Quantum Mechanics: Degenerate Perturbation Theory on square well

In summary, the student is trying to use degenerate perturbation theory to solve a problem involving the non-diagonal elements of a three dimensional matrix. He is having trouble doing so and needs help from the reader.
Evil Harry

Homework Statement

Hi I am trying to apply degenerate perturbation theory to a three dimensional square well v= 0 for x, y,z interval 0 to a, perturbed by H' = xyz (product) from 0 to a, otherwise infinite. I need to find the correction to energy of the first excited state which I know is triply degenerate. I am using Griffith's textbook.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I am having is in constructing the matrix. the one that looks like
Waa Wab
Wba Wbb

Or H11 H12
H21 H22
as some other textbooks calls it. I know for this problem I need to use a three dimensional matrix the above is just to clarify. Specifically my problem arises when i need to solve the values of the non diagonal elements. say Wab because this leads to an integral that I can't seem to solve the integral of say:
integrate x sin(Ax) sin(Bx) between 0 and a, where A and B are different because the wave functions are different say that n=1 for the argument in A and n=2 for the argument in B. so that the wave functions are [tex]\psi[/tex] 112 and [tex]\psi[/tex]211. Now I am trying to avoid solving the integral having been unsucsesful in numerous attempts and instead use another approach of finding an operator that commutes with H' and H (the unpeturbed system). So my new problem is an operator that I can use. I have never before used this method and there isn't really a worked example in the book. So any help with this integral (see bottom) or in using this method will be much appreciated. How do I know which operator to use and since they have simultaneous eigenfunctions wouldn't the diagonal elements be the same as using non degenerate perturbation theory <ψ | H'|ψ > or am I now using different eigenfunctions than those of the square well?
E=∫_0^a▒〖xsin(xπ/a) sin⁡(2πx/a)dx〗

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral is of the form x sin(ax) sin(bx). There are many ways to do this. You could first use sin(ax)sin(bx) = (1/2)cos((a-b)x) - (1/2)cos((a+b)x), then you have to integrate x cos(cx), which can be done by integration by parts.

Thanx for the help, I forgot about that identity, haven't used it in a while.

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Degenerate Perturbation Theory on square well

1. What is Quantum Mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of particles, and has led to the development of technologies such as transistors and lasers.

2. What is Degenerate Perturbation Theory?

Degenerate Perturbation Theory is a mathematical approach used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels of a system when there are multiple states with the same energy. It takes into account the interactions between these states to provide a more accurate prediction of the energy levels.

3. How does Degenerate Perturbation Theory apply to a square well potential?

A square well potential is a common model used in quantum mechanics to represent the potential energy of a particle in a confined space. Degenerate Perturbation Theory can be used to calculate the energy levels of particles in this potential, taking into account any interactions between states with the same energy.

4. What are the limitations of Degenerate Perturbation Theory?

Degenerate Perturbation Theory is limited in its applicability to systems with a small number of particles and weak interactions. It also assumes that the perturbation is small, meaning that the energy levels will not be significantly affected by its presence.

5. How is Degenerate Perturbation Theory used in practical applications?

Degenerate Perturbation Theory is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the development of new materials and technologies. It is also used in theoretical studies to understand the behavior of complex quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules.