-qEx for a vertical spring in a constant Electric field

In summary: You have to make sure that the y you use in your kinematics equation is the same y you use in your force equation.In summary, a massless spring with a spring constant of 13 Newtons per meter is attached to a 20 Newton, 5(10-3) Coulombs charged particle. The particle is released from rest and there is a constant external Electric Field of 9000 Newtons per Coulomb pointing upwards. Using the conservation of energy, with the addition of -qEy to account for the electric force, the speed of the particle as it passes through the equilibrium point can be determined. The placement of -qEy on the correct side of the conservation equation is crucial. It is also important to
Albertgauss
Gold Member
A massless spring of spring constant k = 13 Newtons per meter hangs purely vertically. A 20 Newton, 5(10-3) Coulombs charged particle is attached to the spring and released from rest. Besides all this, there is also a constant, external Electric Field of 9000 Newtons per Coulomb pointing upwards. See figure below. After the release point, and assuming the particle only travels downwards and vertical, what is the speed of the particle as it passes through the equilibrium point? See the attached figure called "Figure_for_Problem.jpg"

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy, except that now we have a -qEx mixed in with the kinetic energy, mgy, and the spring potential energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am only having some trouble knowing what the sign on -qEy should be, and/or which side of the conservation of energy this term goes on.

A few thoughts: since the charge is +Q, it has lower (more negative) potential energy at the Release Point. Thus, on the equilibrium side of the equation, I would put y = 0. On the “release” point of the equation, I would write in –qEy, where q is +, E is +, and y is +. Is this correct? I can't get the latex on this website to work on my computer, so I uploaded a jpeg of where I am so I can keep all my symbols and subscripts.
Figure_for_Problem.jpg
MyAttemptedSolution.jpg

Attachments

• Figure_for_Problem.jpg
    Figure_for_Problem.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 422
  • MyAttemptedSolution.jpg
    MyAttemptedSolution.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Albertgauss said:
I would write in –qEy, where q is +, E is +, and y is +. Is this correct?
Looks right to me.
But are you encountering a problem when you try to solve it numerically? If so, consider what the electric force is on the particle.

Ok, sounds good to me. I can take it from there. I've already worked through the numbers a few times and this was the only part I was unsure about. Thank you for your help.

Albertgauss said:
Ok, sounds good to me. I can take it from there. I've already worked through the numbers a few times and this was the only part I was unsure about. Thank you for your help.
And you didn't notice anything strange? What answer did you get? What was the value of y?

The "y" was 1.9 meters. You can find that from the equilibrium position of the particle. You do Newton's Laws, ∑F = ma. That gives +QE -mg +ky = 0

So then y = ( mg - QE ) / k = (20-45)/ 13 = -25/13.

There is also a problem in that, if you keep going with the numbers in the energy conservation of the slide, the velocity turns out to be impossible because you end up, after some algebra, with something like: negative number = v^2. So, the numbers make the problem unable to be solved like this. I realize the parameters for m, Q, E, and k have to be adjusted so that the numbers make sense.

That's okay, though. I did get the help I needed, and that was to check where to place -QEy on the correct side of the conservation equation. This was the main issue I was having. I can fix the numbers later. I certainly appreciate this site's help on this.

Albertgauss said:
the parameters for m, Q, E, and k have to be adjusted so that the numbers make sense.
Yes, the electric force is greater then the gravitational force, so it will move up.

Related to -qEx for a vertical spring in a constant Electric field

1. What is the formula for calculating the force on a vertical spring in a constant electric field?

The formula for calculating the force on a vertical spring in a constant electric field is F = qE - kx, where q is the charge on the object attached to the spring, E is the strength of the electric field, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. How does the strength of the electric field affect the force on the spring?

The strength of the electric field directly affects the force on the spring. As the electric field becomes stronger, the force on the spring also increases. This is because the force on the spring is directly proportional to the electric field strength according to the formula F = qE.

3. Is the force on the spring always in the same direction as the electric field?

No, the force on the spring may or may not be in the same direction as the electric field, depending on the charge of the object attached to the spring. If the object has a positive charge, the force on the spring will be in the same direction as the electric field. However, if the object has a negative charge, the force on the spring will be in the opposite direction of the electric field.

4. How does the displacement of the spring affect the force in this scenario?

The displacement of the spring, represented by x in the formula F = qE - kx, affects the force on the spring by decreasing it. As the spring is stretched or compressed, the displacement increases, causing the force on the spring to decrease. This is due to the negative sign in the formula, which indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the displacement.

5. Can the force on the spring be negative in this situation?

Yes, the force on the spring can be negative in this situation if the object attached to the spring has a negative charge. This indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the electric field, which means the spring is being compressed instead of stretched.