How to Calculate Final Pressure of an Ideal Gas with Changing Conditions?

I am having trouble with this ideal gas laws question. The volume of 150 cm^3 of an ideal gas has an initial temperature of 20 degrees Celsius and an initial pressure of 1 atm. I need to find the final pressure if the volume is reduced to 100 cm^3 and the temperature is raised to 40 degrees Celsius. I keep getting an answer of 1.6, but it is marked as incorrect. Can someone please help me figure out what I am doing wrong?"In summary, the question involves using the ideal gas laws to calculate the final pressure of a gas with an initial volume of 150 cm^3, initial temperature of 20 degrees Celsius, and initial pressure of 1 atm.
astru025
Ideal gas laws question.. Help!

Homework Statement

Volume of 150cm^3 of an ideal gas has an initial temp. Of 20 degrees celcius and an initial pressure of 1 atm. What is the final pressure if the volume is reduced to 100cm^3 and the temp is raised to 40 degrees celcius.

Homework Equations

Pi x Vi / Ti = Pf x Vf / Tf

The Attempt at a Solution

1 atm x 150 cm^3 / 293 K = P x 100cm^3 / 313 K.
I keep getting 1.6, this answer is incorrect. I'm pretty sure my units are mixed up but I'm not sure what I need to fix. Any help would be great! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You really don't need to fix any units in this particular calculation. It looks like your answer is correct, unless you are required to give the answer as 1.6 atm.

Chet

Related to How to Calculate Final Pressure of an Ideal Gas with Changing Conditions?

1. What are the ideal gas laws?

The ideal gas laws are a set of mathematical equations that describe the behavior of an ideal gas. They relate the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas to each other.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas laws at all temperatures and pressures. It is assumed to have no intermolecular forces and negligible volume compared to the container it is in.

3. What are the assumptions made in the ideal gas laws?

The ideal gas laws assume that the gas particles have no volume, there are no intermolecular forces between the particles, and all collisions between particles and the container are perfectly elastic.

4. How are the ideal gas laws used?

The ideal gas laws are used to calculate the behavior of gases under different conditions. They can be used to predict the volume, pressure, or temperature of a gas if the other variables are known.

5. Are the ideal gas laws always accurate?

No, the ideal gas laws are only accurate for ideal gases at low pressures and high temperatures. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures due to intermolecular forces and the volume of the gas particles.