Quantum fluctuations and order

In summary, there is no conflict between special relativity and quantum vacuum fluctuations. Quantum field theory can explain both within a consistent framework, and quantum fluctuations are too small to have a significant impact on our everyday world. The talk of a Theory of Everything (TOE) enters in the desire to peek behind the cutoff of the theory. However, the idea that GR and QFT are mutually incompatible is now outdated, as shown in the paper provided. The cutoff is at small distance scales.
DeathbyGreen
Is there a good explanation for how we can explain an ordered universe arising from an inherently uncertain quantum world? I'm aware of the conflict between special relativity and quantum vacuum fluctuations, but is this the only issue? The correspondence principle would seem to imply that quantum gives rise to classical, but I haven't seen a good explanation as to why this is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeathbyGreen said:
I'm aware of the conflict between special relativity and quantum vacuum fluctuations
There is no conflict. Quantum field theory has both in a consistent framework.

Quantum fluctuations are simply too small to matter in our everyday world (unless you look at things like spectroscopy). The central value is always the classical behavior, tiny deviations from that are often irrelevant.

Likes bhobba
Yes I meant General Relativity

Thanks for the reply. So when does talk of a TOE enter?

DeathbyGreen said:
Thanks for the reply. So when does talk of a TOE enter?

Into what?

Thanks
Bill

I was always under the impression that we searched for a TOE because quantum field theory can only explain 3 of the four fundamental forces. If QFT can describe the 3, and this paper suggests that an effective field theory can explain quantum gravity, doesn't this effectively constitute a TOE? Where are the conflicts that I always hear about? I've always been a little confused on this issue.

We search for a TOE for all sorts of reasons. But of relevance to EFT Quantum Gravity is the desire to peek behind the cutoff the theory has.

Thanks
Bill

The cutoff being the small scale right? Although wikipedia is not always reliable... "Through years of research, physicists have experimentally confirmed with tremendous accuracy virtually every prediction made by these two theories when in their appropriate domains of applicability. In accordance with their findings, scientists also learned that GR and QFT, as they are currently formulated, are mutually incompatible - they cannot both be right."

As the paper I linked to explains that view is now outdated.

The cutoff is at small distance scales.

Thanks
Bill

Likes DeathbyGreen

Related to Quantum fluctuations and order

1. What are quantum fluctuations?

Quantum fluctuations are small, random variations in the energy of a quantum system. These fluctuations are a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and are caused by the inherent uncertainty in the position and momentum of particles at the quantum level.

2. How do quantum fluctuations affect order?

Quantum fluctuations can disrupt the order of a system by introducing randomness and uncertainty. This can lead to the formation of new structures and patterns, as well as the breakdown of existing ones. In some cases, quantum fluctuations can even create order out of chaos.

3. Can quantum fluctuations be observed?

Yes, quantum fluctuations can be observed indirectly through various experiments and observations. For example, the Casimir effect, which is the attraction between two uncharged metal plates due to quantum fluctuations, has been observed and measured in multiple experiments.

4. How are quantum fluctuations related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This uncertainty is due to quantum fluctuations, which prevent us from knowing the exact state of a particle at any given time.

5. Are quantum fluctuations important in everyday life?

Quantum fluctuations may seem insignificant in our everyday lives, but they play a crucial role in the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales. Without quantum fluctuations, the universe as we know it would not exist, and many fundamental processes, such as chemical reactions and nuclear reactions, would not occur.