Quantum Locking and the Earth's Magnetic Field

In summary, increasing the strength of the Earth's magnetic field would be necessary in order to achieve quantum levitation.
parkinglot
Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it seemed like the best place to start.
I'm wondering how much stronger would the Earth's magnetic field need to be in order to make quantum levitation using Earth's magnetic field alone a possibility.
Bonus: Effects the change in strength of the field would have on other systems?
Extra bonus: Thoughts on how increasing the strength of the Earth's magnetic field would be possible?

Writing some science-fiction. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are working on a SF story. Is that the case?

anorlunda said:
It sounds like you are working on a SF story. Is that the case?
Yes, though I didn't put my original post in this forum because in the rules it says, "this forum is ONLY for the discussion of existing science fiction and fantasy stories..." Did I miss something?? I am super new here, so my apologies.

parkinglot said:
Yes, though I didn't put my original post in this forum because in the rules it says, "this forum is ONLY for the discussion of existing science fiction and fantasy stories..." Did I miss something?? I am super new here, so my apologies.
PF gets its share of SF scenarios to comment on. Sometimes there turns out to be a glimmer of actual Science in them. There is plenty of SF that's really entertaining, based on total nonsense so don't feel bad when we're grumpy. :smile:

parkinglot said:
There are two SciFi subforums: one for existing stuff and one for those who try to develop something and came to ask about the physical background of ideas. The latter is the one I just moved your thread into.

parkinglot said:
I'm wondering how much stronger would the Earth's magnetic field need to be in order to make quantum levitation using Earth's magnetic field alone a possibility.
That depends on what and how heavy is the thing you want to levitate.

Bandersnatch said:
That depends on what and how heavy is the thing you want to levitate.
Very large objects. I'm thinking of things the size of islands or even bigger. I don't have an exact size in mind, but very, very large.

Related to Quantum Locking and the Earth's Magnetic Field

1. What is quantum locking and how does it work?

Quantum locking is a phenomenon in which a superconductor is able to levitate and maintain its position in a magnetic field without any external support. This is achieved through the Meissner effect, in which the superconducting material expels magnetic fields from its interior, resulting in a repulsive force that keeps it suspended. This effect is possible due to the unique properties of superconductors, such as zero electrical resistance and perfect diamagnetism.

2. How does the Earth's magnetic field play a role in quantum locking?

The Earth's magnetic field is crucial for the phenomenon of quantum locking because it provides the necessary magnetic field for the superconductor to levitate. The strength and orientation of the Earth's magnetic field can affect the stability and height at which the superconductor is able to levitate.

3. Can quantum locking be observed in everyday objects?

No, quantum locking can only be observed in superconducting materials at extremely low temperatures. This is because superconductivity only occurs at very low temperatures, and the Meissner effect is only strong enough to levitate objects at these temperatures.

4. What are the practical applications of quantum locking?

Quantum locking has potential applications in various fields, such as transportation, energy, and medicine. For example, it could be used to create frictionless and efficient magnetic levitation trains, or to improve the performance and efficiency of MRI machines by reducing friction and vibration. It also has potential uses in energy storage and quantum computing.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to quantum locking?

One limitation of quantum locking is that it can only occur at extremely low temperatures, which makes it challenging to use in everyday applications. Additionally, the cost of cooling materials to these temperatures and the fragility of superconductors may make it impractical for widespread use. Furthermore, the levitation achieved through quantum locking is not completely stable, and external disturbances or changes in the magnetic field can disrupt the levitation.