Q: Torque-speed? Motors and rotating plinths - Please help

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help from engineering experts to build a rotating plinth that can bear a weight of 1kg. They have found a small motor with specific specifications and are wondering if it is powerful enough for their purpose. They also ask for recommendations on a gearbox and if a dimmer switch can be used to adjust the RPM. Through the conversation, they find a motor with 31 stall torque which is more than enough to rotate the 1kg weight.
designchick
Dear engineering gurus,

I was wondering if some of you might be able to help me out with my project (2 part question):

I'm basically trying to make a rotating plinth (like those used
in jewelry displays - except i need it to bear a weight of 1kg.
(Most ready-made plinths won't take anywhere near that so i imagine id have to build my own.

Now I've come across a small motor (MM54) that has the following info for its specs:

Constant Volts: 6 - 9
Speed RPM: 8900 - 16200
Torque (g-cm): 174 - 236
Stall torque (g-cm): 980 - 1800

My first question is - would anyone know if this motor is powerful enough to take the weight of 1kg and still function?
(Am i right to be choosing a motor that has a high torque speed?) Is there another motor that someone could recommend that would suit my purpose?

Second question - As i need to bring this down to about 1 RPM, can anyone recommend a gearbox that will allow me to do this?
(Is this even possible with the motor I'm suggesting?)

Apologies if my questions seem a little inept - I've never done anything quite like this before. And i really really appreciate any help or suggestions...

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Go to www.ebay.com[/URL] and search for "gear motor". I got over 1000 hits. Some are around 1 RPM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for that.

I found 2 other motors that (i believe) seem more appropriate:

The one is: 12V, 1 RPM, 65 Stall-torque (in-oz)
The other is: 12V, 2 RPM, 31 Stall-torque

If i wanted to have a bit more control in the RPM, should i be getting
the second one that is 2RPM and then get a dimmer-switch type thing to adjust it?
Would that work?

And also, what is the relation between my 1kg weight requirement and the 'stall-torque'?
Is 31 stall-torque alot? does it equate to a weight capacity? Could i go for maybe something that has 7RPM but then only 16 stall-torque?

Thanks again.

1 kg is the just the vertical mass the unit has to support. The required torque is probably less than 0.5 inch oz (or maybe 10 gram-cm). If you get a dc one, you can adjust the speed by reducing the input voltage.

Ah ok,

So the 12V motor with 31 stall torque is more than 60x what i need to rotate the 1kg?

Great.

Thanks again for the help Bob.

Last edited:

Related to Q: Torque-speed? Motors and rotating plinths - Please help

Q: What is torque-speed?

Torque-speed is a measurement of the rotational force, or torque, produced by an electric motor at different speeds. It is typically graphed to show how the torque output of a motor changes as the speed of the motor increases.

Q: How is torque-speed related to motors?

Torque-speed is an important characteristic of motors because it determines the motor's ability to produce rotational force at different speeds. This is crucial for many applications, such as in industrial machinery and vehicles, where different speeds and levels of torque are required.

Q: What is a rotating plinth and how does it relate to torque-speed?

A rotating plinth is a platform that rotates around a central axis. It is often used in experiments or demonstrations to show the effects of torque and speed on an object. The relationship between torque and speed can be observed by varying the speed of the plinth and measuring the resulting torque.

Q: How is torque-speed measured?

Torque-speed is typically measured using a dynamometer, which is a device that measures torque and rotational speed. The torque is measured with a torque sensor and the speed is measured with a rotational speed sensor. These measurements are then plotted on a graph to show the relationship between torque and speed.

Q: How can torque-speed be calculated?

Torque-speed can be calculated by dividing the measured torque by the measured rotational speed. The resulting value is known as the torque-speed constant and is often used to compare different motors and their performance at different speeds.