QM laws fundamental vs effective

In summary: The issue is some interpretations assume a sub-quantum world from which QM emerges as an approximation. Primary state diffusion is one example, Nelson stochastics is another, and even BM is often viewed that way.Of course if true there will be deviations from QM that may be able to be experimentally checked one day.
zonde
Gold Member
I have impression that physicists consider QM laws as fundamental, meaning that there should be a way how QM mathematical form is realized in reality.

On the other hand QM laws could be effective laws resulting from some process of evolution. In that case it should be possible to characterize QM laws by apparent purposefulness.

Is my impression justified? - that second option is not considered.

Physics news on Phys.org
The option that QM is only an effective theory is considered by GRW and dBB. In Valentini's picture of dBB, the QM laws do result from some evolution. It may be possible to view dBB as arising from apparent purposefulness, but one would have to solve an inverse calculus of variations problem. (I was recommended to look at Enzo Tonti's work for the inverse calculus of variations problem some time ago on PF).

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0403034
Dynamical Origin of Quantum Probabilities
Antony Valentini, Hans Westman

Last edited:
atyy said:
The option that QM is only an effective theory is considered by GRW and dBB. In Valentini's picture of dBB, the QM laws do result from some evolution. It may be possible to view dBB as arising from apparent purposefulness, but one would have to solve an inverse calculus of variations problem. (I was recommended to look at Enzo Tonti's work for the inverse calculus of variations problem some time ago on PF).

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0403034
Dynamical Origin of Quantum Probabilities
Antony Valentini, Hans Westman
I had some questions on mind and I wanted to find out if there is meaningful context in which I can ask these questions. So if you say that in context of dBB it is meaningful to ask questions about apparent purposefulness of QM laws let me ask this:
Does it seems reasonable to say that apparent purpose of unitary evolution is to fulfill Pauli exclusion principle?

zonde said:
I have impression that physicists consider QM laws as fundamental, meaning that there should be a way how QM mathematical form is realized in reality.

Most, including me, consider them fundamental. But the fact is we simply do not know - we have interpretations where its not the case eg Primary State Diffusion.

Thanks
Bill

zonde said:
Does it seems reasonable to say that apparent purpose of unitary evolution is to fulfill Pauli exclusion principle?

Its a theorem from QM's basic axioms, nothing to do with the Pauli Exclusion Principle:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.0779

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Most, including me, consider them fundamental. But the fact is we simply do not know - we have interpretations where its not the case eg Primary State Diffusion.

Thanks
Bill
But this Primary State Diffusion interpretation still considers that quantum systems are coherent sort of "naturally", right? And in that sense they consider QM as fundamental.

What I mean by QM not being fundamental is something like this. Quantum systems are interacting with environment constantly and so they become somewhat random. But they maintain coherence by some rather sophisticated mechanism. Sort of decoherence on it's head.

zonde said:
But this Primary State Diffusion interpretation still considers that quantum systems are coherent sort of "naturally", right?

I have no idea what you mean by that.

The issue is some interpretations assume a sub-quantum world from which QM emerges as an approximation. Primary state diffusion is one example, Nelson stochastics is another, and even BM is often viewed that way.

Of course if true there will be deviations from QM that may be able to be experimentally checked one day.

Thanks
Bill

Related to QM laws fundamental vs effective

What are the fundamental laws of quantum mechanics?

The fundamental laws of quantum mechanics are the principles and equations that govern the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They include the Schrödinger equation, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and the principles of superposition and entanglement.

What are effective laws in quantum mechanics?

Effective laws in quantum mechanics are simplified equations or models that are used to describe the behavior of particles in certain situations. They are often derived from the fundamental laws and are useful for making predictions and calculations.

What is the difference between fundamental and effective laws in quantum mechanics?

The fundamental laws of quantum mechanics are the underlying principles that govern the behavior of particles, while effective laws are simplified models that are derived from the fundamental laws and are useful for making predictions and calculations.

How are fundamental laws and effective laws related in quantum mechanics?

Fundamental laws and effective laws are related in that the effective laws are derived from the fundamental laws and are based on them. This means that the predictions and calculations made using effective laws are ultimately based on the fundamental laws.

Why are effective laws necessary in quantum mechanics?

Effective laws are necessary in quantum mechanics because the fundamental laws are often too complex to be applied to certain situations. Effective laws provide simplified models that are easier to work with and can still accurately describe the behavior of particles in many cases.