Quadratic forms with p-adic coefficient

In summary, quadratic forms with p-adic coefficients are mathematical functions involving squares of variables and integers in the p-adic number system. They differ from traditional quadratic forms in that they are defined over the p-adic number system, have unique properties, and have various applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. P-adic quadratic forms are significant in mathematics as they provide a powerful tool for studying number systems and have connections to various areas of mathematics. Current research in this field includes generalizing the theory, studying behavior over more general p-adic fields, and exploring connections to other areas of mathematics.
antonio85
How can I found out in which p-adic fields a quadratic form represent 0?

For example in which p-adic fields does the form 3x2+7y2-15z2 represent zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to calculate Hasse Invariant and the discriminant of this form.

After that there's a theorem that gives conditions for which this form represents zero.
I can't recall the condition but I think Hasse Invariant, should be equal
(-1,-d(f)) where d(f) is the discriminant and (,) is Hilbert Symbol, after now after I checked my notebook, yes I am correct.

****, what a memory...

Related to Quadratic forms with p-adic coefficient

1. What are quadratic forms with p-adic coefficients?

Quadratic forms with p-adic coefficients are mathematical functions that involve a combination of squares of variables and coefficients that are integers in the p-adic number system.

2. How do p-adic quadratic forms differ from traditional quadratic forms?

P-adic quadratic forms are different from traditional quadratic forms because they are defined over the p-adic number system instead of the real or complex number system. This means that the coefficients and variables in p-adic quadratic forms take on values in the p-adic numbers, which have unique properties and behaviors compared to traditional numbers.

3. What are some applications of quadratic forms with p-adic coefficients?

Quadratic forms with p-adic coefficients have a wide range of applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. They are also used in the study of quadratic forms over non-archimedean fields, which has implications in areas such as algebraic number theory and representation theory.

4. What is the significance of p-adic quadratic forms in mathematics?

P-adic quadratic forms are important in mathematics because they provide a powerful tool for studying number systems that are not well understood using traditional methods. They also have connections to various areas of mathematics, making them a useful tool for interdisciplinary research.

5. What are some open problems and current research in the field of p-adic quadratic forms?

Some open problems and current research in the field of p-adic quadratic forms include generalizing the theory to higher dimensions, studying the behavior of quadratic forms over more general p-adic fields, and investigating connections to other areas of mathematics such as modular forms and automorphic representations.