Does a 15 nm Photon Ionize a Ground State Hydrogen Atom?

In summary, the hydrogen atom in its ground state will be ionized by a photon with a wavelength of 15 nm, with a resulting kinetic energy of 69.1 eV for the electron when it moves away from its atom of origin. The ionization energy of the hydrogen atom is 13.6 eV, and the formula used to calculate the energy of the photon is E=h*c/w, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and w is the wavelength. However, if the hydrogen atom was in a different excited state, the ionization energy and resulting kinetic energy would be different.
ricky red
This is the exercise:
Suppose that an hydrogen atom in its ground state absorbs a photon whose wavelength is 15 nm. Will the atom be ionized? If so, what will be the kinetic energy of the electron when it
gets far away from its atom of origin?

i have no idea how to procede! Someone can help me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
first , what is the ionization energy? it is the minimm energy needed to remove an electron from an atom, and in your case you have a hydrogen atom which has an ionization energy of 13.6ev .. hint: you are given the wavelengeth of the photon find the energy from there then compare it with 13.6ev , if it is less then the atom won't be ionized .. if it is more then it will be ionized .. from there if it will be ionized, can you find out what will be the kinetic energy? ..

thanks for the hint. Well E=h*c/w =1.32E-17 J => 82.7 eV
So... Yes it will be ionized, and the kinetic energy should be 82.7-13.6 = 69.1 eV.
Is this right?

PS=don't know if this forum have an uniform use of the constant, in my calcolous:
h=planck costant, c=Speed of light and w = wavelenght

:) that seems logical enough and I believe that you got the right answer .. and welcome to the physics forum ..

but one thing I would like to add here, the problem you have would change, if for example the hydrogen atom wasnt in the ground state , if it was in the first excited state (second state) then you will need an energy of 3.4ev to ionize it ( since in this state it will have an energy = -3.4 ev, E2 = -13.6/4 ev )

Related to Does a 15 nm Photon Ionize a Ground State Hydrogen Atom?

1. What is ionization?

Ionization is the process in which an atom or molecule gains or loses electrons, resulting in a charged particle known as an ion.

2. How does ionization occur?

Ionization can occur through various methods, such as collisions with high-energy particles, exposure to strong electric fields, or absorption of high-energy photons.

3. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and has no mass. It behaves both as a wave and a particle.

4. How are ionization and photons related?

Ionization can occur when a photon with enough energy strikes an atom or molecule, causing an electron to be ejected and resulting in the formation of an ion.

5. What are the applications of ionization and photons?

Ionization and photons have various applications in fields such as chemistry, medicine, and technology. They are used in processes such as sterilization, cancer treatment, and communication technologies.