QM:Expectation values and calculating probabilities

In summary: I think so because I think now I need to multiply the two probabilities together to get \frac{16}{169} Then I need to repeat the process for the state \phi_2 :In summary, an operator corresponding to a physical quantity, alpha, has two normalized eigenfunctions, psi_1(x) and psi_2(x), with eigenvalues a_1 and a_2. An operator corresponding to another physical quantity, beta, has normalized eigenfunctions, phi_1(x) and phi_2(x), with eigenvalues b_1 and b_2. When alpha is measured, the value a_1 is obtained. If beta is
Wavefunction

Homework Statement

An operator [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex], corresponding to a physical quantity [itex]\alpha [/itex], has two normalized eigenfunctions [itex]\psi_1(x)\quad \text{and}\quad \psi_2(x)[/itex], with eigenvalues [itex]a_1 \quad\text{and}\quad a_2[/itex]. An operator [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex], corresponding to another physical quantity [itex]\beta[/itex], has normalized eigenfunctions [itex]\phi_1(x)\quad \text{and}\quad \phi_2(x)[/itex], with eigenvalues [itex]b_1 \quad\text{and}\quad b_2[/itex]. [itex]\alpha [/itex] is measured and the value [itex]a_1[/itex] is obtained. If [itex]\beta[/itex] is then measured and then [itex]\alpha [/itex] again, show that the probability of obtaining [itex]a_1[/itex] a second time is [itex]\frac{97}{169}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The eigenfunctions are related via:

[itex] \psi_1 = \frac{(2 \phi_1+3 \phi_2)}{\sqrt{13}}[/itex]
[itex]\psi_2 = \frac{(3 \phi_1-2 \phi_2)}{\sqrt{13}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay now I know I can represent [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] by:
[itex]|\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{13}}\begin{pmatrix}2&3\\3&-2\end{pmatrix}|\phi\rangle[/itex]

I also know that initially:

[itex]\mathbf{A}|\psi\rangle = a_1|\psi\rangle = \frac{a_1}{\sqrt{13}}\begin{pmatrix}2&3\\3&-2\end{pmatrix}|\phi\rangle[/itex] which I can then bra through by [itex]\langle \psi|[/itex] in order to get [itex] a_1 \langle \psi |\psi \rangle [/itex]

Here's where I'm stuck, but I think maybe I should repeat the above process with the respective operators to get something like [itex]\langle\mathbf{A}_{\alpha}\rangle \langle\mathbf{B}_{\beta}\rangle \langle\mathbf{A}_{\alpha}\rangle[/itex]

However, I'm unsure because I'm not very familiar with QM and I'm trying to prepare for the class before it begins this fall. Thanks for your help everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a lot simpler than that -- I suspect you're over-thinking the problem.

I'm not sure how much I should give away in a first response, so I'll just offer an initial hint:

What is the probability that a state prepared in state ##\psi_i## will be detected as state ##\phi_j## ?
In other words, what is ##P(\phi_j|\psi_i)## (which is read as "probability of ##\phi_j##, given ##\psi_i##) ?

BTW, which textbook(s) are you working from? If you have Ballentine, then you might be able to deduce the answer to my question from his eq(2.28).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
strangerep said:
It's a lot simpler than that -- I suspect you're over-thinking the problem.

I'm not sure how much I should give away in a first response, so I'll just offer an initial hint:

What is the probability that a state prepared in state ##\psi_i## will be detected as state ##\phi_j## ?
In other words, what is ##P(\phi_j|\psi_i)## (which is read as "probability of ##\phi_j##, given ##\psi_i##) ?

BTW, which textbook(s) are you working from? If you have Ballentine, then you might be able to deduce the answer to my question from his eq(2.28).

Well the text I have is Modern Quantum Mechanics 2nd Edition by J.J. Sakurai; however, I'm just picking random problems from different sources to get a feel for QM. This particular problem is from here: http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/node44.html

In regards to the problem:[itex] P(\phi_j|\psi_i) = |\langle \phi_j|\psi_i\rangle|^2 [/itex] correct? So then the probability of measuring [itex] b_1[/itex] when the system is in the state [itex] \psi_1 [/itex] is [itex] |\langle \phi_1|\psi_1\rangle|^2=\frac{4}{13} [/itex]

Wavefunction said:
In regards to the problem:[itex] P(\phi_j|\psi_i) = |\langle \phi_j|\psi_i\rangle|^2 [/itex] correct? So then the probability of measuring [itex] b_1[/itex] when the system is in the state [itex] \psi_1 [/itex] is [itex] |\langle \phi_1|\psi_1\rangle|^2=\frac{4}{13} [/itex]
Correct, so having measured ##b_1##, the system is now in the state ##\phi_1##. Then a third measurement is made, this time for A. What is the probability that, for your system in the state ##\phi_1##, that you measure ##a_1##?

Likes 1 person
CAF123 said:
Correct, so having measured ##b_1##, the system is now in the state ##\phi_1##. Then a third measurement is made, this time for A. What is the probability that, for your system in the state ##\phi_1##, that you measure ##a_1##?

Ah okay that would be [itex] |\langle \psi_1|\phi_1\rangle|^2 =\frac{4}{13}[/itex]

Wavefunction said:
Ah okay that would be [itex] |\langle \psi_1|\phi_1\rangle|^2 =\frac{4}{13}[/itex]
Correct, can you finish the problem?

Likes 1 person
CAF123 said:
Correct, can you finish the problem?

I think so because I think now I need to multiply the two probabilities together to get [itex] \frac{16}{169} [/itex] Then I need to repeat the process for the state [itex] \phi_2 [/itex]:

[itex] |\langle \phi_2|\psi_1\rangle|^2 = \frac{9}{13} [/itex]

Measuring [itex] \mathbf{A} [/itex] again:

[itex] |\langle \psi_1|\phi_2\rangle|^2 = \frac{9}{13} [/itex]

Multiplying together: [itex] \frac{81}{169}[/itex]

Now adding the two together yields [itex] \frac{16+81}{169} = \frac{97}{169} [/itex]

Yes, looks fine.

Likes 1 person

Related to QM:Expectation values and calculating probabilities

What is the concept of expectation values in quantum mechanics?

The concept of expectation values in quantum mechanics refers to the average value of a physical quantity that is obtained from a large number of measurements on a quantum system. It is a key concept in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and is calculated using the wave function and the operator corresponding to the physical quantity being measured.

How do you calculate the expectation value of a physical quantity in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of a physical quantity in quantum mechanics is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the wave function and the corresponding operator over all possible states of the system. This integral is then divided by the total probability of all possible states, which is equal to 1.

What is the relationship between expectation values and probabilities in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the expectation value of a physical quantity is related to the probability of obtaining a specific measurement. This means that the square of the expectation value is equal to the probability of measuring the physical quantity in that particular state.

What does the uncertainty principle tell us about expectation values in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that the expectation values of position and momentum cannot be known with absolute certainty, and there will always be some degree of uncertainty in their values.

How are expectation values used in practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Expectation values are used in practical applications of quantum mechanics to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of quantum systems. They are essential in understanding and predicting the outcomes of experiments and in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and cryptography.