Q re a photon ionizing a hydrogen atom

In summary, the discussion at hand revolves around the behavior of atoms after decoupling has completed, with a particular interest in the temperature of the intergalactic medium after reionization. @kimbyd has raised an issue regarding the dominance of interactions with photons from stars in determining the temperature. Despite efforts to find information on this topic from various sources, such as the three books listed, a satisfactory answer has not been found. The hope is that someone may have insight or a recommended source to shed light on this matter.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
How is the size calculated of the area near a hydrogen atom that a photon must hit to ionize the atom?
This question is a followup to another thread.
I would like to explore the issue raised by @kimbyd.
. . . after reionization the temperature of the intergalactic medium is dominated by interactions with photons from stars.​
I have made an effort to find help on this topic from the Internet, but I have been unsuccessful. My search located three books that the local library system has available, and they superficially seemed to be promising, but when I tracked down the tables of contents it was quite disappointing.
1. Controlling the quantum world : the science of atoms, molecules, and photons / Committee on AMO 2010, Board on Physics and Astronomy, Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences​
2. Introduction to astrophysics / Professor Joshua N. Winn​
I am hoping someone might know the answer to the question in the summary, or can cite what they recommend as a useful source.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes vanhees71 and Buzz Bloom

Related to Q re a photon ionizing a hydrogen atom

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and has no mass. It is the basic unit of electromagnetic radiation and is responsible for all forms of light, including visible light, radio waves, and X-rays.

2. How does a photon ionize a hydrogen atom?

When a photon with enough energy collides with a hydrogen atom, it can knock an electron out of its orbit, causing the atom to become ionized. This process is known as photoionization and is a key mechanism for the absorption of light in the atmosphere and in stars.

3. What happens to the electron after it is ionized?

After being ionized, the electron gains enough energy to escape the atom's nucleus and becomes a free electron. It can then interact with other atoms or molecules, creating chemical reactions or generating an electric current.

4. How is the energy of a photon related to its ability to ionize an atom?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength. The higher the frequency (or shorter the wavelength) of a photon, the more energy it carries and the more likely it is to ionize an atom.

5. Can a photon ionize other elements besides hydrogen?

Yes, a photon can ionize any element that has electrons orbiting its nucleus. However, the amount of energy required to ionize an atom varies depending on its atomic structure, so the energy of the photon must be matched to the specific element in order for ionization to occur.