Quantum mechanics wave function

In summary, the given quantum mechanics wave function for a particle in an infinite potential square well of width 1 unit is Ψ(x,t)= sin(\pix)e^{-i(\pi^2\overline{h}/2)t} + sin(2\pix)e^{-i(4\pi^2\overline{h}/2)t}\, where \overline{h} is a certain constant. To calculate the probability density |\Psi(x,t)|^{2}, the complex function must be multiplied by its complex conjugate, resulting in no imaginary terms.
gotmilk04

Homework Statement

One of the quantum mechanics wave functions of a particle of unit mass trapped in an infinite potential square well of width 1 unit is given by

Ψ(x,t)= sin([tex]\pi[/tex]x)e[tex]^{-i(\pi^2\overline{h}/2)t}[/tex] + sin(2[tex]\pi[/tex]x)e[tex]^{-i(4\pi^2\overline{h}/2)t}[/tex]\

where [tex]\overline{h}[/tex] is a certain constant. Calculate |[tex]\Psi[/tex](x,t)|[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to calculate |[tex]\Psi[/tex](x,t)|[tex]^{2}[/tex] I need to separate the real and imaginary parts, but I'm not sure how to get started.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use eiz = cos(z) + i·sin(z)

Alternatively, you could multiply ψ by its complex conjugate.

If I multiply by the complex conjugate, I'll get |[tex]\Psi(x,t)|^{2}[/tex]?

I multiplied it by the complex conjugate, but there are still i's in the equation. Aren't there supposed to be no i's?

That's right. If you multiply by the conjugate and simplify, there should be no i's left.

Show us your calculations.

Sorry about not responding sooner. Somehow I missed seeing this thread's new activity in my subscribed threads lists, until just now.

gotmilk04 said:
If I multiply by the complex conjugate, I'll get |[tex]\Psi(x,t)|^{2}[/tex]?
Yes. This is true of any complex number.

Let z = x + iy, where x and y are real.

Then

z·z* = (x + iy)·(x - iy) = [algebra left as an exercise to the reader] = |z|2

If you post your calculation, we can help either spotting an error or with how to simplify your expression further.

Related to Quantum mechanics wave function

1. What is a wave function in quantum mechanics?

A wave function in quantum mechanics is a mathematical description of the state of a quantum system. It contains all the information about the possible values of physical quantities that can be measured, such as position, momentum, and energy.

2. How is the wave function related to probability in quantum mechanics?

The wave function is related to probability in quantum mechanics through the Born rule, which states that the probability of finding a particle at a certain position is equal to the absolute square of the amplitude of its wave function at that position.

3. Can the wave function be observed or measured?

No, the wave function itself cannot be observed or measured. Instead, it is used to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and the probabilities of different outcomes of measurements.

4. Can the wave function change over time?

Yes, the wave function can change over time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wave function evolves over time in a quantum system. This change is known as wave function collapse and is triggered by measurements.

5. What is the importance of the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The wave function is central to the understanding of quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It allows for the prediction of probabilities and is essential in the development of quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.