P-adic norm, valuation, and expansion

In summary, the book "P-adic numbers: An introduction" by Fernando Gouvea explains the p-adic expansion of rational numbers and introduces the concept of p-adic absolute value. The author defines the valuation and discusses how it relates to the p-adic absolute value and the p-adic expansion. The p-adic norm can be directly read off from the p-adic expansion, and numbers with a p-adic norm of 1 have a non-zero constant term in their p-adic expansion.
MostlyHarmless
In this book I'm working from (P-adic numbers: An introduction by Fernando Gouvea), he gives an explanation of the p-adic expansion of a rational number which I'm pretty sure I understand this, but a bit later he talks about the p-adic absolute value, which from what I understand is the same as the norm. He defines the valuation like this:
...Define ##v_p: ℤ-0\rightarrowℝ## then for each integer ##n≠0## let ##v_p(n)## be the unique positive integer satisfying ##n=p^{v_p(n)}n'## with p not dividing n'...

Which I can understand that, my interpretation is that this is basically another way of decomposing an integer that emphasizes the prime factor that we care about. So ##v_p(n)## is just the exponent on p in the the prime factorization of n.

Then he discusses the p-adic absolute value, and in short he defines it as
$$
|x|_p=\left\{
\begin{array}{l}
|x|_p=p^{-\alpha}\text{ if } p^{\alpha}|x\\
|x|_p=1 \text{ if }p\not|\text{ } x
\end{array}
\right.
$$

I'm a little foggy as to how these 3 things are related. I'm pretty sure he defines the valuation the way he does for the proof that ##|x|_p## is a metric. But I don't see how the expansions are related.

I've resolved this question. When we find the p-adic expansion we can directly read off the value of the p-adic norm. Numbers whose p-adic norms are equal to 1 correspond to the numbers who p-adic expansions have a non-zero constant term.

Related to P-adic norm, valuation, and expansion

1. What is the P-adic norm?

The P-adic norm is a mathematical concept used in number theory to measure the size of a number in terms of its prime factors. It assigns a value to a number based on how many times the prime factor P appears in the number's prime factorization. The larger the number's P-adic norm, the "bigger" the number is considered to be.

2. How is the P-adic norm calculated?

The P-adic norm is calculated by finding the highest power of P that divides into the number. For example, the P-adic norm of 12 would be 2, since 2 is the highest power of 2 that divides into 12 (2^2 = 4, which evenly divides into 12).

3. What is the P-adic valuation?

The P-adic valuation is a related concept to the P-adic norm. It is also used in number theory to measure the size of a number, but it takes into account the negative powers of P as well. It is calculated by finding the highest power of P that divides into the number, including negative powers. For example, the P-adic valuation of 12 would be 2, but the P-adic valuation of 1/12 would be -2.

4. How is the P-adic valuation used in number theory?

The P-adic valuation is used in number theory to help solve problems related to divisibility and primes. It is also used in the study of p-adic numbers, which are extensions of the rational numbers that are useful in solving certain types of equations.

5. What is the P-adic expansion?

The P-adic expansion is a way of representing a number using the base P instead of the usual base 10. It is similar to a decimal expansion, but instead of powers of 10, it uses powers of P. This is particularly useful when working with P-adic numbers, as it allows for easy computation and comparison of numbers.