How do I find the minimum of 5a + b?

In summary: I don't know what it is. But they've given an answer. I think I know what it is. But proving it is the problem.In summary, The minimum value of 5a + b can be found by expressing a in terms of b and using the relation between a and b in the equation. It is important to note that the equation may have complex roots and the crucial observation is that b^2 = 20a. The problem does not specify that a and b have to be integers, so the answer may not be an integer.
baldbrain

Homework Statement

If ax2 - bx + 5 = 0 does not have two distinct real roots, find the minimum value of 5a + b.

2. Homework Equations

The Quadratic Formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Here, D = b2 - 4a(5) = b2 - 20a
D ≤ 0 b2 ≤ 20a b ≤ ±2√(5a)
Also, an obvious observation is that b ≤ 0, since, the quadratic does not have two distinct real roots, all coefficients and the constant are of same sign. So, for a, (-b), 5 to be all positive, b must be non-positive.
But how do I arrive at 5a + b?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've made a mistake. From [itex]b^2 \leq 20a[/itex], one cannot say that [itex]b \leq 2 \sqrt{5a}[/itex].

Ok, ±2√(5a).

Last edited:
Also, an obvious observation is that b ≤ 0, since, the quadratic does not have two distinct real roots, all coefficients and the constant are of same sign. So, for a, (-b), 5 to be all positive, b must be non-positive.
(I've now included that in the OP too)
But what next?

I think I know how to solve this. The crucial observation is that b^2 = 20a. See if you can explain why.

Well, b2 may equal 20a. Or, the maximum value of b2 is 20a.
So, (b2/4)|max = 5a (b/2)2|max = 5a
verty said:
See if you can explain why.
Because the roots are non-distinct. But how does that seem to give a clue about 5a + b?

Last edited:
Well b has two possible values, right? This is all the help I can give because I don't want go too far with helping.

yeah, they are ± 2√(5a).
Now, I'm thinking graphs. The maxima/minima of any quadratic in x occurs at b/2a [since our 'b' is -b] & it's value is -D/4a.
By the way, you know that they're expecting an integral value, right? Not an answer in terms of a or b

Last edited:
baldbrain said:

Homework Statement

If ax2 - bx + 5 = 0 does not have two distinct real roots, find the minimum value of 5a + b.

2. Homework Equations

The Quadratic Formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Here, D = b2 - 4a(5) = b2 - 20a
D ≤ 0 b2 ≤ 20a b ≤ ±2√5a
The square root of 20a is not 2√5 a.
Express a with b, and use this relation between a and b in 5a+b.

ehild said:
Express a with b, and use this relation between a and b in 5a+b.
Ok, 5a ≥ b2/4 or 5a|min = b2/4
But still, you can only eliminate anyone of a & b. We need an integral solution to this.

baldbrain said:
But still, you can only eliminate anyone of a & b. We need an integral solution to this.
You need to find the minimum of A=5a+b. You know that 5a≥b2/4, that is A=5a+b≥b2/4+b.
What is the minimum value of A?

Likes SammyS
A|min = b2/4+b. That's simply it. How do we get an integral value to that?

Last edited:
baldbrain said:
Also, an obvious observation is that b ≤ 0, since, the quadratic does not have two distinct real roots, all coefficients and the constant are of same sign.
It might be obvious, but it's incorrect.

The solutions to the equation ##ax^2 - bx + 5 = 0## are ##x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 20a}}{2a}## If ##b^2 < 20a##, the roots are complex, and this would include some positive values of b, depending on the value of a.

One thing that hasn't been touched on so far is that the equation "does not have two distinct real roots." This means that there could be one repeated root (Disc = 0) or two complex roots (D < 0).

baldbrain said:
D ≤ 0 b2 ≤ 20a b ≤ ±2√(5a)
This is wrong as well.
If ##b^2 \le 20a## then ##-2\sqrt{5a} \le b \le 2\sqrt{5a}##. This is different from what you wrote.

Likes baldbrain and nuuskur
Express ##a = a(b) ## or ##b = b(a) ##, then minimise the function ##A(a):= 5a + b(a) ## or ##B(b) := 5a(b) + b##.

verty said:
The crucial observation is that b^2 = 20a.
Not necessarily. The problem statement includes the possibility that the roots are complex, in which case ##b^2 < 20a##.

Likes baldbrain
baldbrain said:
baldbrain said:
A|min = b2/4+b. That's simply it. How do we get an integral value to that?

Where in your problem statement was there any requirement that ##a## and ##b## be integers?

Likes nuuskur
Ray Vickson said:
Where in your problem statement was there any requirement that ##a## and ##b## be integers?
The answer they've given is an integer.

