Quadrupole Potential: Help Derive and Decipher This Beast

In summary: I was hesitant to do that due to a (poor notation)-induced irrational fear that p_{x'} was a function of x. But now I see it is not, since \nabla is w.r.t field point \textbf{r}, while \textbf{p} depends only on source pts \textbf{r'}.
UAR
[tex](\textbf{q}\bullet\nabla)(\textbf{p}\bullet\nabla)\frac{1}{r} = -(\textbf{p}\bullet\textbf{q})\frac{1}{r^{3}} + 3(\textbf{p}\bullet\textbf{r})(\textbf{q}\bullet\textbf{r})\frac{1}{r^{5}}[/tex]

r is distance between field point and dipole source, [tex]\textbf{p}[/tex] is dipole moment, and I believe [tex]\textbf{q}[/tex] may be quadrupole moment tensor (what is that anyways?),

How is the above equation derived ? and exactly how is it related to the more physically and mathematically lucid dipole potential below:

[tex](\textbf{p}\bullet\nabla)\frac{1}{r} = -(\textbf{p}\bullet\textbf{r})\frac{1}{r^{3}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi UAR! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(use \cdot instead of \bullet :wink:)
UAR said:
[tex](\textbf{q}\bullet\nabla)(\textbf{p}\bullet\nabla)\frac{1}{r} = -(\textbf{p}\bullet\textbf{q})\frac{1}{r^{3}} + 3(\textbf{p}\bullet\textbf{r})(\textbf{q}\bullet\textbf{r})\frac{1}{r^{5}}[/tex]

r is distance between field point and dipole source, [tex]\textbf{p}[/tex] is dipole moment, and I believe [tex]\textbf{q}[/tex] may be quadrupole moment tensor (what is that anyways?),

How is the above equation derived ? and exactly how is it related to the more physically and mathematically lucid dipole potential below:

[tex](\textbf{p}\bullet\nabla)\frac{1}{r} = -(\textbf{p}\bullet\textbf{r})\frac{1}{r^{3}}[/tex]

It's derived from that equation simply by using it twice, first with p· and then with q·

(and because (q·)(p·r) = p·q :wink:)

Thanks Tiny-tim!

However, while you are still online, excuse my slowness: why is:

[tex](\textbf{q}\cdot\nabla)(\textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{r})=\textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{q}[/tex] ?

UAR said:
why is:

[tex](\textbf{q}\cdot\nabla)(\textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{r})=\textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{q}[/tex] ?

Because p.r = xpx + ypy + zpz,

so (q·∇)(p.r) = … ? :smile:

Aaah! Thanks! I was hesitant to do that due to a (poor notation)-induced irrational fear that [tex]p_{x'}[/tex] was a function of [tex]x[/tex]. But now I see it is not, since [tex]\nabla[/tex] is w.r.t field point [tex]\textbf{r}[/tex], while [tex]\textbf{p}[/tex] depends only on source pts [tex]\textbf{r'}[/tex].

One more question: What is [tex]\textbf{q}[/tex] ?

By the way, you are truly a good mentor. Thanks for your help and keep up the great work!

UAR said:
One more question: What is [tex]\textbf{q}[/tex] ?

No idea :rolleyes: … it could be anything, and the equation would still work :wink:

Hi Tiny Tim,

Thanks for your help and for your honesty.

Anyone else care to help physically and mathematically elucidate [tex]\textbf{q}[/tex] in the quadrupole potential equation above. I read somewhere that it is called (or is related to ?) the "quadrupole moment tensor" (what exactly is that by the way?).

Thanks!

Related to Quadrupole Potential: Help Derive and Decipher This Beast

What is a quadrupole potential?

A quadrupole potential is a type of electrostatic potential that arises from four charges arranged in a specific geometric configuration. It is characterized by two parallel dipoles with opposite charges that are separated by a distance.

How is a quadrupole potential derived?

A quadrupole potential can be derived using the mathematical equations for electric potential, which take into account the positions and magnitudes of the four charges. This process involves solving for the potential at different points in space, and can be quite complex.

What is the significance of a quadrupole potential in physics?

Quadrupole potentials are important in many areas of physics, particularly in studying the behavior of electric fields. They are commonly used in experiments and simulations to model the behavior of particles in complex electric fields, and are also used in the design of various electronic devices.

How is a quadrupole potential different from a dipole potential?

A dipole potential is generated by two charges with opposite polarities, while a quadrupole potential is generated by four charges with a specific arrangement. Additionally, the electric field produced by a quadrupole potential is more complex and has both attractive and repulsive regions, whereas a dipole potential only has an attractive region.

What is the best way to visualize and understand a quadrupole potential?

The best way to visualize a quadrupole potential is through graphical representations, such as contour plots or vector plots. These show the direction and magnitude of the electric field at different points in space, providing a visual understanding of the potential's behavior. It can also be helpful to study the equations and understand how the potential changes as the positions and magnitudes of the charges are altered.