Is my attempt to derive Gauss' law correct?

In summary, the divergence is defined as (I saw this on Fuller & Byron "Mathematics of classical and quantum physics") and is used to calculate the electric field. The differential form of Gauss's law can be derived using Coulomb's law.
SothSogi
Hi there. I am trying to derive Gauss's law from the divergence. I would like to know if it is correct:

The divergence is defined as (I saw this on Fuller & Byron "Mathematics of classical and quantum physics")

##
\nabla\cdot\textbf{E}=\lim_{\Delta\tau\rightarrow0}\frac{1}{\Delta\tau}\int_\sigma\textbf{E}\cdot d\boldsymbol\sigma
##

Then I made the following

##
\nabla\cdot\textbf{E}=\lim_{\Delta\tau\rightarrow0}\frac{1}{\Delta\tau}\int_\sigma\textbf{E}\cdot d\boldsymbol\sigma=\frac{1}{d\tau}\int_\sigma\textbf{E}\cdot d\boldsymbol\sigma
##

So then, for a point charge and taking the dot product for a spherical surface element

##
\nabla\cdot\textbf{E}=\frac{1}{d\tau}\int_\sigma\frac{q}{4\pi\varepsilon_0\vert\textbf{r}\vert^2}d\sigma=\frac{1}{d\tau}\frac{q}{4\pi\varepsilon_0\vert\textbf{r}\vert^2}\int_\sigma d\sigma
##

##
\nabla\cdot\textbf{E}=\frac{1}{d\tau}\frac{q}{4\pi\varepsilon_0\vert\textbf{r}\vert^2}\left(4\pi r^2\right)=\frac{1}{d\tau}\frac{q}{\varepsilon_0}
##

Now ##
q=\int_V\rho d\tau
##

So

##
\nabla\cdot\textbf{E}=\frac{1}{d\tau}\frac{1}{\varepsilon_0}\int_V\rho d\tau=\frac{1}{\varepsilon_0}\int_V\rho\frac{d\tau}{d\tau}
##

So

##
\nabla\cdot\textbf{E}=\frac{1}{\varepsilon_0}\rho
##Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Thank you so much for putting your equations in Tex form!

There are two forms of Gauss's law (see Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_law), the integral form and the differential form. From your conclusion, it sounds like you are trying to prove the differential form, ##\nabla\cdot\textbf{E}=\frac{1}{\varepsilon_0}\rho##
It looks like you are supposed to use Coulomb's law.

Your solution looks basically OK, following the correct logic. You use of infinitesimals such as ##\Delta \tau## and ##d\tau## seems a little off. For example, you write ##\int_V\rho\frac{d\tau}{d\tau}##. This expression is malformed. ##\frac{d\tau}{d\tau}## is unity and the integral becomes ##\int_V\rho##, which doesn't make sense.

Likes SothSogi
Hi,
I am not an expert but if you assume that the E field is that of a point charge then how would this be a general derivation? Personally, i like the derivation using solid angles method but it gives the integral form of Gauss law.

Yes, Pumpkin, I see what you mean. Do you think the assignment is to derive the differential form starting with the integral form? I mean, we have to start with something. It seems we could also start with a general form for the electric field, as below. Do you think that is the starting point the instructor intended?

##E(x)=\int_V \frac{\rho (x^\prime) (x-x^\prime)}{|x-x^\prime|^3}d^3 x^\prime##

I omitted the factor ##\frac{1}{\epsilon_0}##

Yes, i think you should use that Expression instead.

Does your course include the use of delta functions? If we take the divergence of the integral we will get an expression involving delta functions.

PumpkinCougar95 said:
Personally, i like the derivation using solid angles method but it gives the integral form of Gauss law.

Well, I don't know much about electrodynamics but once you have the integral form it's pretty easy to switch to derivate form:

$$\int_S (\mathbf E⋅\mathbf n) dA = \frac Q {\epsilon}$$
$$ \int_S (\mathbf E⋅\mathbf n) dA = \frac 1 {\epsilon} \int_V \rho dV$$

Using the divergence theorem

$$ \int_S (\mathbf E⋅\mathbf n) dA = \int_V ∇ ⋅ \mathbf E dV $$

so

$$\int_V ∇ ⋅ \mathbf E dV = \frac 1 {\epsilon} \int_V \rho dV $$

Since ##\epsilon## is constant the above equality is true only if

$$ ∇ ⋅ \mathbf E = \frac {\rho} {\epsilon} $$

Likes SothSogi
Looks good

Ok, thank you very much to all! There are some things you mention that I honestly do not know, like for instance the delta functions. But it is now clear where my mistakes were and how to derive it using other methods.

Thank you.

Likes PumpkinCougar95

Related to Is my attempt to derive Gauss' law correct?

1. What is Gauss' law?

Gauss' law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed charge. It is a mathematical representation of the relationship between electric fields and charges.

2. How do I derive Gauss' law?

To derive Gauss' law, you need to use the divergence theorem and apply it to a closed surface enclosing a charge. This will result in the equation Q = ε0 * ΦE, where Q is the enclosed charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and ΦE is the electric flux through the surface.

3. Is there a specific method to follow when deriving Gauss' law?

Yes, there are several methods for deriving Gauss' law, including using symmetry arguments, mathematical proofs, and visualizations. It is important to carefully follow these methods to ensure the correctness of the derivation.

4. How can I check if my attempt to derive Gauss' law is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your derivation is to compare it to known derivations and see if they produce the same result. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the properties of electric fields and charges.

5. Are there any common mistakes when deriving Gauss' law?

Yes, some common mistakes when deriving Gauss' law include not considering the direction of the electric field, not properly applying the divergence theorem, and not taking into account the charge enclosed by the surface. It is important to carefully review your derivation and make sure all steps are accurate.