Quadratic Equations - Condition for real roots

In summary, the range of m for which at least one of the following equations has real roots is $(12, 36, 72)$
Saitama

Homework Statement

Let ##a,b,c## and ##m \in R^{+}##. Find the range of ##m## (independent of ##a,b## and ##c##) for which at least one of the following equations, ##ax^2+bx+cm=0, bx^2+cx+am=0## and ##cx^2+ax+bm=0## have real roots.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start. If the quadratic has real roots, the discriminant is greater than or equal to zero. This would give me three inequations for each quadratic but how should I deal with "at least" one of the equation having real roots?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Let ##a,b,c## and ##m \in R^{+}##. Find the range of ##m## (independent of ##a,b## and ##c##) for which at least one of the following equations, ##ax^2+bx+cm=0, bx^2+cx+am=0## and ##cx^2+ax+bm=0## have real roots.

Homework Equations

I don't really know where to start. If the quadratic has real roots, the discriminant is greater than or equal to zero. This would give me three inequations for each quadratic but how should I deal with "at least" one of the equation having real roots?
$$b^2-4acm \geq 0 \\ c^2-4bam \geq 0 \\ a^2-4cbm \geq 0$$
I'm confused as to your meaning in the first sentence. Was what you meant equivalent to ##\{a,b,c,m\}\subset\mathbb{R}_{+}##?

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Break the problem into three cases.
1. Assume that the first equation has real roots.
2. Assume that the second equation has real roots.
3. Assume that the third equation has real roots.

For each case, what can you say about the discriminant, which will have a different form for each case? I haven't worked the problem, but this is how I would approach it.

Adding to what Mandelbroth said, [itex]b^2- 4acm\ge 0[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]m\le b^2/4ac[/itex], [itex]c^2- 4bam\ge 0[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]m\le c^2/4ab[/itex], and [itex]a^2- 4cbm\ge 0[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]m\le a^2/4bc[/itex]. If you do not know any relations among a, b, and, c, the most you can say is that at least one of those must be true.

One of the 3 inequalities with ##m## on the left side must have the greatest value on the right hand side.
That would be the one with the greatest value in the numerator.

Suppose ##a## has the greatest value.
So ##a \ge b## and ##a \ge c##.
Then what can you say about this greatest right hand value for sure?

Mark44 said:
Break the problem into three cases.
1. Assume that the first equation has real roots.
2. Assume that the second equation has real roots.
3. Assume that the third equation has real roots.

For each case, what can you say about the discriminant, which will have a different form for each case? I haven't worked the problem, but this is how I would approach it.
I suggest it would be easier to invert the logic: suppose none of them has real roots. Then you can look for a way of combining the inequalities that eliminates a, b and c. For an m that satisfies the condition that emerges, there likely exists a triple (a, b, c) s.t. none of the equations has real roots (but you'll need to show the triple does exist). Finally, you need to show that for all other m no such triple exists.

I like Serena said:
One of the 3 inequalities with ##m## on the left side must have the greatest value on the right hand side.
That would be the one with the greatest value in the numerator.

Suppose ##a## has the greatest value.
So ##a \ge b## and ##a \ge c##.
Then what can you say about this greatest right hand value for sure?

I have three inequalities,
##m\le b^2/4ac, m\le c^2/4ab## and ##m\le a^2/4bc##.

For ##a\geq b## and ##a \geq c##, ##a^2/4bc## has the greatest value. What next? :confused:

haruspex said:
I suggest it would be easier to invert the logic: suppose none of them has real roots. Then you can look for a way of combining the inequalities that eliminates a, b and c. For an m that satisfies the condition that emerges, there likely exists a triple (a, b, c) s.t. none of the equations has real roots (but you'll need to show the triple does exist). Finally, you need to show that for all other m no such triple exists.

