Does String Theory Justifiably Extend Gravitational Laws to Sub-Planck Lengths?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of Planck length in string theory and whether or not it is justifiable for physicists and mathematicians to assume that gravitational laws extend to sub-Planck length. The thread was closed due to a violation of forum rules and the use of a popularization as a source. The possibility of asking a different question was also mentioned.
john t
I posted this earlier, but the thread has been closed.

String theorists frame much of their studies in the context of Planck length. The theories are meant to fold together QM and general relativity. The equation for Planck length includes the gravitational constant, G. It seems to me the theorists are assuming the gravitational laws extend to the sub-Planck length and are trying to force the conclusions along those lines. Is this considered justifiable by physicists/mathematicians?

I got an unhelpful reply from wierdoguy, who discounted the question because it was prompted by my reading of a well-footnoted but non-textbook category book, he derided as pop science. This repliy strikes me as contemptuous of books written by experts who are striving to bring complex subjects into an accessable form for people outside their field. I would welcome further comment if purposeful.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, a quick public service announcement: Restarting a closed thread is specifically prohibited by the forum rules. If you believe that a thread was closed prematurely, you can ask that it be reopened: report the post announcing the closure and explain why you want the thread reopened. Just restarting the thread comes across as contempt for both the forum rules and the unpaid volunteers who make it work.
With that said...

A thread that starts with the premise "It seems to me the theorists are assuming the gravitational laws extend to the sub-Planck length and are trying to force the conclusions along those lines" based on a Brian Greene book isn't going to be reopened. We have close on two decades of experience to show that an "it seems to be me [that there's a fallacy here]" drawn from a popularization isn't going to lead to a productive discussion - there are too many ways that the popularization, although well-intended, will be an inadequate representation of the actual thinking. This is (one of the reasons) why we have the acceptable sources rule.

It may be that you're actually trying to ask a different question: Why do we expect the gravitational constant to to be relevant to string theory even though we know perfectly well that classical general relativity won't work unmodified at the length scales where string theory is relevant? If that's what you're trying to ask, it's a better question (and the fact that the answer is not apparent to you from Greene's book just goes to show the limitations of the popularization). Let me know by PM if that's closer to your question.

This thread is closed, and the other one will reman closed, pending further discussion.

Likes ZapperZ, anorlunda and berkeman

Related to Does String Theory Justifiably Extend Gravitational Laws to Sub-Planck Lengths?

1. What is string theory and how does it relate to gravity?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the laws of gravity with the laws of quantum mechanics. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings. These strings interact with each other and create the forces of nature, including gravity.

2. How does string theory explain the concept of gravity?

According to string theory, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy. The strings in string theory vibrate at different frequencies, and the different frequencies correspond to different particles and forces. The frequency of the string determines the strength of its gravitational interaction with other strings.

3. Is string theory considered a complete theory of gravity?

No, string theory is still a work in progress and is not yet considered a complete theory of gravity. It is a highly complex and abstract theory that is still being explored and developed by scientists. There are also other theories, such as loop quantum gravity, that attempt to explain the concept of gravity in a different way.

4. Can string theory be tested or proven?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence that directly supports or disproves string theory. However, scientists are working on ways to test the predictions of string theory, such as through particle accelerators and observations of the universe. It is also important to note that even if string theory is not directly testable, it can still be a valuable tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of the universe.

5. What are some potential implications of string theory for our understanding of the universe?

If string theory is proven to be correct, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially unify all of the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, and provide a deeper understanding of the nature of space and time. It could also lead to new technologies and advancements in areas such as quantum computing and energy production.