Quantum Computation Magnetic Spin

The $\phi$ coordinate is the azimuthal angle, which starts from the $+x$ axis and goes counterclockwise. Since the magnetic field is applied in the $x$ direction, the qubit will start on the $+x$ axis at $t=0$, so $\phi=0$. In summary, the coordinates of the qubit on the Bloch sphere at time t are $(\frac{\pi}{2}, Bt)$.
Jamestoomer

Homework Statement

A qubit is in the state |ψ(0)>=|0> . A magnetic field is applied in the x^ direction at t=0. This corresponds to the Hamiltonian H=BX, where B is a constant and X is the usual bit flip gate. What are the coordinates (θ,ϕ) of this qubit on the Bloch sphere at time t, as a function of B and t?

Homework Equations

I think i have to introduce e^(-i*H*t) into the qubit state.
The generic form of |ψ (t)> = cos(θ/2)|0> + (e^(iϕ))*sin(θ/2)|1>

The Attempt at a Solution

I have followed this through and have got θ = ∏ and ϕ = B*t
However looking at the Bloch sphere it would seem that theta is ∏/2. Also from the diagram i would think that ϕ would be 0 or 2BT but i am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated. A:If you've worked out that $\theta=\pi$ and $\phi=Bt$, then the coordinates of the qubit on the Bloch sphere are $(\frac{\pi}{2}, Bt)$. The $\theta$ coordinate is the angle from the north pole on the Bloch sphere, so it must be $\frac{\pi}{2}$.

Related to Quantum Computation Magnetic Spin

1. What is quantum computation magnetic spin?

Quantum computation magnetic spin is a field of study that combines quantum mechanics and computer science to develop technologies that utilize the spin of subatomic particles, such as electrons, to perform computing operations.

2. How does quantum computation magnetic spin differ from traditional computing?

In traditional computing, information is represented by bits that can only have a value of 0 or 1. In quantum computation magnetic spin, information is encoded in the spin states of particles, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously, allowing for more complex and efficient calculations.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum computation magnetic spin?

Potential applications include faster and more powerful computers, improved cryptography, and advancements in fields such as drug discovery and materials science.

4. What are the challenges in developing quantum computation magnetic spin technologies?

Some challenges include controlling and manipulating the spin states of particles, minimizing errors caused by external forces, and scaling up the technology for practical use.

5. Is quantum computation magnetic spin the future of computing?

While it has the potential to greatly advance computing, it is still a relatively new field and there are many challenges that need to be addressed. It is difficult to predict if it will completely replace traditional computing, but it is likely to play a significant role in the future of technology.