When none of them has real roots, the inequalities are
##m> b^2/4ac, m > c^2/4ab## and ##m > a^2/4bc##
Adding the inequalities,
$$12m>\frac{a^3+b^3+c^3}{abc}$$
What should I do next? I can find the minimum value of RHS of inequality but I don't think that would help. :rolleyes:

Pranav-Arora said:
I have three inequalities,
##m\le b^2/4ac, m\le c^2/4ab## and ##m\le a^2/4bc##.

For ##a\geq b## and ##a \geq c##, ##a^2/4bc## has the greatest value. What next? :confused:

With ##a\geq b## and ##a \geq c##, you get that ##a^2 \ge bc##, ...

I like Serena said:
With ##a\geq b## and ##a \geq c##, you get that ##a^2 \ge bc##, ...

The only thing I understand is that the minimum value of ##a^2/(4bc)## is 1/4.

The point is, which m satisfies all inequalities? For m to be greater than all 3, it must be greater than the greatest.

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
When none of them has real roots, the inequalities are
##m> b^2/4ac, m > c^2/4ab## and ##m > a^2/4bc##
Adding the inequalities,
$$12m>\frac{a^3+b^3+c^3}{abc}$$
What should I do next? I can find the minimum value of RHS of inequality but I don't think that would help. :rolleyes:
Adding them didn't get rid of a, b and c. Try something else... something, shall we say, more productive :wink:

Oh, I didn't understand what was meant by "independent of a,b,c", I see now that it means "find a range of m that will guarantee one of these has real solutions given a,b,c > 0".

Pranav-Arora said:
The only thing I understand is that the minimum value of ##a^2/(4bc)## is 1/4.

Yes. So without any knowledge of a, b, and c, you can still guarantee that there will be a solution as long as ##0<m \le \,^1\!\!/\!_4##.

haruspex said:
Adding them didn't get rid of a, b and c. Try something else... something, shall we say, more productive :wink:

Multiply the inequalities?
That gives $$m>\frac{1}{4}$$
I think this means that m should be less than or equal to 1/4 so that at least one of them have real roots. So I guess this is enough for the question?

I like Serena said:
Yes. So without any knowledge of a, b, and c, you can still guarantee that there will be a solution as long as ##0<m \le \,^1\!\!/\!_4##.

Yep! :approve:

Both the solutions are interesting, thank you both ILS and haruspex! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
m should be less than or equal to 1/4 so that at least one of them have real roots. So I guess this is enough for the question?
You've shown that no matter what a, b and c are, if there are no roots then m > 1/4.
[itex]\forall a \in\Re^+ \forall b \in\Re^+ \forall c \in\Re^+, m \in [0\frac 14] \Rightarrow \exists (a root) [/itex]
Equivalently
[itex]m \in [0\frac 14] \Rightarrow (\forall a \in\Re^+ \forall b \in\Re^+ \forall c \in\Re^+, \exists (a root)) [/itex]
The question (I think) asks for the complete range R of m for which, no matter what a, b and c are, there are guaranteed some roots.
[itex]m \in R \Leftrightarrow (\forall a \in\Re^+ \forall b \in\Re^+ \forall c \in\Re^+, \exists (a root)) [/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Quadratic Equations - Condition for real roots

1. What is the condition for a quadratic equation to have real roots?

The condition for a quadratic equation to have real roots is that the discriminant (b2-4ac) must be greater than or equal to 0.

2. How do you find the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation can be found by using the formula b2-4ac, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation (ax2+bx+c).

3. What does the value of the discriminant indicate about the roots of a quadratic equation?

If the discriminant is greater than 0, the equation will have two distinct real roots. If the discriminant is equal to 0, the equation will have one real root. And if the discriminant is less than 0, the equation will have no real roots.

4. Can a quadratic equation have more than two real roots?

No, a quadratic equation can only have a maximum of two real roots.

5. What happens to the roots of a quadratic equation if the discriminant is 0?

If the discriminant is 0, the equation will have one real root. This means that the two solutions will be the same, resulting in a double root.