QM: Time development of the probability of an Eigenvalue

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Quantum Mechanics related to atomic and molecular physics. The question is about how the probability of a certain measurement changes over time. The solution involves using the time development equation for a wave function and calculating the probability using the wave functions for different states. The mistake was found in the calculation of <\Psi_2|\hat{A}|\Psi_2>, which should have been 1/2(a2 + a1) instead of 1/2(a2 - a1).
Smalde
The problem is actually of an introductory leven in Quantum Mechanics. I am doing a course on atomic and molecular physics and they wanted us to practice again some of the basics.
I want to know where I went conceptually wrong because my answer doesn't give a total probability of one, which of course is wrong.

Homework Statement

[tex]\hat{H}\Psi_1=E_1\Psi_1\quad and\quad\hat{H}\Psi_2=E_2\Psi_2[/tex]

[tex]\phi_1=(\Psi_1-\Psi_2)/\sqrt2\quad and\quad\phi_2=(\Psi_1+\Psi_2)/\sqrt2[/tex]

[tex]\hat{A}\phi_1=a_1\quad and\quad\hat{A}\phi_2=a_2[/tex]

The question goes like this: Assuming you measure A^ and find a1, then how does the probability of finding the same result (a1) change over time?

Homework Equations

Well, the only important equation is the time development for a wave function in an eigenstate of the Hamilton Operator.

[tex]\exp(-iE_jt/\hbar)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After measurement the wave function collapses so the state wave function becomes Φ1. Since we know that [tex]\phi_1=(\Psi_1-\Psi_2)/\sqrt2\ [/tex] we know that the time-dependent wave function will be: [tex]\Psi=(\Psi_1\exp(-iE_jt/\hbar)-\Psi_2\exp(-iE_jt/\hbar))/\sqrt2\ [/tex]

Thus if we take [tex]<\Psi|\hat{A}|\Psi> [/tex] it is
[tex]<(\Psi_1\exp(-iE_jt/\hbar)-\Psi_2\exp(-iE_jt/\hbar))/\sqrt2\ |\hat{A}|(\Psi_1\exp(-iE_jt/\hbar)-\Psi_2\exp(-iE_jt/\hbar))/\sqrt2\ > [/tex]
[tex] = 1/2 (<\Psi_1|\hat{A}|\Psi_1> + <\Psi_2|\hat{A}|\Psi_2> - 2<\Psi_1|\hat{A}|\Psi_2>\cos((E1-E2)t/\hbar))[/tex]
[tex] = 1/2 ( 1/2(a_1+a_2) + 1/2(a_2-a_1) - 2<\Psi_1|\hat{A}|\Psi_2>\cos((E1-E2)t/\hbar)))[/tex]
[tex] = 1/2( a_2 - \cos((E_1-E_2)t/\hbar))(a_2-a_1))[/tex]
[tex] = a_2/2 - \cos((E_1-E_2)t/\hbar))(a_2-a_1)/2[/tex]

I don't think this can be true, since when the cosinus is 0 the result is a2/2, thus violating the fact that the sum of the factors should be one... And when one is to insert t=0 one becomes a1/2 and not a1 as expected.

Could someone tell me where I went conceptually wrong? Thanks in advance :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I calculated again and my mistake was with [tex]<\Psi_2|\hat{A}|\Psi_2>[/tex]
It is 1/2(a2 + a1) not 1/2(a2 - a1)

Related to QM: Time development of the probability of an Eigenvalue

1. What is the time development of the probability of an Eigenvalue in Quantum Mechanics?

The time development of the probability of an Eigenvalue in Quantum Mechanics refers to the change in the likelihood of measuring a specific Eigenvalue over time. This is described by the Schrödinger equation, which determines how the state of a quantum system evolves over time.

2. How is the probability of an Eigenvalue calculated in Quantum Mechanics?

In Quantum Mechanics, the probability of measuring a specific Eigenvalue is calculated using the wave function, which describes the state of a quantum system. The square of the wave function gives the probability density of finding the system in a particular state or Eigenvalue.

3. What is the significance of the time development of the probability of an Eigenvalue in Quantum Mechanics?

The time development of the probability of an Eigenvalue is crucial in understanding how quantum systems evolve over time. It allows us to predict the probability of measuring a specific Eigenvalue at a certain time, which is essential in many applications of Quantum Mechanics, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

4. Can the time development of the probability of an Eigenvalue be observed in experiments?

Yes, the time development of the probability of an Eigenvalue can be observed in experiments. For example, in the double-slit experiment, the probability of an electron hitting a specific location on the screen changes over time as the electron travels through the slits and interferes with itself.

5. Are there any practical implications of the time development of the probability of an Eigenvalue in Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, the time development of the probability of an Eigenvalue has practical implications in various fields, such as quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum sensing. It allows us to manipulate and control the probability of different Eigenvalues, which is essential in these applications.