Quantum communication with extraterrestrials

In summary, this conversation is discussing whether or not it is theoretically possible to use quantum mechanics to make long distance telephone calls. It is shown that there are a few problems with this idea, the most significant of which is that quantum entanglement must still exist between the sender and receiver in order for the call to be successful.
rs422a
Hello:

I am curious if it could be theoretically possible to use QM as a communications device to make really long distance calls.

I've been reading on locality and my understanding is just beginning so bear with me as I may have it all wrong. But on a basic level if we could affect a set of photons from a star say 1000ly away, wouldn't our intercession here show up there instantly? I sort of mixed in Einstein's concept of "particles from the same source". Could this somehow really work?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
rs422a said:
Hello:

I am curious if it could be theoretically possible to use QM as a communications device to make really long distance calls.

I've been reading on locality and my understanding is just beginning so bear with me as I may have it all wrong. But on a basic level if we could affect a set of photons from a star say 1000ly away, wouldn't our intercession here show up there instantly? I sort of mixed in Einstein's concept of "particles from the same source". Could this somehow really work?

Thank you.

Here's the problem. You are trying to apply quantum entanglement without knowing that it actually is. This creates lots of problems.

There are several threads already on why one cannot send signals "instantaneously" using such principles. You might want to look at those. To be able to send entangled pieces of information, there still has to be something that is sent from some place, to the other. That extraterrestrial must still have, in its possession, that photon that got entangled at some location at one time. So you might as well send EM signals in the first place.

Zz.

Yes thank you. I am really just beginning to try and grasp the entire concept (I'm 52) but I find it fascinating nonetheless. I will continue reading and very much enjoy the threads here.

Thank you again.

Related to Quantum communication with extraterrestrials

1. How does quantum communication work?

Quantum communication is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which allows for the transfer of information through the use of quantum particles. These particles, such as photons, can be in multiple states at the same time, allowing for the encoding and decoding of information in a secure and efficient manner.

2. Can quantum communication be used to communicate with extraterrestrial life?

It is theoretically possible to use quantum communication to communicate with extraterrestrial life, as the laws of physics are believed to be universal. However, it would require advanced technology and a mutual understanding of quantum mechanics between both parties.

3. What are the potential benefits of quantum communication with extraterrestrials?

Quantum communication would allow for faster and more secure communication with extraterrestrial life, as it is not limited by the speed of light like traditional forms of communication. It could also lead to a better understanding of quantum mechanics and potentially open up new avenues for scientific research.

4. What are the potential challenges of quantum communication with extraterrestrials?

One of the main challenges is the technological capabilities required to establish and maintain quantum communication with extraterrestrial life. It would also require a mutual understanding and compatibility of quantum mechanics, which may not be guaranteed with an alien species.

5. Are there any ongoing efforts to use quantum communication with extraterrestrials?

Currently, there are no known efforts specifically focused on using quantum communication to communicate with extraterrestrial life. However, there are ongoing research and development efforts in the field of quantum communication that could potentially be applied to this purpose in the future.