[/itex]
and the probabilities for ω+ and ω- are opposite...

Looks good! That's what I got anyway.

Related to Quantum Physics: observables, eigenstates and probability

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles in terms of probabilities rather than definite outcomes.

2. What are observables in quantum physics?

Observables are physical quantities, such as position, momentum, or energy, that can be measured or observed in a physical system. In quantum physics, observables are represented by mathematical operators that act on the wave function of a system to determine its possible values.

3. What are eigenstates in quantum physics?

Eigenstates are the states of a quantum system that correspond to definite values of an observable. They are represented by vectors in a mathematical space and can be thought of as the "building blocks" of a system's wave function. When an observable is measured, the system will collapse into one of its eigenstates with a certain probability.

4. How are observables and eigenstates related in quantum physics?

The values of observables are determined by the eigenstates of a system. When an observable is measured, the system will collapse into one of its eigenstates with a certain probability, and the measured value will correspond to the eigenvalue of that state. The combination of all possible eigenstates and their probabilities make up the overall wave function of the system.

5. What is the role of probability in quantum physics?

Probability plays a crucial role in quantum physics, as it is used to determine the likelihood of a particular outcome in a quantum system. Unlike classical physics, where outcomes are deterministic, quantum systems can exhibit probabilistic behavior due to the uncertainty principle. This means that the exact outcome of a measurement cannot be predicted, but rather the probability of different outcomes can be calculated using the system's wave function.