The answer they gave is to the question "what is the minimal value of ## 5a+b##". You could have coefficients like ##1.73 ## and ##0.73## or some such.

nuuskur said:
The answer they gave is to the question "what is the minimal value of ## 5a+b##". You could have coefficients like ##1.73 ## and ##0.73## or some such.
No. I think you misunderstood. Their is answer is actually a specific integer (that's one drawback of giving answers. You tend to think in the reverse direction which halts the learning process sometimes).

I played around with the problem a bit. Assuming ##b^2 = 20a ## the function of interest is ##B(b) := \frac{b^2}{4} +b ##. If we are to minimise it then the derivative test gives us a candidate for extremum at ##b=-2 ##. The second derivative test confirms it's a minimum point.

Now, one has to explore what happens when the roots can be arbitrary complex numbers.

Likes baldbrain
nuuskur said:
I played around with the problem a bit. Assuming ##b^2 = 20a ## the function of interest is ##B(b) := \frac{b^2}{4} +b ##. If we are to minimise it then the derivative test gives us a candidate for extremum at ##b=-2 ##. The second derivative test confirms it's a minimum point.

Now, one has to explore what happens when the roots can be arbitrary complex numbers.
Wait a minute, are you sure?
I got the extremum value as -1 at b = -2

Yes, it was a typo, I fixed it.

nuuskur said:
played around with the problem a bit. Assuming b2=20ab2=20ab^2 = 20a the function of interest is B(b):=b24+bB(b):=b24+bB(b) := \frac{b^2}{4} +b . If we are to minimise it then the derivative test gives us a candidate for extremum at b=−2b=−2b=-2 . The second derivative test confirms it's a minimum point
Can you tell me what thought processes prompted you to do the derivative test?
-1 is the right answer

If you are given a function ##f(x) ## that is differentiable and you are asked to find its extrema, then the first thing you do is solve ##f'(x) = 0 ##.

The initial problem is not solved, though. If ##-1## is the right answer, then you have to show ##b^2<20a \implies 5a + b\geq -1 ##.

nuuskur said:
If you are given a function ##f(x) ## that is differentiable and you are asked to find its extrema, then the first thing you do is solve ##f'(x) = 0 ##.
What I mean to say is I get what you did, but I didn't get why.
We already got the function B = b2/4 + b by taking the minimum value of 5a. So why minimise again?

@verty largest b given a. b2 equal to 20a or less than that.

got the function B = b2/4 + b by taking the minimum value of 5a
underlined part is unclear. I assumed ## b^2=20a## holds and parametrised the expression ##5a+b## with respect to ##b##. The graph of the resulting function ##B## is just a square parabola so there's no secret what its extremum point is.

nuuskur said:
underlined part is unclear. I assumed ## b^2=20a## holds and parametrised the expression ##5a+b## with respect to ##b##. The graph of the resulting function ##B## is just a square parabola so there's no secret what its extremum point is.
5a ≥ b2/4 right? So the minimum value of 5a is b2/4. Can't neglect that possibility.
Hence, the B ≥ b2/4 + b. Again, B|min = b2/4 + b.

Likes nuuskur
I think we need to clear up whether ##a## and ##b## are meant to vary. There was no "given ##a##, ##b##, if ##ax^2 - bx + 5##", it just said "if ##ax^2 - bx + 5##", those variables are unbound, IMHO. But it could be a convention that ##a##,##b## don't vary but ##x##,##y## do.

Ignore this, I was confusing myself.

Last edited:
To elaborate more, B ≥ b2/4 + b is a family of parabolas for all values of b and the 'greater than part' represents the locus of the points outside the interval (α,β) if they're the roots of B

baldbrain said:
The answer they've given is an integer.

That is just an accident. The question itself did not specify that ##a## or ##b## need be integers. Likewise, it did not specify that ##5a+b## need be an integer, but possibly with non-integer ##a,b##. Of course, I am assuming you wrote out a complete statement of the question that was given to you.

Ray Vickson said:
That is just an accident. The question itself did not specify that ##a## or ##b## need be integers. Likewise, it did not specify that ##5a+b## need be an integer, but possibly with non-integer ##a,b##. Of course, I am assuming you wrote out a complete statement of the question that was given to you.
Yes, I did. But B when differentiated gives -1 as the extremum has some connection for sure.

nuuskur said:
You have the condition ##|b| < 2\sqrt{5a} ## to consider. Given the initial post, ##a \geq 0?## may be arbitrary.
For which value of ##b## is the vertex of the resulting parabola lowest possible?
b=-2

Sorry, my reply was unnecessarely complicated. Given ##b^2< 20a ## it holds that ##5a+b > \frac{b^2}{4} + b ##, thus it suffices to minimise ##B##.

Ray Vickson said:
I'm not sure I'm getting your point.