Qestion: Vector field and (n-1)-form representation of current density

In summary: So, if we have a metric-dual, we have a Hodge-dual, too. This metric-dual is the 1-form wa which is the same 1-form va (in the sense of the dual space) that we can obtain from the vector field va. So, it can be very confusing to use the words metric-dual and Hodge-dual here, because they are all the same, they are all the 1-form wa, really.In summary, the relation between a vector field and a (n-1)-form in n-dimensional space is that the latter is the Hodge-dual of the metric-dual of the vector field, which can be obtained by using a metric. This is because
mma
Question: Vector field and (n-1)-form representation of current density

Electric current density can be represented by both a vector field and by a 2-form. Integrating them on a given surface must lead the same result. My question is, what is the relation between this vector field and the 2-form. More generally, in an n-dimensional space, between a vector field and an (n-1)-form, which results the same value when integrated on a (n-1) dimensional surface. Is the latter the Hodge-dual of the vector field regarded as an 1-form ? If yes, how can one see this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mma said:
Electric current density can be represented by both a vector field and by a 2-form. Integrating them on a given surface must lead the same result. My question is, what is the relation between this vector field and the 2-form. More generally, in an n-dimensional space, between a vector field and an (n-1)-form, which results the same value when integrated on a (n-1) dimensional surface. Is the latter the Hodge-dual of the vector field regarded as an 1-form ? If yes, how can one see this?
In n-dim, Hodge-duality relates a k-form with an (n-k)-multivector.
In 3-D, [tex]j^a=\epsilon^{abc}J_{bc}[/tex].
You may enjoy the URLs in these earlier threads:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=92472
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=89419
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=18963
http://www.ee.byu.edu/forms/

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Robphy, thank you very much.
Are you sure that I will find the answer for this question in these references? And before I read all you showed, could you tell me the answer? Yes, or no? Maybe it's trivial for you but not for me, in spite that I know the definition of the Hodge dual.
mma

The tensorial relation I gave shows how the current-vector is associated with a current 2-form, in 3-D space. I literally took the Hodge-dual.

As I said, "In n-dim, Hodge-duality relates a k-form with an (n-k)-multivector. " So, the "Hodge-dual of the vector field regarded as an 1-form" is incorrect... it is an (n-1)-form. I hope I understood your question.

In the old threads I listed,
the links to Burke's pages describes electromagnetism using differential forms... in fact, in a rather unique pictorial way... a sort of visual tensor algebra.
the links to Bossavit's Applied differential geometry discusses forms in more detail than Burke (Bossavit's goal is electromagnetism).
the BYU link describes a course in electrodynamics using differential forms.

The subject is not trivial [to me]... I still struggle with developing my intuition and understanding of them. I have offered a set of references that have helped me get to where I am now.

robphy said:
So, the "Hodge-dual of the vector field regarded as an 1-form" is incorrect... it is an (n-1)-form. I hope I understood your question.
Perhaps my English is too poor, sorry. I wanted to say that vector fields do not have Hodge dual, because only forms have it, so we have to regard this vector field as an 1-form (really, this 1-form is the dual of the vector field, but I wanted to avoid the usage of word "dual" in one sentence with two different meaning). The Hodge-dual of this 1-form is of course an (n-1)-form.
Thank you again the references, I will study them.

mma said:
Perhaps my English is too poor, sorry. I wanted to say that vector fields do not have Hodge dual, because only forms have it, so we have to regard this vector field as an 1-form (really, this 1-form is the dual of the vector field, but I wanted to avoid the usage of word "dual" in one sentence with two different meaning). The Hodge-dual of this 1-form is of course an (n-1)-form.
Thank you again the references, I will study them.
In my understanding, Hodge duality operates on totally-antisymmetric tensors, which include vectors va and 1-forms wa. Based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodge_star_operator , a metric is needed for the Hodge-dual to relate a k-form to a (n-k)-form... or a k-multivector to a (n-k)-multivector. [To distinguish the two duals, you could say metric-dual and Hodge-dual.]

Your restriction may depend on your starting definitions and specification of the available structures [e.g. volume form, metric, etc...], which you may wish to present here.

robphy said:
Hodge duality operates on totally-antisymmetric tensors, which include totally-antisymmetric tensors, which include vectors va and 1-forms wa.
Of course, va is an 1-form, but it acts on the dual space. That's why we must use for our purpose the metric-dual va of it (as long as I am right that the 2-form representing the current density is really a 2-form, and not a 2-multivector) . Certainly, this duality requires the same metric as the Hodge-dual requires.

Related to Qestion: Vector field and (n-1)-form representation of current density

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to represent the physical quantity of a vector, such as velocity or force, at every point in a space. It is often visualized as a collection of arrows, with the direction and magnitude of the arrows corresponding to the direction and strength of the vector at each point.

2. How is a vector field related to current density?

In the context of electromagnetism, current density is a vector quantity that describes the flow of electric charge through a given area. A vector field can be used to represent the current density at every point in space, with the direction and magnitude of the vector indicating the direction and strength of the current at that point.

3. What is the (n-1)-form representation of current density?

The (n-1)-form representation of current density is a mathematical tool used in differential geometry to describe the flow of a vector field through a given surface or region. It involves using differential forms, which are mathematical objects that generalize the concept of a vector, to represent the current density at each point on the surface.

4. How is the (n-1)-form representation of current density useful?

The (n-1)-form representation of current density allows for a more elegant and concise way of describing the flow of current through a surface or region. It also allows for the application of advanced mathematical techniques, such as Stokes' theorem, to analyze and solve problems involving current flow.

5. Are there any limitations to using the (n-1)-form representation of current density?

While the (n-1)-form representation of current density can be a powerful tool, it is not always necessary or practical to use in every situation. In some cases, a vector field representation may be more intuitive and easier to work with. Additionally, the (n-1)-form representation may not be applicable in certain non-linear or complex systems.