Quantum Communications: Emergency Calls & Mars-Earth Connectivity

In summary: Then they can beam the data back down. I'm not sure what the article says about FTL communication but I think that's the gist of it.In summary, an entangled particle beam satellite could be used for FTL communication between Earth and Mars.
GTOM
Lets suppose for SF story purposes, that the article is right that claims direct "counterfactual" communication through entanglement became possible, without classical communication channel.
How should i portray that option? If information sent by detecting when, in which phase coherence is broken, coherence still broken, no more messages with that entangled pair.
Should it be only used for emergency call? Should they build a big particle pair generator between Earth and Mars to achieve a narrow bandwith for most important messages that should delivered instantly? But most communications still done by radio.

Physics news on Phys.org
What article?

One of the most interesting fictional interpretations of entanglement communication I can think of is from Singularity Sky (and its sequel). In the book entangled q-bits allow for instantaneous communication but upon use are destroyed. Agents and organisations with chips of them have a diminishing amount of bandwidth, once it's all gone they have to get more. Additionally FTL travel broke the entanglement so chips carrying a few petabytes have to be sent by laser driven starwisp years in advance.

Likes infinitebubble
Wouldn't the whole premise of FTL communications mean such a receiver of the same intelligence be at the other end? How would this happen with the distances involved. Great for SF but nothing else unless in our time line or near space, ie our solar system.

Ryan_m_b said:
What article?

One of the most interesting fictional interpretations of entanglement communication I can think of is from Singularity Sky (and its sequel). In the book entangled q-bits allow for instantaneous communication but upon use are destroyed. Agents and organisations with chips of them have a diminishing amount of bandwidth, once it's all gone they have to get more. Additionally FTL travel broke the entanglement so chips carrying a few petabytes have to be sent by laser driven starwisp years in advance.

That article :
https://phys.org/news/2017-05-counterfactual-quantum.html
https://www.sciencealert.com/scient...tual-quantum-communication-for-the-first-time
http://www.pnas.org/content/114/19/4920.abstract

That Singularity Sky looks interesting, i thought something similar.

Well, my other question, if they put an entangled particle generator between Mars and Earth, is there any reasonable chance, that the particles remain entangled when they reach Earth and Mars? (simply radiate them can be enough? or has to pack them?)

Ok. I don't fully follow them but I don't think they've overturned the idea that information can't be transmitted faster than light. Isn't that what you're aiming for here? An FTL communication system for your SF story?

I think entangled states are fragile though I'm not 100% sure. Packaging isn't a problem though if you're OK with the idea of interplanetary particle beams. Just pack a small chip carrying terrabytes of entangled particles into a few hundred gram micro-probe with a mag/light sail. A particle beam satellite on Earth pushes it on a continual brachistochrone trajectory to Mars, half way its decelerated and captured by a Martian satellite.

Likes GTOM

Related to Quantum Communications: Emergency Calls & Mars-Earth Connectivity

1. What is quantum communication?

Quantum communication is a method of sending and receiving information using quantum mechanics principles. It involves the use of quantum particles, such as photons, to transmit information in a secure and efficient manner.

2. How is quantum communication used for emergency calls?

In emergency situations, traditional communication methods may be compromised. Quantum communication provides a more secure and reliable means of sending emergency calls by using quantum encryption techniques to protect the information being transmitted.

3. How does quantum communication enable connectivity between Mars and Earth?

Quantum communication is not limited by distance, unlike traditional communication methods. This makes it an ideal option for connecting Mars and Earth, as it allows for faster and more secure transmission of information between the two planets.

4. What are the benefits of using quantum communication for emergency calls?

There are several benefits to using quantum communication for emergency calls. These include increased security, faster transmission speeds, and the ability to maintain communication in situations where traditional methods may fail.

5. Are there any challenges to implementing quantum communication for emergency calls and Mars-Earth connectivity?

One of the main challenges is the current limitations in quantum technology, which make it difficult to scale up for widespread use. Additionally, there may be logistical challenges in setting up and maintaining quantum communication networks in remote or extreme environments, such as on Mars.