Q) What is the final temperature of the compressed air in degrees Celsius?

In summary, the problem involves a Jaguar XK8 convertible with an eight-cylinder engine. At the beginning of the compression stroke, one cylinder contains 493cm^3 of air at atmospheric pressure and a temperature of 27.0 degrees celcius. After compression, the air is compressed to a volume of 47.0cm^3 and the gauge pressure has increased to 2.80*10^6 Pa. The final temperature in degrees celcius is computed by converting celcius to kelvins and using the equation T2=P2*V2*T1/(P1*T2). The resulting temperature is 519.8825337 degrees celcius and the definition of gauge pressure is needed to solve
Azareus
1.A Jaguar XK8 convertible has an eight-cylinder engine. At the beginning of its compression stroke, one of the cylinders contains 493cm^3 of air at atmospheric pressure (1.01*10^5 Pa) and a temperature of 27.0 degress celcius . At the end of the stroke, the air has been compressed to a volume of 47.0cm^3 and the gauge pressure has increased to 2.80*10^6 Pa .

Q)Compute the final temperature in degrees celcius

When I do this problem I change celcius to kelvins and set up the equation in the form T2=P2*V2*T1/(P1*T2) and get and answer of 792.8825337 which i then convert back into celcius for a total of 519.8825337 degrees celcius. I have tried that number 520 to no avail. I have no hints from mp, I am just told that I am wrong. Maybe I just need to sleep on it, but any help as to what my error is would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of gauge pressure?

... le sigh. Thanks.

Related to Q) What is the final temperature of the compressed air in degrees Celsius?

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a fundamental equation that describes the behavior of an ideal gas at a constant temperature. It states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of particles present, and inversely proportional to its volume.

2. How do I solve Ideal Gas Law problems?

To solve Ideal Gas Law problems, you need to use the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin. Simply plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What units should be used for the variables in the Ideal Gas Law?

Pressure should be in units of Pascals (Pa), volume in cubic meters (m^3), number of moles (n) is unitless, and temperature should be in Kelvin (K). The ideal gas constant (R) has units of Joules per mole per Kelvin (J/mol*K).

4. What is the significance of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is important in understanding the behavior of gases and predicting their properties. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in the study of atmospheric gases, chemical reactions, and gas laws.

5. Can the Ideal Gas Law be applied to real gases?

The Ideal Gas Law is an approximation that is most accurate for low pressure and high temperature conditions. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures. However, the Ideal Gas Law is still useful for estimating the behavior of real gases under certain conditions.