Can someone help me chose a motor for my hand drill?

In summary, the person is looking for a small motor with enough power and torque to screw in the miniature screws as well as unscrew them without stripping the groves. They are also looking for a small motor with low rpm output.
Silverhobbiest
Background:
(I'm a beginner)
I plan on using PCV pipe for the main body. The drill's purpose will be to install screws into pre-cut groves (basically a motorized screwdriver). These screws will be only a couple centimeters tall so the motor will only need a moderate amount of torque and rpm. It takes about 3 turns to install these screws but i would like the fit to be tight so maybe a little more than that would be excellent. I would like this drill to be able to unscrew as well .

The problem:
I need to chose a small motor that has enough power/torque and rpm to screw in the miniature screws (as well as unscrew) without stripping the groves at a fast but controllable speed. The motor needs to be small but effective and precise. I'm just not sure what kind of motor fits these requirements. Please help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Although we have a huge variety of talent and knowledge here at PF and you may well get a good answer from someone, I would think that a hobbyist forum would be a lot better place to ask such a question.

Likes Silverhobbiest
Try looking up the technical details of commercially available powered screwdrivers to get some design ideas .

Likes Silverhobbiest
Most small motors will be way to fast for what you need so some sort of reduction gearbox will be required. This will also increase the torque and that might cause problems. I think you need to look for an adjustable means of limiting the torque and this is a feature of many commercial electric screwdrivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silverhobbiest and Merlin3189
You could certainly do that as a project but just keep the PVC small, 2 inch diameter max. Like the guy said, you would need a good speed reducing/torque increasing gear box and some motors have that built in. A machine I work on has an RF tuning box to tune a 1500 watt RF generator to an argon plasma in a vacuum and the tuner motors are kind of like the old clock motors, the rotor spins a couple hundred RPM but the output is more like 1 so it increases the torque 200 times in that case, it tunes a 'Jennings Capacitor', no relation to the famous Flux capacitor:), it is a variable cap inside a vacuum and has a drive that takes quite a bit of torque and it doesn't have to spin very fast, output maybe 30 RPM or so. You want high torque and low RPM output. I would look for those kind of motors on Ebay or Amazon, they should be available.

Likes Silverhobbiest
It is not clear to me why a commercially available tool can not work, or cannot be modified to work for you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...d=0ahUKEwjpzuCMq57RAhXIRSYKHctaD0AQ_AUIzwIoAQ

https://www.google.com/search?safe=......1ac.1.64.products-cc..0.13.498.MpqgppqobwQ
51KkvLH-9JL._SL1200_.jpg

10540882?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg.jpg

Cordless-Screwdriver1-300x300.jpg

Likes berkeman and Silverhobbiest
Silverhobbiest said:
The drill's purpose will be to install screws into pre-cut groves (basically a motorized screwdriver). These screws will be only a couple centimeters tall so the motor will only need a moderate amount of torque and rpm. It takes about 3 turns to install these screws but i would like the fit to be tight so maybe a little more than that would be excellent. I would like this drill to be able to unscrew as well
What is your clutch strategy? How will you switch the clutch mechanism to "locked" for unscrewing? :smile:

berkeman said:
What is your clutch strategy? How will you switch the clutch mechanism to "locked" for unscrewing? :smile:

I just planned on using a DPDT momentary ON/OFF/ON switch to reverse polarity. But being able to lock it woud be useful as well and I'm not quite sure how to do that.
As for how to make the clutch, I planned on using the chucks below since I have some handy. However, i'd prefer to use ones that looked like a hollow cylinder, (similar to the hand drills a user posted above) to make it easier to change bits. But since I can't order any
online, I'd have to make that by hand.
61V30EkFj5L._SL1001_.jpg

Related to Can someone help me chose a motor for my hand drill?

1. How do I determine the power and torque needed for my hand drill?

To determine the power and torque needed for your hand drill, you should consider the type of work you will be doing with the drill. If you will be using it for light tasks such as drilling small holes in soft materials, a lower power and torque motor will suffice. However, for heavy-duty tasks such as drilling through thick metal, you will need a more powerful motor.

2. What are the different types of motors available for hand drills?

The most common types of motors used in hand drills are brushed DC motors and brushless DC motors. Brushed DC motors are more affordable and suitable for basic tasks, while brushless DC motors are more efficient and durable, making them better for heavy-duty work.

3. Can I upgrade the motor on my existing hand drill?

It is possible to upgrade the motor on your hand drill, but it may not be worth the time and cost. The motor is not the only factor that determines the performance of a hand drill, so upgrading the motor may not significantly improve its overall performance. It is better to invest in a high-quality hand drill with a suitable motor for your needs.

4. How do I know which size and voltage motor is compatible with my hand drill?

The size and voltage of the motor needed for your hand drill will depend on the size and power requirements of your drill. It is essential to check the specifications of your hand drill before purchasing a motor to ensure compatibility. If you are unsure, it is best to consult with a professional or the manufacturer of your hand drill.

5. What are the benefits of a brushless DC motor for a hand drill?

Brushless DC motors offer several advantages over brushed DC motors for hand drills. They are more efficient, have a longer lifespan, and require less maintenance. They also provide smoother and more precise control, making them ideal for delicate tasks. However, brushless DC motors are typically more expensive than brushed DC motors.