Quadratic Interpolation question

In summary, to determine a quadratic polynomial p(x), given the conditions of p(1)=f(1), p'(1)=f'(1), and p''(1)=f''(1), where f(x)=xex-1, the coefficients of p(x) can be found using the Gauss or Gauss-Jordan method. The x values are known and the coefficients are found through matrix operations. The column order of the 'a' and 'b' coefficients may change, but the matrix formula remains the same. With the derivatives involved, the equations are set to the corresponding 'y' values and solved to find the coefficients for 'a', 'b', and 'c'. The first equation is 1=a+b+c
doggitz
I have to find a system of linear equations to determine a quadratic polynomial

p(x) = ax2+bx+c

Given the conditions:

p(1) = f(1)
p'(1) = f'(1)
p''(1) = f''(1)

where f(x) = xex-1

I know:

p(x) = ax2+bx+c
p'(x) = 2ax +b
p''(x) = 2x

f(x) = xex-1
f'(x) = ex-1 + xex-1
f''(x) = 2ex-1 + xex-1

I am just learning Linear Algebra, and I am in the early Chapters of my book, so I can only use the Gauss method or the Gauss-Jordan method for this matrix. Just to clarify, I am hoping to return to school, so I am trying to learn this on my own.

I understand that the x values are known and I am finding the coefficients values in the matrix operations, but I am a little confused about the column order of the 'a' and 'b' coefficients.

If

Code:
A = | x[SUP]2[/SUP]  x  1  | 
    | x[SUP]2[/SUP]  x  1  | 
    | x[SUP]2[/SUP]  x  1  |

is my matrix "formula" how do I account for the 'a' coefficient "changing order" to the lower order coefficient of x, and what does my matrix look like to solve this problem?

Without the derivatives I am not confused, I would substitute for the 'x' values and set each equation to the corresponding 'y' value and solve the matrix to get the values of the coefficients for 'a' 'b' and 'c'. With the derivative involved I am in need of help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't as complicated as you think. f(1)=1 and p(1)=a+b+c. So your first equation is 1=a+b+c. What are the second and third? It's not really about the x's.

Related to Quadratic Interpolation question

1. What is quadratic interpolation?

Quadratic interpolation is a mathematical method used to estimate the values of a function at points in between known data points. It involves fitting a parabola to three adjacent data points and using it to approximate the value of the function at a desired point.

2. When is quadratic interpolation used?

Quadratic interpolation is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to estimate values of a function at points in between known data points. It is particularly useful when the data points are not evenly spaced.

3. How is quadratic interpolation different from linear interpolation?

Linear interpolation involves fitting a straight line between two data points and using it to estimate values in between. Quadratic interpolation, on the other hand, uses a parabola to better approximate the behavior of the function between three data points.

4. What are the limitations of quadratic interpolation?

One limitation of quadratic interpolation is that it can only be used for data sets with evenly spaced data points. It also assumes that the function being approximated is smooth and continuous. Additionally, it can produce inaccurate results if the data points are not well-behaved.

5. How accurate is quadratic interpolation compared to other interpolation methods?

The accuracy of quadratic interpolation depends on the smoothness and continuity of the function being approximated, as well as the spacing of the data points. In general, it is more accurate than linear interpolation, but less accurate than higher order interpolation methods such as cubic or spline interpolation.